Contribute
Register

Z790 Chipset & Raptor Lake

[..] The Z790 Aero G will support faster memory, but at the moment, the two boards benchmark the same. I am not sure I am going to spend money in the future on faster DDR5 ram as I already splurged for 6200MHz RAM.
Hello

Out of curiosity, what’s the highest RAM freq supported by your new MSI board?

Hello

Out of curiosity, what’s the highest RAM freq supported by your new MSI board?
Their website says
  • Supports DDR5 Memory, up to 6666+(OC) MHz

Memory over 6200 is pretty pricey now. I'm sure it will come down, but I'm not sure what the performance improvement is.

• Their website says
  • Supports DDR5 Memory, up to 6666+(OC) MHz

While I agree I do not agree :)

The Asus Z690 Creator specs page states max 6000 (OC) but I run happily DDR5-6000MT @ 6400 w/ tight timings. I hit a hard wall past that frequency, but consider also:
  • I did not want to increase voltages
  • I did not want to spend time loosing timings
Consensus is that Z790 boards are (might be) more optimised for higher freqs, but do not forget that
  • High freq memory was not available when in the Z690 introduction
  • They need to sell new boards (not saying they did not improve overall Z690 gen)

Gigabyte Z790 Aero G DDR5 Bios F3 build, Opencore 0.8.3 booting perfectly with @CaseySJ build based on Z690
The rear USB 2.0 doesn't work and neither does the internal audio, but the performance results are more than acceptable.

- Gigabyte z790 Aero G DDR5 Bios F3
- Intel i9 13900K
- Sapphire 6900 XT
- 2x 16gb Gskill ddr5 5600 CL36
- Gigabyte Titan Ridge (Flash)
- Fenvi T919
- Artic Freezer II RGB 420
01.png

02.png

Gigabyte Z790 Aero G DDR5 Bios F3 build, Opencore 0.8.3 booting perfectly with @CaseySJ build based on Z690
The rear USB 2.0 doesn't work and neither does the internal audio, but the performance results are more than acceptable.

- Gigabyte z790 Aero G DDR5 Bios F3
- Intel i9 13900K
- Sapphire 6900 XT
- 2x 16gb Gskill ddr5 5600 CL36
- Gigabyte Titan Ridge (Flash)
- Fenvi T919
- Artic Freezer II RGB 420
View attachment 560282
View attachment 560283
Great. Glad you got it up and running. Are you having the second sleep crash issue?

If you have a spare fan that is a 3pin voltage controlled fan, plug it into CPU_OPT. Set the CPU_OPT to use voltage in the Fan Setup in the bios. See if the fan stops spinning after waking from sleep. That is what my would do. I was cooking my CPU because the pump would stop running after sleep. I'm not sure if my board is defective, or if the bios is just screwed up. I would like to resell my Z790 Aero G, but don't want to do that if it is defective. If yours does the same thing, then I would know it is a bios issue that should be fixed eventually.

Great. Glad you got it up and running. Are you having the second sleep crash issue?

If you have a spare fan that is a 3pin voltage controlled fan, plug it into CPU_OPT. Set the CPU_OPT to use voltage in the Fan Setup in the bios. See if the fan stops spinning after waking from sleep. That is what my would do. I was cooking my CPU because the pump would stop running after sleep. I'm not sure if my board is defective, or if the bios is just screwed up. I would like to resell my Z790 Aero G, but don't want to do that if it is defective. If yours does the same thing, then I would know it is a bios issue that should be fixed eventually.
Ok, today I left the studio late, tomorrow I'll try it and tell you the results, by the way, did you manage to get the internal audio to work?

Ok, today I left the studio late, tomorrow I'll try it and tell you the results, by the way, did you manage to get the internal audio to work?
What issue or symptom are you experiencing regarding audio? Do you see audio input and output devices in System Settings —> Sound?

I only tested audio through my Apple Thunderbolt Display. I don't know if that actually exercised the internal audio or not. You may need to try different alcids in your boot arguments till you get it to work, ie alcid=7

What issue or symptom are you experiencing regarding audio? Do you see audio input and output devices in System Settings —> Sound?
Hi @CaseySJ, no they don't show up on the dashboard, it must be something different between the Aero G z690 and the Z790

Captura.png

I was investigating "within my little knowledge" but I am not able to see differences. I can really live without internal audio and usb2. Your EFI works perfectly in this system except for these two drawbacks, although this EFI is for another system, the result is amazing without changing anything from the original EFI.

I am attaching some files, maybe the solution is there, thank you very much for your constant work and happy holidays to all!

Attachments

• Data.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
Hi @nottooshabby, I've tried sleep, I don't know if I've done it right, but I think something similar to you is happening to me; In the "turn off computer" menu I have selected "sleep", all the lights and fans of the computer are turned off except the lighting of the ram memory, when I activate the keyboard or mouse (bluetooth both) the screens are activated, first one and then 5 seconds the other, it takes approximately 15 seconds to activate. Temperatures in order, fans working, everything correct. When I select "sleep" for the second time, the computer goes to sleep but only the screens turn off, the computer stays on but does not respond to mouse or keyboard movements, it gets stuck with a black screen and does not return to operation , you have to force shutdown. My AIO is connected to the "CPU FAN" header, I'm in Bios F3, I think this is a Bios bug because it happens to a lot of people, in my case it doesn't worry me because I don't use sleep, but I understand that for a lot of people who You need it, be an inconvenience, regards.

Back