Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Hello again -
So, I have a 2.5” SATA SSD from an old PC and wanted to repurpose it to run macOS on it. I attached it to my current mini itx build (which is running Monterey successfully on a separate NVMe).

I was able to boot from the USB installer and proceed with the process. But I am running into an issue on the second or so reboot during install. I get the error message “An error occurred preparing the software update.” SATA SSD is a Plextor M6S 512 GB.

Could it be that the other NVMe with Monterey already installed on it is causing a problem?

Asus Z690i mini itx
Intel i7-12700K
Kingston Fury 32GB DDR5 RAM
1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Windows)
1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMe (macOS)
I would suggest downloading the full macOS installer using GibMacOS, and either begin the installation from Monterey, or create a USB install disk.

I would suggest downloading the full macOS installer using GibMacOS, and either begin the installation from Monterey, or create a USB install disk.
Hi CaseySJ -
I am using the same USB install disk that I (successfully) installed on the NVMe. I used GibMacOS per your instructions in the Asus Z690 ProArt.

Any plans to update the build signature database to include newer generations?

Guys, what's the best (or a good) motherboard on Z690 today for Monterey and DDR5 it's worth(compatibility and stability on MacOs) or still DDR4?:)

Last edited:
Guys, what's the best (or a good) motherboard on Z690 today for Monterey and DDR5 it's worth(compatibility and stability on MacOs) or still DDR4?:)
I don't think anyone has answered you because its such a subjective question, DDR4 and DDR5 are both viable so its really just a question of budget, features you think you need and then personal preference. I would check out the golden build section of the forum for suggestions.

I don't think anyone has answered you because its such a subjective question, DDR4 and DDR5 are both viable so its really just a question of budget, features you think you need and then personal preference. I would check out the golden build section of the forum for suggestions.
Just the best compatibility for MacOS and easy install..
:thumbup:

Just the best compatibility for MacOS and easy install..
:thumbup:
The answer to that is basically the same as my answer you your first question. I would check out the Golden Builds section of the forum. Regardless of what hardware you end up with if you have problems using one of the established builds at least there is already an established thread where you can post questions and get help.

I was more or less on your same boat and I ended getting a Gigabyte Gaming X DDR4 which was on sale at Amazon because I own 64GB of Crucial 3600MHz and didn’t justify getting the same quantity of DDR5 memory for a fraction of the performance advantage.

Having said that, it depends on your budget and you will, as @Leesureone said. @CaseySJ doesn’t need introduction; if I wanted a DDR5 build, I would have chosen his ASUS Z690 Creator build.

Look amongst my last posts, you can find a few posts in relevant threads

Has anyone tried patching an asus bios z690 but replaced only the microcode version to use an older version to allow avx-512 while e core is off ?

Back