Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi folks.
Anyone play with ZFS storage pools? I am having a difficult time trying to force my pool to accept that when I move a file into it it still has to be able to be written and read and such by my other machines.
I have my hack with a 3X500Gb ZFS RAIDZ pool (which is RAID 5 equivalent), this is the base for my storage. I have the drives pretty much ready to swap in so that I can build up my storage from a 1Tb protected pool to hopefully a 6Tb protected pool in a month or so. I have a 3Tb drive, plus a couple of 2Tb drives that I can use once I am positive I have no problems with this storage.
To this machine I move files from a Windows 8 machine that I use to rip my DVD/Blurays into MP4 files. I am doing this slowly as I am having problems already. I rip, then I use therenamer to read year and proper title, and move it to my ZFS pool. My HTPC which is a shuttle PC running XBMCBuntu has to have read access to these files to be viewable on my big screen with surround sound. This whole scheme worked fantastic when my storage was my ailing old ACER H340 WHS machine, which provides nothing resembling redundancy.
So my hope was to build this server up, have files move from the ripper/t*****t machine which is in the group I've called MACHINES, and then be able to play with the HTPC (also in the group MACHINES) but the files also have to be available to the kids laptops and my wifes and my laptop, as well as the xbox in the basement, which I am thinking of upgrading to a Pi (sad that I consider that an upgrade).
As it stands.. I have the pool set. I set up permissions on it that say READ/WRITE by the group MACHINES, and read/write by the group ADULTS, with READ ONLY for the group KIDS. This seems to be ok, right up until I have the ripper move a new file, which gets its own directory. The directory for some reason is viewable, but the permissions are set so that I can see the contents of the directory, but I can't actually play the file, until I rerun permissions on the pool.
I need help in forming the proper commands, I know they are going to be text strings, so that the permissions are inherited through all the directories. I would be content with READ/WRITE ALL, I know it's bad, but I'd rather have it go then lose out on the nifty ZFS pool.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
ZFS has nothing to do with permissions.

The problem is likely to how the windows machine is connected to the file server - protocol (smb/nfs..) and which user it is logged in as. This will determine the file permissions when it's moved by therenamer.

Make sure the user that windows connects to the mac with is a member of the appropriate group. Don't know windows 8 but windows 7 open credential manager and remove what's currently there for the network share and add a new one with the user you want.

edit:it may also be the server which messes things up, depending on what user it requires to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back