Contribute
Register

Z77 mATX Motherboards and OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations for your great post. :)

Very important info for all who are looking z77 mobos.
This week I will buy all the components including ga-b75m-d3h but now I will change it and buy the asus p8z77-m pro

But one question please: Which mobo you think is better: asus or msi
Thanks again for the info.
Not sure I can pick one over the other. Been using the Asus in my primary box for some time now and it's bullet proof. I upgraded my backup box to the MSI a few days so I have only had few days with it, but my past experience with MSI suggest I won't have any problems.

I haven't had a failed asus board in 15 years. Not thinking noobs at newegg are a good place for accurate feed back. Regards-

Thanks a lot for this very useful post.
Funny for me, when I was just opening a topic about "why nobody is using the GA-B75M?"... and few hours later, I found your topic which gave me some answers.

Thanks to you, I am back to my draft paper of compatible equipment.
I was gathering information through the forum, over the last 4 months, to decide on what build... I was almost ordering the GA-B75M and now, I have to check for this Asus and MSI.
I hope I won't take another 4 months to decide.

Although I am not going to use i5 or i7, heavy processor, or OC...
Would you still recommend these boards, for a "basic" hack mini with i3-3225 ? (I just need a silent and stable HackMini... moving out from an old iMac 2008, C2D 2.4GHz... I guess I will see a big difference.)
Thanks for your advice

Also, I see you are using the P8Z77-M Pro. The little sister "not Pro" is still compatible for us?

Sure, save a few bucks and go for the MSI.

EDIT: I happen to have one of those chips in the closet, when you get close let me know and I'll test it for you...

kduvernay thanks for the info.

Finally will buy the asus because i like the asus bios and i need 4 fan connectors with pwm fan regulation using the bios or speedfan.

Thanks again. ;)

Sure, save a few bucks and go for the MSI.

I can't get the MSI from Amazon.at
(although I could get it from Germany for 100€ + 10€ of shipping)

The P8Z77-M is about 100€ (which is about 25€ more than the GA-B75M that I was planning before. But I can squeeze this extra in my plan.)

The P8Z77-M Pro is 125€ (I don't think I need the extra connectors, or eSata, etc.)

So, in my case, the Asus "non Pro" is cheaper.
Go for it?
What would I gain, from the Gigabyte B75? (remember, I am still planning a simple hack mini wit i3-3225, no OC, HD4000.)

I have just built that system for my in-laws...

GA-B75M-D3H - i3-3225 - 2x4GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600MHz Ram - ADATA 60GB SATA3 - WD 250GB 7200RPM - Sony DVD-RW. It is running with Intel HD4000 Graphics, Sleep/Wake and Ethernet is working flawlessly. Updated to 10.8.2 and loaded the rollback AppleACAPIPlatform.kext with KextBeast and Realtek HDA with Multibeast before Restart. Upon Restart the only thing I was missing was TRIM support so I Re-enabled TRIM support for non Apple SSD's in IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext as follows:

Make backup:
Code:
sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage.original
Enable TRIM:
Code:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00{1,20})[^\x00]{9}(\x00{1,20}\x4D)|$1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00$2|sg' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

64bit Geekbench score for this build is 8328.

... So, in my case, the Asus "non Pro" is cheaper.
Go for it?
What would I gain, from the Gigabyte B75? (remember, I am still planning a simple hack mini wit i3-3225, no OC, HD4000.)
The P8Z77-M will be a good choice. Can't comment on the Gigabyte B75 as I've never used it and don't do the B75 thing, it may be fine. Do a search for the board and see what others are saying 'bout it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back