Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Having built hacks for years on many different chipsets mainly thanks to the shared knowledge by kind people here and much persistence on my part, I am now contemplating my next build. So much choice, my most succesful builds have probably been on z68 or z77 chipsets with UEFI native sleep and power management.

Obvioulsy the supporting hardware on the motherboard such as sata chips, audio and graphics is important but what about the chipset?

Golden builds on this site are full of z68 boards, I like z77 and ivybridge integration but now we have socket 2011 and x79.

X79 seems to have power management issues,

Anyone care to throw in an expert opinion?

Stu

those 7 series builds can be pricey....but a p55 or x58 build will work for u very well!
gigabyte boards seem to work the best with tony's methods..
check out the custmac(2012)build recommendations..its a good place to start.

The x79 boards are certainly killer, yet they will continue to have power management and other issues until Apple decides to support the platform. I don't see that happening until they roll out a new Mac Pro, although I doubt it will use the SandyBridge-E as the IvyBridge 2011 product is on it's way. So it makes you wonder if the investment in the current 2011 processors is a wise one. Additionally the platform seems to be very much overkill for the desktop, Windoze or OSX...

I think the Z77 platform is the best choice today, the investment is reasonable, the performance is outstanding, and I can't be convinced to spend good money on technology that is 2 or 3 generations in the past.

Yes, Not inclined to buy old technology, I feel that Z77 is the way to go as well. Although Gigabytes range is not that great and there are actually NO Z77 builds in the Golden Builds forum???

The Z77 ds3h is one that I have worked with and it works well but is very basic and has no dedicated USB3 chips

You then have to climb through a few midrange Z77 boards by Gigabyte as they have Via audio until you get to the Z77 ud5h which is twice the price of the ds3h.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back