Register

Z97x MB Won't boot with OC 0.6.6 USB : Invalid Boot Disk

• Thread starter Deleted member 188658
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 188658

Since doing a NVRAM reset on a Z97x Gaming 7 rig, and losing the OC boot, I have been trying to get a USB stick to boot.

I have loaded 0.6.6. on the USB, and used ocvalidate and slow geek sanity checker to validate it. But when I attempt to boot from the stick on the teriminal responds with the message "Invalid Boot disk" ( words not exact ) and to press any key to select a new disk.

I don't get any other messages on the terminal, even though I have the debug switch set with the -v option ( and other options)

If I put this same USB stick in my other Hackintosh - Z390 Asus - it boots to the disk selector just fine.

I completely reinitialized the USB, erased, Install Big Sur all following the Opencore guide, and tried again with the same result.

The rig is a dual boot, and I have no trouble booting from the Windows 10 disk. It has always been a dual boot host.

I am NOT trying to install Big Sur, that was running just fine up to Feb 2021 when I tried to update the boot disk EFI from 0.6.2 to 0.6.6. I'm just trying to boot the system to MacOS again.

Nothing is wrong with the boot disk itself - I'm pretty sure. The issue is that I can't get an OC EFI to even get to the disk selector screen.

No boot_log.txt file is recorded to the EFI folder on the USB stick. The BIOS sees the stick just fine, but it no longer sees the 0.6.2 OC on the MacOS disk any longer.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Likelihood is that clearing the NVRAM has wiped some of your Bios settings. I would recommend you look through the Bios and check that the options below are still set, so your system will boot macOS.

Disable​

• Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port/Super IO port
  • Parallel Port
  • VT-d
  • CSM
  • Thunderbolt
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)
    • For 10.10 and older, you'll need to enable AppleCpuPmCfgLock as well

Enable​

• VT-x
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB
  • SATA Mode: AHCI
Your system may not have all these settings, some may be hidden within other settings, CSM and UEFI booting being the ones to spring to mind.

You will also need to make sure your Graphics options are set correctly, i.e. Intel graphics enabled, and PEG or External set as default, so your RX580 is priority graphics option.

You may need to set the USB as the priority boot option in place of your Hard Drive or SSD, so the boot menu looks fo this device first.

Alternative is to present the F12 key when the system boots to bring up the Bios Boot Menu, and then to select the UEFI partition on the USB drive as the boot device. This is a one time setting, you would need to do this each time you wanted to boot from the USB, if you don't make the USB the default boot device in your bios.

@Edhawk

Thanks for the reply.

I have checked all the BIOS settings that you listed. I also confirmed that the AppleXcpmCfgLock is enabled - set to true- in the Kernel->Quirks.

I am using the F12 key option to select the USB stick boot. I but a Windows USB UEFI stick in, and I can boot from that (into Windows) I just can't boot from any OC USB stick or the Boot Disk OC EFI partition (which the BIOS no longer sees).

I took a photo of the screen when the USB stick fails to boot, this is what it says (a bios default message it seems):

Reboot and Select proper Boot Device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

Remember I can boot from this USB stick to the Boot Selector list on my OTHER Hackintosh, Z390 Asus.

So still stumped...

Oh my BIOS is the latest available version, F8 for this MB.

All of this worked before I attempted to go to OC 0.6.6

There were some significant changes in the jump from OC 0.6.5 to 0.6.6, specifically around the BootCamp setup. The Bootcamp folder has been removed from 0.6.6.

Have you checked your 0.6.6 folder is setup correctly? Did you create a new OpenCore setup when you updated the OC setup, or tweak your 0.6.5 setup?

I created a new OC setup for 0.6.6 twice.

Remember I can plug this same stick into my other Hackintosh and get to the boot menu when booting from it.

Well that says there is something wrong with your non-working system, what exactly I don't know, but it is not likely to be the OC folder/setup if it boots to the OC boot screen on a couple of similar Intel systems.

It is more likely to be a Bios issue or a specific device or motherboard component issue on the non-working system. Such as the USB or SATA ports &/or settings.

So you reset the Bios to 'Optimum Defaults' usually the F7 key on a Gigabyte board, and then made sure all the settings required for macOS were set correctly in the Bios, yes?

A Z97 system usually won't have the CFG Lock option available in the Bios, none of the Gigabyte systems I run have this option, so setting the CFG quirk is expected.

Hello from my Z07x Hackintosh.

I tried to Load Optimized Defaults in the BIOS. Still would not boot.

I re-flashed the Z97x BIOS with the latest F8 version - which it already had. Restored Optimized Defaults

Made sure Super I/O was disabled, along with VT-d, Secure Boot, Fast Boot.

Powered up twice.

On the SECOND power up (caused the first failed and gave me a heart attack) and using the F12 key to select the USB stick, OC 0.6.6. powered up and here I am back in the OS.

Don't trust this 6+ year old HW much anymore. Wonder if it is the battery on the CMOS? How could I tell?

Most obvious way to tell is if the Bios settings are lost, without you using the CMOS clear pins or having removed the battery.

Check the code on the current CMOS battery just to make sure you get a like-for-like replacement. My H97-D3H motherboard, which I happen to have out on my desk uses a CR 2032 3v Lithium battery. Your motherboard will use the same or a similar coin type battery.

Open the case and replace the current battery. Simple as swapping RAM sticks.

You will have to reset your Bios after swapping the battery.

A second attempt at a boot from the USB stick broke the SAME way.
Reboot and Select proper Boot Device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

The first successful boot, following a reflash of the BIOS, gave me the option to UEFI boot from the USB stick. That is no longer offered / seen by the bios. There is just the option to boot from the generic manufacture's name of the USB stick. Does that give us a clue?

I can no longer boot the OSX disk. I guess I will attempt to clear the CMOS on the board next time and if that fails I will have to reflash the BIOS yet again!

You shouldn't need to keep reflashing the bios. Have you changed/replaced the CMOS battery?

Do the other boot options remain accessible in the Bios Boot Menu, i.e. your macOS drive's EFI Partition, or do they all disappear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back