Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

When I gave VT-D - Enable in the BIOS on the X299UD4 PRO, in Monterey network didn't work.
When I gave VT-D - Disable, they started to work.
When you enabled VT-d in BIOS, do you remember dropping the default DMAR table and replacing it with a modified table in which all Reserved Region blocks were removed?

@m4rk0,

In late December last year I [..]
Because your motherboard is also a customer return, perhaps it’s best to return it while the window is still open. If budget allows, consider getting a Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 instead, and following my build guide in the Golden Builds section.

This alone is no guarantee that the various issues you mentioned will not exist. [..]
...by the way, thank you for sharing your experience.

In your opinion, could an error in the ACPI table lead to the (totally random) instability I am having? I was searching this forum and found this command you wrote
Code:
log show --last boot | head -1500 > ~/Documents/boot.txt

I'll attach the result, if you want/can have a look.
Regardless, I am trying to get another Gaming X DDR4 (hopefully, it will be v1.1 as well); otherwise I'll join the Asus Z690 Creator aficionados

Attachments

• boot.txt
    240.1 KB · Views: 43
...by the way, thank you for sharing your experience.

In your opinion, could an error in the ACPI table lead to the (totally random) instability I am having? I was searching this forum and found this command you wrote
Code:
log show --last boot | head -1500 > ~/Documents/boot.txt

I'll attach the result, if you want/can have a look.
Regardless, I am trying to get another Gaming X DDR4 (hopefully, it will be v1.1 as well); otherwise I'll join the Asus Z690 Creator aficionados
This boot log shows an error while loading SSDT-MCHC. In the ACPI —> Patch section there are two MCHC-related entries. Both should be checked on.

But this alone may not be the cause of various issues you’re experiencing.

This boot log shows an error while loading SSDT-MCHC. In the ACPI —> Patch section there are two MCHC-related entries. Both should be checked on.
It seems to me the correct ones are flagged ?

Attachments

• Opencore ACPI.png
    Opencore ACPI.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
It seems to me the correct ones are flagged ?
That is causing a name conflict. Let's disable SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml for the time being. There's no harm in disabling it..
Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 5.20.46 AM.png

When you enabled VT-d in BIOS, do you remember dropping the default DMAR table and replacing it with a modified table in which all Reserved Region blocks were removed?
Is that necessary always?

After Dissable IOMapper I found:

Apple VTD.png

Last edited:
I've been getting a lot of WindowServer crash causing the entire system to freeze up. It seems to happen after I updated to the latest Asus BIOS 1720 on 08/16 and then macOS 12.5.1 update on 08/17. So I am trying to figure out the culprit.
- Does anyone know by default how far back the Crash Reports keep the logs ? Based on the console crash report it only shows windows server crashing starting 08/21 but I think it might have started before then but the log maybe only keep the last 7 days?
- I noticed the crash seems to trigger usually upon wake. Also, sometimes when I am trying to do use the GPU for example scrolling through a pdf file really fast. Running ML gpu workload such as tensor flow-metal . Certain electron apps.

All the WindowServer crash is due to watch dog time out:

```
Exception Type:

Termination Reason: Namespace WATCHDOG, Code 1 monitoring timed out for service
(1 monitored services unresponsive): checkin with service: WindowServer returned not alive with context:
unresponsive work processor(s): WindowServer main thread
80 seconds since last successful checkin, 1 total successsful checkins since wake, 39 seconds since last crashed by watchdogd, (1 induced crashes)
```

I am thinking the culprit might be due to the bios update where it reset some bios settings maybe enabled some asus overclock by default where I didn't have before.

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 7.02.12 AM.png

Last edited:
I've been getting a lot of WindowServer crash causing the entire system to freeze up. It seems to happen after I updated to the latest Asus BIOS 1720 on 08/16 and then macOS 12.5.1 update on 08/17. So I am trying to figure out the culprit.
- Does anyone know by default how far back the Crash Reports keep the logs ? Based on the console crash report it only shows windows server crashing starting 08/21 but I think it might have started before then but the log maybe only keep the last 7 days?
- I noticed the crash seems to trigger usually upon wake. Also, sometimes when I am trying to do use the GPU for example scrolling through a pdf file really fast. Running ML gpu workload such as tensor flow-metal . Certain electron apps.

All the WindowServer crash is due to watch dog time out:

```
Exception Type:

Termination Reason: Namespace WATCHDOG, Code 1 monitoring timed out for service
(1 monitored services unresponsive): checkin with service: WindowServer returned not alive with context:
unresponsive work processor(s): WindowServer main thread
80 seconds since last successful checkin, 1 total successsful checkins since wake, 39 seconds since last crashed by watchdogd, (1 induced crashes)
```

I am thinking the culprit might be due to the bios update where it reset some bios settings maybe enabled some asus overclock by default where I didn't have before.

View attachment 553772
I was experiencing similar issues on my Asus ROG Strix Z690-i Gaming system (mini-ITX). The problem turned out to be bad memory. Because I have two DDR5-based systems I simply swapped DIMMs and the problem disappeared on the mini-ITX and appeared on the other system. G.Skill subsequently replaced the bad DIMMs under lifetime warranty and the problem hasn't happened since.

In your case the problem may or may not be memory. If you believe the previous BIOS was good, then first thing would be to reinstall the previous BIOS.

And if you have another pair of DDR5 DIMMs, try replacing the memory.

Is that necessary always?

After Dissable IOMapper I found:

View attachment 553531
Hello @guindillas,

I didn't see your post until now.

On both of my Asus Z690 systems, it is not necessary to drop and replace the DMAR table. In your case, because AppleVTD appears in IOReg, simply check if (a) WiFi and (b) Ethernet is working. If both of them are okay, then nothing else needs to be done.

Backup your EFI folder and run it.
Getting started on the Z690 build ... thinking maybe I should exchange the locked processor for the "K" model.

ASUS has issued a recent BIOS update for non-K processors - sounds like potential trouble.

Back