Contribute
Register

Z77X-UP5 + Thunderbolt Display = Intermittent Failed Boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, are your boot failures also intermittent? Sometimes it boots for me and everything works including camera and audio, other times it boots and camera and audio don't work, and other times I get that kernel panic! It seems random, which is really frustrating.

I'll just leave the BIOS alone then, it sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Yes, I get kernal panics randomly, same as you. Usually it takes three or four reboots before it successfully launches OS X for me.

EDIT:
Just out of curiosity what does the LED display on your mobo read? Mine says A0 which according to the manual means: IDE initialization is started. Should that LED display something else?

Yeah I get the same thing on boot up and every time it does it it is because I have something USB plugged in other than my keyboard. So for instance if I have my USB BT dongle in during boot it will KP. Or if I have an external HDD during boot it will KP.

Oddly enough though 90% of the time if I have one of those devices connected during boot but do a verbose boot it will work just fine. I haven't looked to see if I have legacy USB on in BIOS and was going to check that when I get home tonight.

The only time my devices in the monitor don't work is when I used to have to unplug the connector and replug in for video to sync. Since I have fixed that issue with EFI injection and setting the resolution using Graphics mode and using the bottom TB port that issue has gone away.

Mark

Yeah I get the same thing on boot up and every time it does it it is because I have something USB plugged in other than my keyboard. So for instance if I have my USB BT dongle in during boot it will KP. Or if I have an external HDD during boot it will KP.

Oddly enough though 90% of the time if I have one of those devices connected during boot but do a verbose boot it will work just fine. I haven't looked to see if I have legacy USB on in BIOS and was going to check that when I get home tonight.

The only time my devices in the monitor don't work is when I used to have to unplug the connector and replug in for video to sync. Since I have fixed that issue with EFI injection and setting the resolution using Graphics mode and using the bottom TB port that issue has gone away.

Mark

Ok, I've had some success using Einsteiniac's advice from here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...1216-10-8-how-enable-hd4000-6.html#post407512

(quoted below for reference)

I did UserDSDT, enabled ethernet with the intel, enabled audio 898 and changed the machine to iMac 12,2. Let that install and rebooted. Once rebooted then inject the efi string and set your resolution with graphics mode. Reboot again but make sure your BIOS is set to 32MB for video memory or I have seen it cause graphic glitches or KP's.

From there I have a particular issue with my board KP'ing if I have a USB device plugged in during boot other than my mouse and keyboard that I have not tracked down yet.

Mark

Some things of note:

I did not install Chimera from Multibeast. I ran Multibeast then I ran Chimera 1.11.0.

I went in and switched the video display to 32MB in the BIOS. Initially when I read the thread on HD 4000 I thought it needed to be set at 64MB, but it's actually 32MB.

I've rebooted about 5 times and no kernel panics yet. I haven't tried yet with my Bluetooth adapter or with any other USB devices plugged in (aside from keyboard and mouse) but I'll update this later after a few more reboots.

Airplay does not work for me. I had read that setting the system profile to iMac would allow that but no luck for me.

System sound seems to be working fine except for when I hit the volume up or down keys on the keyboard. By default there is this 'pop' sound that plays but it doesn't play for me.

The computer was unnamed when it booted up, but the icon showed the little iMac shape in the finder.

I tried rebooting with the "Reopen windows when logging back in" option - at the time I only had Safari open but when I logged back in Safari came up but was non-functional. I had to quit and restart the app to get it back again.

I'm attaching my multibeast settings for anyone interested. You can't see it in the shot but I've picked iMac 12,2 for the system definitions.

Attachments

• settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 154
Just got my GTX670 and my HD4000 working. Used the 01620005 EFI string.
2o3jV.png

Ok, I've had some success using Einsteiniac's advice from here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...1216-10-8-how-enable-hd4000-6.html#post407512

(quoted below for reference)

Sweet! Check out airparrot to trying to get your machine to do airplay. Also on hacks I've never had the "reopen windows" function work.

All of my audio works. I also don't use the "UserDSDT" function on Multibeast. I'll do a fresh install and reverify. Im about to test to see if I can get 4x monitors working.

Also try Mac Pro 3,1 for the SMBIOS

Just got my GTX670 and my HD4000 working. Used the 01620005 EFI string.

Sweet! Check out airparrot to trying to get your machine to do airplay. Also on hacks I've never had the "reopen windows" function work.

All of my audio works. I also don't use the "UserDSDT" function on Multibeast. I'll do a fresh install and reverify. Im about to test to see if I can get 4x monitors working.

Also try Mac Pro 3,1 for the SMBIOS

Ok so I reformatted/reinstalled using MacPro3,1 as the SMBIOS. Here's what I've seen so far:

Airplay works for audio, but not mirroring.

WiFi seems spotty. It says I'm connected but Safari hangs when trying to open a URL; timeouts don't occur though. I tried renewing my DHCP address - no luck. The only fix that seems to work is to turn WiFi off and on again.

Update: After reading this post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/4...-kext-edit-causes-wifi-issues.html#post320531 it seems my Targus Bluetooth adaptor is causing issues with my WiFi. After turning Bluetooth off, the WiFi hangs went away.

I seem to get kernel panics with Bluetooth plugged in and connected to my trackpad. I'm gonna try a different USB port and see if that helps. Update: Changing ports with the Bluetooth adaptor doesn't help. I'm thinking of going back to the iMac12,2 SMBIOS because it didn't seem to have these issues when rebooting.

Reopen windows after reboot seems to work fine for me.

The volume up/down "pop" sounds are back when changing volume from the keyboard.

Does audio work? 100%? I don't use WIFI so I can't comment on that :\

Does audio work? 100%? I don't use WIFI so I can't comment on that :\

Yes, Audio seems to work 100%. The one port I can't check is the S/PDIF digital out.

Sleep seems to kill all USB connections on the back of the Thunderbolt monitor and sound no longer comes out of the monitor's internal speakers, though.

Yes, Audio seems to work 100%. The one port I can't check is the S/PDIF digital out.

Sleep seems to kill all USB connections on the back of the Thunderbolt monitor and sound no longer comes out of the monitor's internal speakers, though.

This is because Thunderbolt (on our machines) is not Hot-Pluggable. So when the machine comes awake from sleep it doesn't initialize all of the PCIe channels. Thus loosing the TBolt :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back