Contribute
Register

Z77X-UD5H and i5-3570K: not successful so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OSX 10.8.2
CPU
Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU (4 x 3.40GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 6Mb L3
Graphics
GT640
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
I chose the hardware from the recommended 2012 buys so I am confident that someone/many must have got this set-up to work. All went well until multibeast. I persistently get:
boot 0: GPT
boot 0: test
boot 0: GPT
boot 0: error

If I choose the flash drive for booting and then the HDD it just waits at the silver/Apple loading screen.
I have tried repartitioning the HDD and reinstalling using the multibeast settings suggested by jackt_1993 at http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ud5h-tutorial-video-installation-success.html
but still without luck. However, I haven't tried flashing to update the BIOS from f5 to f14. Is this really necessary? It sounds risky and I am a newbie.
Many thanks...

Many thanks, Bob. That has indeed solved the boot error problem.
On rebooting I get a quick glimpse of the unibeast screen followed by the silver Apple/mesmeric wheel screen. Unfortunately it never gets past this still.

If you still have the problems, I'd suggest to do a complete fresh installation following these two Guides:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/99-quick-guide-configuring-uefi-gigabyte-s-7-series-lga-1155-boards.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...k-ga-z77x-ud5h-16gb-ram-2133mhz-gt-640-a.html

I got a successful install yesterday following theses guides.

You definitely need to update your bios to F14.

Download the exe file and extract it. The easy way to do that is using windows. Since the file is a self extracting zip file, there are tools you can use under OSX, but I don't know them. After extracting, copy the Z77XUD5H.F14 file to a FAT32 USB stick. Start your Computer, enter your Bios and choose QFlash. QFlash asks you for the drive and file, so enter the flash drive's name and choose the .F14 file. QFlash shows a screen describing the new bios version. Confirm to install the bios. It lasts about 1-2 minutes. Don't do anything with the system until the bios reports a successful update. Restart, and you're done.

I wish you success!
Mirko

Many thanks Mirko. I installed F14 and then attacked OEMsmbios.kext and it is working! It seems to be doing a few odd things like not responding to F12 at boot and freezing up when I connect a firewire drive but at least it is working! Bravo Tonymac.

Z77X-UD5H and i5-3570K: not entirely successful so far...

OK so I edited the title slightly... I am now certainly up and running but I am still having some significant problems. I want to use imovie but I get the Quartz Extreme message. Will the i5 and the z77x not run Quartz extreme? From past threads it sounds as though it should have been fixed by Mountain Lion. Elsewhere I found a reference to needing to modify a kext file. Another thread said I need to have Graphic Enabler on. I presume that means GraphicsEnabler string-yes-string in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist. But if I do that it won't boot.
I now have 2 HDDs, both partitioned. I have installed a system on both parts of a 60Gb, and also on both parts of a 1Tb. But I can only get one system to boot consistently. All four systems appear in the startup disk list, named eg 60GbA, 60GbB and 1Tbsmall, 1Tblarge. Currently if I choose any system on Startup disk and restart it simply boots back from 1Tbsmall.
Also if I hold down the alt key at startup I don't get a choice of systems, I get the Gigabyte BIOS page
Many thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back