Contribute
Register

Z97X-UD5H Random Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be wary of introducing a new BIOS in before doing Clover. I'd decide to do one or the other.

However I can state that my Z97X UD5H is stable with the f6 BIOS under Clover. YMMV.

Rob.

I have very random freezing issues. Just went over a couple of weeks without one. Then once yesterday after plugging in a USB 3.0 card reader into one of the front ports. Two more freezes this morning at random in quick succession and it is been fine ever since. I do sleep/wake and power off my system. I have made no changes so it is strange that I started to get some freezing after a long trouble free period.

I am going to try Clover again. The last time I tried Clover I really messed up my system. I have too much work to do right now to risk it so I will wait. I think I will try the bootable USB test drive as this should do nothing to harm my system.

I would be very careful about updating the BIOS (F9 is it?) as from what I can see you cannot roll back to a previous version if you encounter a problem. Could solve the problem or create a potential brick.

Had all those issues as well on Z87-HD3. Only clover installation solved it for me. Other than that, I've tried pretty much everything I could find on the net.

I have very random freezing issues. Just went over a couple of weeks without one. Then once yesterday after plugging in a USB 3.0 card reader into one of the front ports. Two more freezes this morning at random in quick succession and it is been fine ever since. I do sleep/wake and power off my system. I have made no changes so it is strange that I started to get some freezing after a long trouble free period.

I am going to try Clover again. The last time I tried Clover I really messed up my system. I have too much work to do right now to risk it so I will wait. I think I will try the bootable USB test drive as this should do nothing to harm my system.

I would be very careful about updating the BIOS (F9 is it?) as from what I can see you cannot roll back to a previous version if you encounter a problem. Could solve the problem or create a potential brick.

Yeah I have heard USB 3 thrown around a little, one thing I didn't try was disabling the controller. I'm on the F8 bios currently and yeah haven't gone to F9 for that reason of not being able to roll it back. Will try clover first on a spare SSD :)

i have a card reader as well as two USB 3 and two USB 2 ports on the front of my machine.

i am constantly plugging stuff in and out of all the ports and never had a freeze. I moved just under 100gb onto a backup disk yesterday and it was fine.

This is all through the internal usb on the motherboard

Just to give everyone an update, gave clover a quick go and didn't have much luck getting it up and running so took a break until I have more time. I went up to F9 bios with another install and it still crashed however removing 2 sticks of ram seems to have stopped the issue. Seems to be some problem running 4 sticks / quad channel? Definitely not size related as it happened with 4 x 4gb and 4 x 8gb but its fine with 2 x 8gb.

Going to see what other settings might help to get 32gb running.

It is a brand new set of Vengeance Pro 1866 32GB kit, runs perfectly in Windows including gaming, had the same issues with the previous set of ram as well. For some reason its 4 sticks that is causing it on mine. Just tried the F10b bios as well and same result.

Ok but have you gone onto the Corsair website and checked that the exact memory that you have is specced as working with the UD5H?

I had quick look and there are a number of 1866 models that could be yours.

http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/new_configurator_product_results.aspx?sc=&id=6109625

Do you have one of these exact models?

Screen Shot 2015-06-14 at 09.53.19.png

I know it works in Windows but clearly you have a memory problem. I also know that I have a Z97X UD5H with 32GB which has no memory issues and mine gets hammered very day.

Rob.

Yup thats the memory, like I said it looks like a memory issue but there is more too it... Cant have 2 faulty sets of memory that work perfectly in Windows or anything else other than OS X. Searching the forums I have found similar reports on Z87 platforms as well from other users.

Weird that only some people have the issue but yeah I'm struggling to find anything else that is different in my rig. Previously I was using my ram in the Z68X-UD3H-B3 and it was flawless.

Might try playing with memory voltages etc to see if anything improves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back