2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Performa
  5. Power Mac
  6. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I have an Asus Zenbook UX31A touchscreen laptop, and I've been trying to put OS X Mavericks on it.

Specs are as follows:

Intel Core i5-3317u @ 1.70GHz.
Intel HD 4000 Graphics
4Gb RAM
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 wireless/bluetooth combo
128Gb ADATA SSD
Elantech touchpad
BIOS Version 216

I know that the touchscreen will probably not work without some expensive drivers, nor will wi-fi, but I'm fine with that. I also don't mind the Elantech touchpad not fully functioning although I did find some drivers for it that I want to test out.

My problems start when I format the SSD as a GPT drive using the unibeast installer. After I format and install, and even after running multibeast, there is no boot option in my BIOS. I can only boot from the USB, if I unplug the USB then it just skips to the BIOS. If I format my drive as MBR the my BIOS will recognize it, but of course, I can't install Mac OS onto a MBR drive.

The USB will only be recognized if I have launch CSM enabled, and I'm not sure what that does, but I think it boots to legacy BIOS. Hoping for some Clarification on that.

I can successfully boot to mavericks via the unibeast USB without any bootflags, but only after deleting all Bluetooth kexts and AppleHDA, which both cause boot hangs.

Also if anyone could point me to DSDT for zenbook ux31a bios version 216 that would be great. (found one for bios version 212 but not sure on full compatibility)

Thanks for any available help,

- Person123

Hi all,

I have an Asus Zenbook UX31A touchscreen laptop, and I've been trying to put OS X Mavericks on it.

Specs are as follows:

Intel Core i5-3317u @ 1.70GHz.
Intel HD 4000 Graphics
4Gb RAM
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 wireless/bluetooth combo
128Gb ADATA SSD
Elantech touchpad
BIOS Version 216

I know that the touchscreen will probably not work without some expensive drivers, nor will wi-fi, but I'm fine with that. I also don't mind the Elantech touchpad not fully functioning although I did find some drivers for it that I want to test out.

My problems start when I format the SSD as a GPT drive using the unibeast installer. After I format and install, and even after running multibeast, there is no boot option in my BIOS. I can only boot from the USB, if I unplug the USB then it just skips to the BIOS. If I format my drive as MBR the my BIOS will recognize it, but of course, I can't install Mac OS onto a MBR drive.

The USB will only be recognized if I have launch CSM enabled, and I'm not sure what that does, but I think it boots to legacy BIOS. Hoping for some Clarification on that.

I can successfully boot to mavericks via the unibeast USB without any bootflags, but only after deleting all Bluetooth kexts and AppleHDA, which both cause boot hangs.

Also if anyone could point me to DSDT for zenbook ux31a bios version 216 that would be great. (found one for bios version 212 but not sure on full compatibility)

Thanks for any available help,

- Person123

ASUS BIOS is picky and will not boot legacy to a GPT partitioned drive. Sometimes installing the bootloader to the EFI partition helps. See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

As far as booting without flags, it is probably a graphics issue, for which you should inject the proper ig-platform-id. It primarily depends on your screen resolution, which you have not specified.

As far as DSDT, you should patch your own.

Please provide complete details in your profile.

System: manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx). For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Hi RehabMan, Thanks for the quick reply!

I ended up disabling VT-d in the BIOS which allowed me to boot without deleting bluetooth and had kexts.

Also, I went out and bought a TP-Link USB wireless adapter which works great with realtek drivers, for about $10. Did this because I still have warranty and I don't want to replace the chip already inside.

As for booting, I managed to figure out I had to manually add the boot path, and installed clover. I can now boot through clover without the USB, with CSM disabled.

Turns out the the elantech drivers I wanted to test work quite well, having multi-touch support such as two finger scrolling and basic swiping.

I have one problem left, though. I cannot log into iCloud, or the App Store when I boot from clover, nor can I access iTunes. In iTunes I get an unknown error (-50) and in the App Store I get an error saying my device or computer could not be verified.

This laptop does not have an ethernet port, just a usb adapter, which i'm hoping is not problematic given that I've read that you need working ethernet. Also, I've tried to generate the most real SMBios.plist as possible.

Any help on the App Store and iTunes problem?

Thanks so much!

- Person123

Hi RehabMan, Thanks for the quick reply!

I ended up disabling VT-d in the BIOS which allowed me to boot without deleting bluetooth and had kexts.

Also, I went out and bought a TP-Link USB wireless adapter which works great with realtek drivers, for about $10. Did this because I still have warranty and I don't want to replace the chip already inside.

As for booting, I managed to figure out I had to manually add the boot path, and installed clover. I can now boot through clover without the USB, with CSM disabled.

Turns out the the elantech drivers I wanted to test work quite well, having multi-touch support such as two finger scrolling and basic swiping.

I have one problem left, though. I cannot log into iCloud, or the App Store when I boot from clover, nor can I access iTunes. In iTunes I get an unknown error (-50) and in the App Store I get an error saying my device or computer could not be verified.

This laptop does not have an ethernet port, just a usb adapter, which i'm hoping is not problematic given that I've read that you need working ethernet. Also, I've tried to generate the most real SMBios.plist as possible.

Any help on the App Store and iTunes problem?

Thanks so much!

- Person123

See here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/122884-mac-app-store-access-nullethernet-kext.html

Will try now.

Hi,

I was about to try the NullEthernet fix, but something was wrong before, and I had to end up re-installing.

Now, I am stuck without any working bootloader;

When using Chimera from MultiBeast, there is no boot option in BIOS, and I don't know where the boot file (.efi) is, if there is one for Chimera, like there is for Clover.

When using Clover, I can boot to the boot menu, but I get some weird boot hangs that I cannot resolve. I got clover working earlier before everything went wrong, but I don't understand what's going on now.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

- Person

Hi,

I was about to try the NullEthernet fix, but something was wrong before, and I had to end up re-installing.

Now, I am stuck without any working bootloader;

When using Chimera from MultiBeast, there is no boot option in BIOS, and I don't know where the boot file (.efi) is, if there is one for Chimera, like there is for Clover.

When using Clover, I can boot to the boot menu, but I get some weird boot hangs that I cannot resolve. I got clover working earlier before everything went wrong, but I don't understand what's going on now.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

- Person

EFI files are not used in legacy bootloaders like Chimera/Chameleon.

EFI files are not used in legacy bootloaders like Chimera/Chameleon.

Alright, that's what I thought.

Do you have any insight on how I can get either Chimera or Clover working?

I'm leaning towards Chimera, because I have a bit more experience in it, and I don't mind using booting legacy.

Thanks.

Alright, that's what I thought.

Do you have any insight on how I can get either Chimera or Clover working?

I'm leaning towards Chimera, because I have a bit more experience in it, and I don't mind using booting legacy.

Thanks.

Either Chimera/Chameleon/Clover will work no problem with your hardware...

ASUS machines can be quirky booting legacy to GPT drives, but there are work arounds (installing the bootloader to EFI partition).

Hello, Rehabman, I've posted several threads in my HP Envy 14. Sorry, I can't send you the private mail for some reason. (I haven't reached 75 messages yet).

I again apologize writing on one of unrelated thread. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back