Contribute
Register

Z77X-UP5 + Thunderbolt Display = Intermittent Failed Boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for digging up a dead thread, but I just built my Z77X-UP5 system and I'm having the same intermittent kernel panics as the OP. Are you guys still having this issue? I tried Einsteiniac's solution but that doesn't make a difference for me.

The other issue I'm having is, when the system does boot successfully, none of the thunderbolt kernel extensions get loaded. So I get no sound output and no USB functionality, but oddly the ethernet port does get recognized.

Sorry for digging up a dead thread, but I just built my Z77X-UP5 system and I'm having the same intermittent kernel panics as the OP. Are you guys still having this issue? I tried Einsteiniac's solution but that doesn't make a difference for me.

The other issue I'm having is, when the system does boot successfully, none of the thunderbolt kernel extensions get loaded. So I get no sound output and no USB functionality, but oddly the ethernet port does get recognized.

I never found a solution for the KPs caused by the thunderbolt monitor. I ended up trading my thunderbolt monitor to a guy on Craigslist for the non-thunderbolt version of the cinema display. Plugs into the same port and works without issues for me.

Sucks to hear that, I didn't really want to drop $1000 on a display that they're going to kill off in the next year or so. Guess I'll just deal with it until a solution is found.

Yeah i weighed the pros and cons and decided i'd rather have a consistently working monitor than a spotty one. The LED cinema display needs a USB port connected in addition to the minidisplay port (not a big deal for me, I have a lot of unused USB ports on my mobo) and the back of the monitor is lacking a ethernet and firewire port compared to the thunderbolt monitor (again, not a big deal, i use wifi and have no use for firewire) the rest is the same. My mobo still has an extra unused thunderbolt port for future expansion.

I have a Z77X-UP4 TH with TB 27 display and found that booting was intermittent until I disabled GraphicsEnabler and set an EFI string for the HD4000. FWIW this is what I'm using-

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>7f0000000100000001000000730000000200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04002c0000004100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066006f0072006d002d006900640000000800000005006201140000006800640061002d0067006600780000000d0000006f6e626f6172642d31</string>

Though the camera/speakers dont seem to work using this string.

Would be interested to know what settings people are using and if they can reliably get the camera/sound to work.

Would be interested to know what settings people are using and if they can reliably get the camera/sound to work.

Wouldn't we all...

Are the USB ports working on the display? and which EFI string is that? When I injected the EFI string for platform id 01620005 it didn't help the boot problem.

Wouldn't we all...

Are the USB ports working on the display? and which EFI string is that? When I injected the EFI string for platform id 01620005 it didn't help the boot problem.

At the moment USB is not working, cant see any extra USB hubs in System Profiler. Nothing seems to be working except the Display Ethernet.

I only recently got this screen, and the first time I used the display it all worked properly (Camera, USB, etc), that was when I was using Chimera Graphics Enabler - and started OSX up with a DVI display connected.

Interestingly if a DVI display is connected the intermittent booting doesn't seem to be a problem.

Edit: EFI string is "ig-platform-id: 01620005, Stolen RAM for FB: 32MB, Pipes: 2, Ports: 3, FBMem: 2"

Have you tried flushing all your kernel caches? I did that when I was debugging the problem but not sure if it made a difference in my case.

I have had a few boots where everything (USB/Firewire/brightness control/speakers/camera) worked, but it's rare. I believe I did flush the kernel cache during my testing, but I don't think it made a difference.

I also had success with using a non-TB port (HDMI in my case) to avoid the kernel panics, but it's not a solution to the problem.

Is anyone getting kernel panics after the system has booted successfully? I'm getting them every couple days (max uptime was 7 days). My guess is that the display is not the problem, but I figured I'd ask here before ruling it out for sure.

I haven't been able to get much diagnostic info about the KP (the panic message said "spinlock acquisition timed out", but from what I've researched it's a pretty generic panic reason) and there's nothing in the logs that stand out.

My z77x-up4 seems stable. Light usage/heavy load doesn't seem to make any difference.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back