Contribute
Register

Z690M/i5-12600/RX6600 ITX box: how should it work? [it does!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The easiest method is actually to go back in time, install Catalina or an early version of Big Sur (up to 11.2.1) and map from there: The "old" tools and tutorials apply, and the resulting USB map is valid for later versions of macOS.
I had thought of that, but I could not do it because my GPU cannot run on anything older than Monterey.
By the way, while doing some research, I also found a guide for USBToolbox on Windows: it works like USBMap for macOS, but seems more powerful, especially since Windows does not have the 15-port limitation. This is the tool I used to identify the port number of my Bluetooth module.

Another problem I only found a partial solution for: I could not get any sensor (temperature, voltage, fan rpm...) for my components and made some research. Apparently, the MacPro7,1 profile does not exist in VirtualSMC, so I removed it and turned to FakeSMC instead. But, even with relevant sensor packages, I can only get the most basic ones (temp for CPU cores and GPU die).

I have noted that I could change my profile from MacPro 7,1 to MacPro1,1, but I do not feel like doing this only for that reason (it may have several other impacts), so does anyone have a simpler solution to get other sensor info? If not, I will keep it that way.

Here's iStatistica on my Asus ROG Strix Z690-i mini-ITX system:
  • It's using VirtualSMC
  • It's running Ventura public beta (but same results in Monterey)
  • I've also added RadeonSensor to monitor GPU temp (under Sensors)
  • It's using MacPro7,1
Screenshot 2022-09-02 at 9.13.10 AM.png

I remember stumbling on the topic where you mentioned Istatistica, and I tried it (demo version): no sensors at all on it... :(

There may be something I missed in my config. I had installed these 3 kexts:
  • VirtualSMC.kext
  • SMCProcessor.kext
  • SMCSuperIO.kext

I remember stumbling on the topic where you mentioned Istatistica, and I tried it (demo version): no sensors at all on it... :(

There may be something I missed in my config. I had installed these 3 kexts:
  • VirtualSMC.kext
  • SMCProcessor.kext
  • SMCSuperIO.kext
We have to download the sensors plug-in separately. Simply click here. Open the .dmg file and drag-n-drop the plug-in to Applications folder.
Screenshot 2022-09-02 at 9.29.10 AM.png

Quit and restart iStatistica.

I remember having done that too, and it did not work any better. I have just tried it again with FakeSMC and I get the same limited sensor data as iStat right now. I will try it again with VirtualSMC later and let you know!

@CaseySJ, I have tried iStatistica again with VirtualSMC and it worked this time: good to know!

For now I will try iStatistica for a few days, since there is a quite generous trial period, but in the long terme I may as well go back to FakeSMC+iStat, because I like this tool and I do not want to have 2 stats tools running at the same time...

Thanks anyway for your help (again and again)! :)

Some news regarding the use of VirtualSMC and iStat Menus: you can download and install Power Gadget from Intel, which allows some sensors to work. Not too many of them, only the basic stuff, but it is enough for me:

Capture d’écran 2022-09-05 à 15.04.18.png

For info, I have officially published my build here, so I will stop monitoring this thread.

Thanks to all who helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back