Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

@gandem my windows server KP came back. Then I discovered bios 2004 was released while I was on vacation so I just updated to latest bios (2004) will keep you updated to see if this fixes it.

@CaseySJ @darthsian @dehjomz @Elias64Fr @etorix @Middleman @rushstrike @sjoseph @StefanAM @vit9696 @vandroiy

1665674335076.jpg

Let's play it again.

Same Z690 board? Hopefully Raptor Lake will be just a drop-in upgrade on 600-series (with updated BIOS)…

Monterey booted up on EFI without any add-ons. All cores are seen.
So far I only have a problem with setting the memory with the right timing.
This seems to be a hardware issue rather than a Hackintosh issue, so I'd rate that as a drop-in upgrade.
Thanks for the report. :headbang:

Yes. Z690 Gaming X.
Monterey booted up on EFI without any add-ons. All cores are seen.
So far I only have a problem with setting the memory with the right timing.
--
XMP profiles are not working. It ran on a manual setting of 3200MHz DDR4.
Ventura:
View attachment 556069
View attachment 556070
Thanks for this quick look at perf...

Take aways: 10 cores of 13th gen do what 8 cores of 11th gen do plus 5%.

But prolly with less fussing and a lot less power.

Also gen-to-gen costs are decreasing a lot as this i5 does what i9 was doing 18 months ago.

This makes hack proposition seem still plausible as you might build a M1 Max equiv rig with 4x RAM and 4x onboard storage for same $2000 US as M1 Max.

(hand waving)
$ component
350 i5
250 board
100 case
75 cooler
100 PS
500 128G
350 RX6600
250 2T

On flip side, you get all the hazards of a hack—which are substantial—plus mind-numbing glitches & incompatibilities, fuzzy future, all for about 1TB of onboard and 64G RAM which prolly doesn't really help your work.

I've a split take:

The young nerd in me likes to see the opportunity!

The wiser old engineer thinks "man, Apple really, really did their homework to create amazingly capable HW" in a space where they should have been a decade behind the curve.

Intel announcing massive layoffs tells more about how the overall trend of PC advances has taken on a new shape in last 2 years.

A massive inflection has just happened.

I think the new Nvidia 4080 is the capstone of a sea change (sry:) where it's so completely excessive — such brute engineering — that the PC industry must be just a complete mess.

Software has become everything and on this front we're all out of ideas even as we see a sort of rolling shazam from the new ML (AI).

Meantime the world is literally catching on fire and civilization, or maybe even life itself, may collapse...

Be of good cheer!

Interesting that ASUS already issued an update for the 13th gen chipset
All manufacturers have updated BIOS for Raptor Lake support ahead of the launch. Four years ago AMD was lending CPUs to users so they could update the old BIOS on their AM4 motherboard to support the shiny new Ryzen 3000 the users had just bought. Experience serves: No one wants to have to go through that again.

Back