Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

I've been getting a lot of WindowServer crash causing the entire system to freeze up. It seems to happen after I updated to the latest Asus BIOS 1720 on 08/16 and then macOS 12.5.1 update on 08/17. So I am trying to figure out the culprit.
- Does anyone know by default how far back the Crash Reports keep the logs ? Based on the console crash report it only shows windows server crashing starting 08/21 but I think it might have started before then but the log maybe only keep the last 7 days?
- I noticed the crash seems to trigger usually upon wake. Also, sometimes when I am trying to do use the GPU for example scrolling through a pdf file really fast. Running ML gpu workload such as tensor flow-metal . Certain electron apps.

All the WindowServer crash is due to watch dog time out:

```
Exception Type:

Termination Reason: Namespace WATCHDOG, Code 1 monitoring timed out for service
(1 monitored services unresponsive): checkin with service: WindowServer returned not alive with context:
unresponsive work processor(s): WindowServer main thread
80 seconds since last successful checkin, 1 total successsful checkins since wake, 39 seconds since last crashed by watchdogd, (1 induced crashes)
```

I am thinking the culprit might be due to the bios update where it reset some bios settings maybe enabled some asus overclock by default where I didn't have before.

View attachment 553772
I have had a couple of KP's since updating to BIOS 1720 and 12.5.1 as well which I did back to back. Since the KPs, I went into the BIOS and selected LOAD OPTIMIZED and then re-configured. So far, no more panics. Crossing my fingers that's it!

What did you reconfigure?
normally general settings should be:

Disable:
Fast Boot
Secure Boot
Serial/COM Port
Parallel Port
VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
CSM
Thunderbolt(For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
Intel SGX
Intel Platform Trust
CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)

Enable:
VT-x
Above 4G decoding
Hyper-Threading
Execute Disable Bit
EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB or 128MB
SATA Mode: AHCI

I was experiencing similar issues on my Asus ROG Strix Z690-i Gaming system (mini-ITX). The problem turned out to be bad memory. Because I have two DDR5-based systems I simply swapped DIMMs and the problem disappeared on the mini-ITX and appeared on the other system. G.Skill subsequently replaced the bad DIMMs under lifetime warranty and the problem hasn't happened since.

In your case the problem may or may not be memory. If you believe the previous BIOS was good, then first thing would be to reinstall the previous BIOS.

And if you have another pair of DDR5 DIMMs, try replacing the memory.
Well look like my system is stable again. I changed BIOS setting and disabled Asus multi core enhancement, Change XMP II to XMP1 and also forced BCLK to 100.0 instead of Auto.

normally general settings should be:

Disable:
Fast Boot
Secure Boot
Serial/COM Port
Parallel Port
VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
CSM
Thunderbolt(For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
Intel SGX
Intel Platform Trust
CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)

Enable:
VT-x
Above 4G decoding
Hyper-Threading
Execute Disable Bit
EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB or 128MB
SATA Mode: AHCI
This should be a must!

Hey, I have built myself a PC with i9-12900K, 6900XT GPU, ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi (DDR5) motherboard, but I am having a hard times installing macOS Monterey with Opencore. I have tried to make an EFI file and install things while I tried to use the guide. I booted it, but sometimes, I got black screen with not sign, stuck on the apple logo, got to the screen with the magic mouse animation, etc. I really need help, so I can get it working.

Hey, I have built myself a PC with i9-12900K, 6900XT GPU, ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi (DDR5) motherboard, but I am having a hard times installing macOS Monterey with Opencore. I have tried to make an EFI file and install things while I tried to use the guide. I booted it, but sometimes, I got black screen with not sign, stuck on the apple logo, got to the screen with the magic mouse animation, etc. I really need help, so I can get it working.
@CrashFan96

Have you seen this all-purpose guide by @etorix?

Last edited:
Back