6. Plus
  7. Power Mac
  8. PowerBook
  9. Quadra
  10. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm a noob to this forum and Hackintosh so please bear with me a bit.

So far I've managed to get to the install screen with just the mobo and processor, no graphics card or other PCI cards. But when the choose language screen comes up all the USB ports, including a 2-port USB 2.0 adapter I plugged in to the mobo, no longer function and I lose mouse and keyboard control.

I've read threads on the z77x-up4 th and USB 3 but, being such a noob who speaks English rather than IT, I'm lost and have seen too many threads with no answers.

I'm unemployed and trying to build a video editing machine so I can feed my family.

Any suggestions that might help me move ahead will be greatly appreciated.

Make sure that you've got your USB 2.0 adapter plugged into a USB 2.0 header on the motherboard. Also, if you've got USB 2.0 ports on your computer case make sure those are hooked up to USB 2.0 header (the manual will tell you which is which). I use this board and had to do that initially, although with 10.8.2 you can use the the USB 3.0 ports for devices (with the exception of storage devices).

I'm going to tidy my threads over here. Here's an update and re-post of what's there, but please reply there if you have any suggestions. Thanks

The original USB problem has been fixed with a bios setting and I've installed 10.8.2 ML on my Z77X-UP4-TH with Intel 3770K and applied these settings in MultiBeast 5.2. They seem to be working for Kongzilla, but not for me. After restart and boot to SSD, startup hangs a few seconds after the grey Apple screen. The wheel gets about 10 revolutions then freezes. Same in Safe Mode. The drive shows up as a boot option but won't go. I can reboot with the UniBeast USB but not to the SSD system drive.

No PCI cards, running internal graphics until I get the rest ironed out.

The three case USB ports are all 3.0, but there's only one header. I'll have to get an adapter to turn the third USB 3.0 header cable into a 2.0, unless I can't get this mobo to work and trade up to a Z77X-UP5-TH.

Thanks for the reply.

Now that I'm up and running I'd like to resolve the one remaining issue on my build: USB on the Z77x-UP4 TH motherboard with Mountain Lion. I'm currently getting USB 2.0 function on the Intel ports and case front-panel ports connected to the board's USB 3.0 header with xHCI disabled.

Please correct the following assumptions based on multiple reads of various forum posts.

If I ENABLE xHCI in BIOS:
  • The two Intel USB 3.0 ports (back panel next to the Ethernet port) will function but only for USB 3.0 devices that don't need power through USB.
  • The four back panel Via USB 3.0 ports will be dead, no function for USB 3.0 or USB 2.0, until someone produces the necessary drivers.
  • I can buy and install a USB 2.0 to 9-pin header bracket to add USB 2.0 function at the back panel off of the board's 9-pin headers.
  • USB 3.0 ports on the case front panel, if connected to the USB 3.0 socket on the motherboard, will function but as USB 3.0 only.

If the assumptions above are correct, are any other actions or settings necessary?

Thanks for your patience.

PSGrafix,

Try setting XHCI to AUTO and enabling Preboot XHCI detection...it will work properly (yes including USB 3.0 detection at boot on both types of ports.

Still no success on getting USB 3.0 function from the on board socket or back panel Intel USB 3.0 ports after numerous attempts with a myriad of setting permutations in BIOS and Multibeast. A WD USB 3.0 drive still reads only at USB 2.0 speeds from the Intel ports on the back panel.

After a careful review of posts I only find 9 users, including myself, using the GA Z77-UP4 TH mother board and I don't believe any of them are actually getting USB 3.0 functionality on a GA Z77-UP4 TH mother board.

If anyone can show me how they actually have done it, please respond. I don't want to purchase a USB 3.0 card reader until I have it working.

PSAGrafix,

I would suggest try to do a clean install and DO NOT install any USB 3.0 drivers from Multibeast after installation. Please USE the settings I gave you... (XHCI on AUTO, Preboot XHCI detection on, EHCI and XHCI handoff on; VT-d off, HPET High Precision Event Timer On) and get an install of ML 10.8.2. It should all work...

I would suggest try to do a clean install and DO NOT install any USB 3.0 drivers from Multibeast after installation. Please USE the settings I gave you... (XHCI on AUTO, Preboot XHCI detection on, EHCI and XHCI handoff on; VT-d off, HPET High Precision Event Timer On) and get an install of ML 10.8.2. It should all work...

I hear ya, but it's not working for me. I originally installed with xHCI Disabled. After successful boot in ML I ran Multibeast and did not select any USB drivers. I then tried xHCI auto with the other settings you recommend. No luck. I also tried xHCI Smart Auto as another person suggested with no success. Could it be because of the differences between your UP5 and my UP4 boards, specifically their different Via controllers? I'm not an IT guy so, just asking.

Has anyone with a UP4 board had success with USB 3.0 function using these settings, or any settings?

If I don't hear from someone with actual UP4 board success soon I'll try a reinstall of ML, but I'm reluctant to risk the progress to everything BUT USB 3.0 working.

I hear ya, but it's not working for me. I originally installed with xHCI Disabled. After successful boot in ML I ran Multibeast and did not select any USB drivers. I then tried xHCI auto with the other settings you recommend. No luck. I also tried xHCI Smart Auto as another person suggested with no success. Could it be because of the differences between your UP5 and my UP4 boards, specifically their different Via controllers? I'm not an IT guy so, just asking.

Has anyone with a UP4 board had success with USB 3.0 function using these settings, or any settings?

If I don't hear from someone with actual UP4 board success soon I'll try a reinstall of ML, but I'm reluctant to risk the progress to everything BUT USB 3.0 working.

How about this one? > http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...4657-z77x-up4-th-instructions-feedback-2.html
(read the last post, that might help you...) :)

EDIT: It is possible (they are different) but my IT sales guy said it was minor so I don't know. BTW have you tried a BIOS update for your system?

Installing the latest non-beta BIOS, F9, was one of the things that got my system actually running. There are so many variables that change in these systems it's like herding cats. Posts predating Multibeast 5.2, which I used, reference selecting a USB option no longer in Multibeast and, as I mentioned earlier, I'm not really interested in possibly losing other functionality by stepping on some other cat's tail.

I just posted on the thread thread linked in the previous post by Middleman asking if Bluenote has had any luck with installing a USB 3.0 PCIe Card on his UP4 board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back