Contribute
Register

Z77x-up5th hangs after a few minutes (post 2016-004 update)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370-HD3
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
hi everyone -

i am running a z77x-up5th with an nvidia GT640.

this thing was stable for months until yesterday when i applied security update 2016-004. now after a few minutes, the machine locks up hard.

in the past i had this behavior but the cure seemed to be to use the Nvidia web driver. i suspect some problem with the video driver since the security update broke the nvidia driver and i had to upgrade to the latest (via the control panel.)

the strange thing is that if i boot with -v -x, then immediately reboot, the system is stable. this is the same behavior i used to see before i installed the nvidia web driver years ago. until i installed the nvidia driver, i thought that the problem must have been related to the kernel caches...

what do you guys think? bugs in the nvidia driver? some other problem?

thanks, joe

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370-HD3
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
well, i don't know what was really going on with that... but i started over with clover and el capitan. i think the 640 is just not well supported by the native drivers - the system was pretty unstable with lots of memory errors after boot, and sometimes would KP after graphics were initialized during boot. this might essentially be the same thing, just happening earlier in the process.

installing the latest nvidia drivers for el capitan seems to have fixed this up. the system is more stable than it's ever been and i was even able to overclock it to 4.1ghz without tweaking anything... except for turning of EIST in the bios.