Contribute
Register

Z690M/i5-12600/RX6600 ITX box: how should it work? [it does!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those interested, I finally got all my parts yesterday and started building right away. And I am glad to say that things are going pretty well: in 24 hours, I got everything working! CPU, GPU, SSD, USB, sound, ethernet 1G & 2.5G... even the integrated Intel WiFi&BT module works natively, thanks to recent kexts!

The only thing that does not work well as of now is sleep (it wakes immediately), but as I do not use the sleep function, I will investigate later.

I will definitely publish a more detailed build process and results, but for now, a big thanks to @helmutschneider for his help through the Z690 Chipset and Alder Lake CPUs thread, but also @CaseySJ with his Z690 Aero G golden build which includes much great advice.

CPU.png

This seems to be a really nice little beast... and very silent — but the components are still out of the case yet, I will put everything it soon. If yes, I will call it my "Silent Mini Beast" :)

Thanks @CaseySJ, I have tried it quickly and the result is the same — except that system wakes up after 7-8 seconds instead of 2-3. I really have done no research on that point yet, so it could basically be many things.

Something else I forgot to mention, though: the USB-C ports seems a bit unstable. Sometimes it works very well (10 Gbps), sometimes not, and I also had a couple of unexpected unmount of the volume. While preparing my USB mapping with USBMap as explained in Dortania's guide, I tried to change the type of the port (3, 9, 10) in the kext, and the change can be seen in Hackintool, but it seems to have no real impact on the problem. The Windows version of USBMap detects it as a "9" type ("Type C connector - USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 with Switch"), so I have set this value for now. All the other ports seem are working well. Any idea, maybe?

Thanks @CaseySJ, I have tried it quickly and the result is the same — except that system wakes up after 7-8 seconds instead of 2-3. I really have done no research on that point yet, so it could basically be many things.

Something else I forgot to mention, though: the USB-C ports seems a bit unstable. Sometimes it works very well (10 Gbps), sometimes not, and I also had a couple of unexpected unmount of the volume. While preparing my USB mapping with USBMap as explained in Dortania's guide, I tried to change the type of the port (3, 9, 10) in the kext, and the change can be seen in Hackintool, but it seems to have no real impact on the problem. Any idea, maybe?
Have you created a USB port map diagram (just the diagram)? It would look something like this:

Have you created a USB port map diagram (just the diagram)? It would look something like this:

Yes, I used USBMap's discovery feature for this:
Z690M-ITX:ax USB ports.png

As a result, I activated the following ports (I voluntarily discarded the HS04 port):
  • USB2: HS02, HS03, HS05, HS07, HS08, HS09, HS10, HS14 (T=255)
  • USB3: SS01 (T=10), SS02, SS03, SS04, SS05, SS06, SS07

Last edited:
Yes, I used USBMap's discovery feature for this:
View attachment 554094

As a result, I activated the following ports (I voluntarily discarded the HS04 port):
  • USB2: HS02, HS03, HS05, HS07, HS08, HS09, HS10, HS14 (T=255)
  • USB3: SS01 (T=10), SS02, SS03, SS04, SS05, SS06, SS07
Looks good! Please post the USB port map file. I personally prefer to use USBInjectAll in combination with a USB SSDT so I might create one for you to try.

Looks good! Please post the USB port map file. I personally prefer to use USBInjectAll in combination with a USB SSDT so I might create one for you to try.
Could you be more specific on what the USB port map file is? What I have is a kext...

OK, here you go.
Thanks!
I found a handful of issues that I've tried to correct in the attached kext. Please back up the current version and copy this in its place. Then reboot and check sleep.
  • SS06 was disabled -- I've enabled it
  • HS08 was set to type 3 -- but this is USB 2, so I've changed it to type 0
  • I've removed entries that are not needed
Z690M-ITX_ax USB ports.png

Attachments

• Z690M-ITX-AX_USBMap.kext.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 26
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back