Contribute
Register

Z87E-ITX Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw, they have officially released version 2.20 on the website today; will upload the PMpatched update file shortly.

:thumbup:

Edit : 2.20 update patch uploaded to guide.

Edit : Asrock have removed 2.20 from their website for reasons unknown. I have removed the 2.20 information patch here as well in case there is something lurking in there that could be bad for us.

Further to a previous posting, I thought I would post a further little update.

I mentioned that I found something that sped up my system, well here it is.

This is relevant if you use an SSD as your system boot drive.

You need to make a change in the UEFI Bios as follows:

Go into UEFI Setup (Hit DEL Key at boot time)

Then go to:

Advanced -> Storage Configuration -> SATA3_0 (Or whatever your boot SSD is)

Then to 'SATA Device Type'

This option is changeable and has 2 options you can set : 'Solid State Drive' or 'Hard Disk Driver'

If you are using an SSD then go ahead and change it to 'Solid State Drive'

Save your settings and reboot.

I only spotted this option when I was trying to work out the PMPatch procedure, but I noticed immediately it made my system boot a few seconds faster and it all seems a lot smoother too with this enabled.

A very nice tweak if you havent found this option already !

:thumbup:

I'm expecting delivery of a Z87E-ITX today. Went looking for the 2.20 version of the BIOS on ASRock's website this morning and saw that it has been removed. Does anyone know why that is? Bought the board because this thread looked very promising...hope development isn't slowing down!

I'm expecting delivery of a Z87E-ITX today. Went looking for the 2.20 version of the BIOS on ASRock's website this morning and saw that it has been removed. Does anyone know why that is? Bought the board because this thread looked very promising...hope development isn't slowing down!

I noticed the update has been pulled as well. Not sure why as its working fine here. With or without it you can still happily run a hack though :)

After further investigation, it seems the memory speed reporting issue is not bios related.

This has been tested and verified with Asrock.

With all settings at default and XMP selected, the memory shows correctly in Windows 7 using CPU-Z.

In Linux Mint 16 it also shows both sticks operating at the correct speed.

Only OSX reports them incorrectly.

I have reported this in the Chimera Bug Reporting forum.

Further positive progress on this.

I have been sent a new beta bios, version 2.30A.

Asrock have worked on the power management bits of it, so we no longer need to patch the bios at all. 10.9 runs perfectly after flashing it. This is a big step forward for us :thumbup:

Memory speed reporting is still the same but Asrock have OSX installed at their end and say the memory speed reports correctly, so I am in further discussion regarding the settings they have used.

This is getting very close to being the ideal bios and board for OSX!

Kudos to Asrock for their continued support :cool:

Not sure if I am permitted to share this bios.

Version 2.30 is now available at the website, not sure of the difference to this one, but we are definitely on the right track.

My system was working close to perfectly. I had one issue with the machine going into a deep sleep after about 15 minutes of sleep and after that my bluetooth keyboard/mouse could no longer wake it up. All else was very good. That was until I applied the 2.30 BIOS a few moments ago! Boot loop. Can't boot from the HDD or from a unibeast USB stick. Guess I'll rollback or wait for the release of 2.30A. Do you have someone at ASRock that I can contact for the dev BIOS?

My system was working close to perfectly. I had one issue with the machine going into a deep sleep after about 15 minutes of sleep and after that my bluetooth keyboard/mouse could no longer wake it up. All else was very good. That was until I applied the 2.30 BIOS a few moments ago! Boot loop. Can't boot from the HDD or from a unibeast USB stick. Guess I'll rollback or wait for the release of 2.30A. Do you have someone at ASRock that I can contact for the dev BIOS?

I have it here but not sure if im really meant to give it out. You could always apply the patching procedure to 2.30 though....

Further progress is being made on this memory issue, and I think I know where the error is now, and it would seem that it is in fact bios related after all :rolleyes:

Take a look at the following thread for the gory details :

http://www.tonymacx86.com/chimera-bug-reports/118808-memory-speed-reporting-issue.html

In a nutshell, the memory speed is shown at 2 different locations. It looks like Windows and Linux use one of them to report the speed of the memory, but OSX/Chimera/Chameleon uses the other, where one of the values is indeed wrong.

I shall be passing that information to Asrock in due course.

Further positive progress on this.

I have been sent a new beta bios, version 2.30A.

Asrock have worked on the power management bits of it, so we no longer need to patch the bios at all. 10.9 runs perfectly after flashing it. This is a big step forward for us :thumbup:

Memory speed reporting is still the same but Asrock have OSX installed at their end and say the memory speed reports correctly, so I am in further discussion regarding the settings they have used.

This is getting very close to being the ideal bios and board for OSX!

Kudos to Asrock for their continued support :cool:

Not sure if I am permitted to share this bios.

Version 2.30 is now available at the website, not sure of the difference to this one, but we are definitely on the right track.
I've just downloaded the new 2.30 bios from ASRock website: PMPatch does patch it, and generates output files
Code:
Last login: Thu Dec 19 22:47:32 on console
Silent-Hack-ASRock:~ Giacomo$ /Users/Giacomo/Desktop/PMPatch /Users/Giacomo/Desktop/Z87EITX2.30 /Users/Giacomo/Desktop/Z87EITXpatch2.30 
PMPatch 0.5.14
PowerManagement modules not found.
PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi modules not found.
Trying to apply patch #1
Nested PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi module at 001DC664 patched.
AMI nest module at 002581C0 patched.
Phoenix nest modules not found.
CpuPei module at 00761200 not patched: Patch pattern not found.
Output file generated.
Silent-Hack-ASRock:~ Giacomo$
That means MSR 0xE2 module in bios is still locked, and in order to run Mavericks with native Kernel, flashing bios procedure is still required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back