AMD 5700XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,

Went to install High Sierra today after the supplemental update came out. Mistake 1.

Wanted to clean install instead of upgrade because it's been since Lion that I have always upgraded. Mistake 2.

Was impatient and didnt want to wait for Unibeast. Mistake 3.

Note: Had fully working 10.12.6.

Anyway - Created USB stick per installation instructions here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-sierra-public-beta-installation-usb.225520/

Thought to myself - apfs.efi was updated in the supplemental update and seeing as I just downloaded the high sierra package, it's probably the most up to date, so I grabbed that apfs.efi and installed to USB. Copied the latest FakeSMC and my ethernet driver. All was well.

All seemed well at least. Booted into the installer, formatted the drive, clicked install. Cracked open a beer thinking it was smooth sailing from there since I booted into the installer fine and I've built my fair share of hacks.

Rebooted, booted from the USB again, pointed it at the SSD. It booted to an apple screen and said it was installing and it would be 18 mins..... then disaster. 3 minutes into it. black screen disappears and up pops a window which says "macOS could not be installed on your computer. The path /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again." Hmm. That's a new one.

Thought to myself, maybe the apfs.efi was the wrong one. Grabbed the original one and inserted it in place. No dice. Same issue. Hrmph.

Okay, maybe my USB was bad, I thought. Grabbed another one out of the bag, meticulously prepared it again (with the new apfs as I fresh downloaded the high sierra package on yet another computer to ensure it was the latest) and went to boot. This time, as soon as it finished loading all the kexts, I get a KP every boot saying "architecture not recognized" - which I know is due to the video card, but I'm using the same config as my first USB and I didnt get a panic there. I double, triple checked that nv_disable=1 was there - it was. But a shimmer of hope!

Maybe if I remove the video card and then use the HD4000, I can install and all will be fine! Removed my GTX 970, booted fine to the installer. Phew, finally back there. I tried a different approach and used terminal to format the drive to ensure no issues. Installed on that portion fine. Rebooted fine. Selected hard drive fine AND!................. Same issue as before. "macOS could not be installed on your computer. The path /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again."

So here I am - 5 hours into the process, 6-7 installs and USBs trying every combination known to man.

Defeated, I plugged in my Win 10 SSD and resigned to wait for Unibeast (unless anyone else has any ideas).

Last edited:
Based on advice from another thread here, I have moved forward in my quest. I unplugged all my drives, loaded default values on my board, enabled XHCI handoff, then booted to the UEFI shell in Clover.

Ran bcfg boot dump then removed ALL options. Then booted into the USB installer, formatted the drive again, then booted to MacOS to install - worked like a charm. Can successfully boot into my hack now with the USB.

HOWEVER, went to install clover, all went well - moved the kexts, config, etc.... but when I reboot, it says it cannot find a boot volume. Stuck here for now. Booting from USB works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back