Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

12900K and DDR5?

Joke aside, "multi-threading", "reliability" and the many NVMe slots are also potential pointers towards HEDT platforms (C422/iMacPro1,1; C621/MacPro7,1). What most benefits your workload?
Lots of RAM? (compilers definitely loves that, and the way to get lots of RAM for cheap is to go RDIMM)
Low latency? (probably not)
RAM bandwidth? (that would be a pointer towards DDR5, video being the workload which most benefits from DDR5 for now)
High clocks? (Alder Lake)
High core count? (12900 over 12700; Xeons)
Just to mention that this is for non professional use (I'm retired), so reliability is only relative. Cost is definitely a factor. And, as you suggest, going for 64MB instead of 32 is probably a good option. I'm leaning toward a D4 12900K with 64MB. Core count is relevant for compilation but also for electronic simulation with LtSpice where some "transient" simulations can take minutes to complete with my current build. Curiously, looking at the iStat Menu, LtSpice seems to use cores but not hyperthreading (unless it limits itself to 4 threads, I don't know).

I support your question. Similar goals and objectives. I am considering two options GIGABYTE Z690 UD and GIGABYTE Z690 GAMING X. In the future, Thunderbolt Card installation is possible. The motherboard will be purchased in the next few days.
I was looking at those two. A post some time ago mentioned that the Z690 UD had stability issues with some memory bars. Was this solved with a BIOS update?

We can't directly compare VTE to cores, because there are full stack implications. It's not my intention to make a direct comparison. My intentions are to illustrate the value of silicon carefully designed to task and make an argument for architecture fitness for a purpose.

Without any idea of fitness, we will cores over iGPU because they are more general purpose.

But as devices evolve, all things are not equal Lol

To summarize:

11th gen Rocket Lake must be seen as a stop-gap and nothing more. (Prolly why they named it Rocket.)

Alder Lake is not a breakthrough. It's a saner and more cost-effective 10980XE with attendant IO gains. More I/O is good. But, while it offers an incremental IPC (instructions per clock) gain over 11th gen and throws more cores at market with better power spread than RL, plus E core juju to help mobile PC in marketing against Apple, x86 core arch is getting long in tooth and maybe full of legacy complexity/reliability bugaboos re microcode and electromigration, per AVX512. While I figure AL is as solid as anything before — Intel knows their stuff — they're in a position where they can no longer drive PC product advances without control of the stack which they don't have. So Intel designs are looking ham-fisted. I predict that the PC as we've known it will soon look really dumb.

Apple back to defining what personal devices look like. AppleSi is clean-slate with optimizations under control of total stack. Very strong architecture position, iff they know what they want to do toseize new consumer appliance markets (AR/VR, transportation, medical etc). Plus they forgo all Intel Arch bugs and exploits!

But back to topic at hand: For hackintosh desktop, if Apple supported Alder Lake it would be a nice config that keeps hacks pace not far behind (for now) with AppleSi Mac and freedom to Linux / Win too. But AL as just a glob more cores with big gaps due to iGPU and TB, 12th gen looks not inviting for hack. Not to me, anyway.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
To follow up on this, I guess it's looking like the only reason one would want to go with 10th gen processors is to retain the iGPU functionality for quick sync.

1) What apps exactly use Quick Sync? We know Handbrake does. Plex apparently does as well although I imagine only for transcoding when videos aren't natively supported. Any others?

2) What about After Effects when exporting via Media Encoder? Does quick sync kick into effect?

3) Does Quick Sync even matter if you've got something like an RX 5700 XT?

Cost is definitely a factor.
Fair enough. With motherboards become less available, it's probably not worth checking what can be made with a second-hand W-21xx or an "off-roadmap" Xeon Scalable and refurbished RDIMMs.

And, as you suggest, going for 64Mb instead of 32 is probably a good option. I'm leaning toward a D4 12900k with 64Mb.
I didn't suggest any number, but was potentially thinking of more than 64 GB. ;)

Curiously, looking at the IStat Menu, LtSpice seems to use cores but not hyperthreading (unless it limits itself to 4 threads, I don't know).
That would be worth investigating. ProvideCurrentCpuInfo hides the hybrid architecture by passing all cores and hyperthreads as individual cores. If LtSpice does not schedule hyperthreads and reserves all core resources to a single thread, it may have issues on an Alder Lake hackintosh. In this case, and/or if it is limited to 4 threads, a "small die" Alder Lake such as the i5-12600 (max. 6P, no E-core, ProvideCurrentCpuInfo not required) might serve you best.

I was looking at those two. A post some time ago mentioned that the Z690 UD had stability issues with some memory bars. Was this solved with a BIOS update?
Yes. Z690 GX BIOS F6 and Z690 UD BIOS F5 improve cooperation with RAM memory 3600MHz. I have not tried higher frequencies.

Yes. Z690 GX BIOS F6 and Z690 UD BIOS F5 improve cooperation with RAM memory 3600MHz. I have not tried higher frequencies.
Are you satisfied with the performance of GIGABYTE Z690 GAMING X? Have you considered buying the GIGABYTE Z690 UD?

Are you satisfied with the performance of GIGABYTE Z690 GAMING X? Have you considered buying the GIGABYTE Z690 UD?
I bought one and the other. But I have not unpacked with the mainboard Z690UD yet. With Z690 GX I am very pleased.

Last edited:
3) Does Quick Sync even matter if you've got something like an RX 5700 XT?
Yes it does.

I am not informed enough to offer a rundown of all the ways Mac employs the iGPU, but it's clear that the way a SW attack applies HW really matters to the total balance of system fitness.
I have no axe to grind regarding the details of Alder Lake and hackintosh, and my points aren't intended to cause disturbance of enthusiasm.

Rather, my intentions are to raise the conversation level to appreciate why designs are taking certain turns and just to express my own sense of 'enlightenment' at the big changes in Mac that have occurred in the last two years and how these make real Mac much better at what it is. It's a fascinating case study in architecture, and I have some background in matter, and have watched it unfold since back when Mac was young. I recall in Intel component engineering offices in 1985, next to a directors office there was an unused Apple Lisa as he raged that VAX/VMS had just thrown away hours of email he'd been writing on a VT100 but never saved. It was a big deal in late 80s when Motorola 68000-based Suns were deployed instead of DEC to do a custom scientific massively-parallel system component. The marketing dept used Macs even as PC was hitting stride. A decade later Intel was still not using its own silicon to design its silicon, and a vast and costly new 4-component system that had been intended to be a VAX killer ended completely failed to meet expectations as x86 ate the world. It's CPU was the i960 and it ended up not in advanced workstations, but as the heart of HP laser-printers, thanks to the GNU C compiler. A special version also got put in the Space Shuttle as a microcontroller. The director of Windows NT at Microsoft came from DEC and everyone noticed that WNT followed VMS just like HAL followed IBM. Along the way there was VHS vs Beta, CDs vs vinyl, cats and dogs living together! Then there was PowerPC Mac, the expunging of Jobs, the Megahertz Myth, the near death of Apply under Scully, NeXT, the return of Jobs, Apple G4 Personal Supercomputer with 1 GFLOPS, Final Cut Pro. Blah, blah. In 1999 Intel finished the fastest computer in the world which sustained 1 TFLOPS Linpack, and delivered to Sandia National Labs for 50 million. It consumed megawatts. Now trillion OPS is ordinary GPU. Around same time, internally, Intel component engineering fellows were on a presentation junket to inform mgmt that nothing was going much past 5GHz because of the exponential power density, where the powerpoint has a conclusion slide with a graph showing clockspeed versus density gains that ended at temperatures equal to surface of sun. Intel technology directors were holding up demo of 64 core dies. Again this was very late '90s. Then the day that will live in infamy: the 2006 4-core Xeon Mac Pro and the Core Duo Macbook Pro. It seemed that Intel had finally won over the entire world.

15 years later, I mention all this just to frame my curiousity and perspective on what incremental architectural improvements might mean for the future.

Apple has a good record at the long game. We should assume they're still thinking strategically with the M1, and that 1 means 2, etc.

All of the nuts and bolts are vastly more complicated than we prefer, or can imagine.

If you read up about how Apple stack applies AppleSi, you will quickly realize that they have a power/performance vision which Intel cannot touch, because it's not about feature-by-feature parity, it's about that progress now requires tuning the whole stack, and Intel can't do this.

Apple's influence lead Intel PC to become a little more architecturally coherent than it would otherwise be, but Apple probably couldn't influence Intel enough to suit its plans, and also suffered through some big gotchas on performance due to Intel architecture security defects. But the IA PC is a herd of cats. Left to their own terms, Intel and Microsoft can't evolve the PC beyond Office and games. Moreover, the architecture's woeful insecurity is an unavoidable manifest hazard to everything it's put in, which includes very high-risk applications. Mantaining productivity of Windows is a cost nightmare.
Apple's recent course change looks like one of those momentous points that leaves a whole way of thinking in its wake.

Again, I mention all this to support my view that the looming problem for hackintoshers is not 'what's the most compatible chipset', it's that there will soon be no clear way for hackintosh at all. It's an idea which begins and ends with Intel Macs. The end is nigh! However while the end is arriving, we can enjoy the soiree over what it feels like to live through end-times and count our blessings.

Carry on with the good work!

I'm using an Asus Z690-I Gaming Wifi board, changed out the onboard Wifi/ Bluetooth card and everything works including Thunderbolt Hot Plug. (at least with the external hard drives and hub I have). The MSI Unify is another possible contender and Gigabyte has boards as well with DDR4 and DDR5 models available. Not seen any glowing reviews of those yet.
Thanks. Those are a little rich for my budget! I have a 1U server enclosure that currently has a Skylake board in it that I wanted to upgrade. I use it for a server to back up my other Macs. So why do I want to upgrade from a Skylake? Because I can! haha!

thanks. those are a little rich for my budget! I have a 1U server enclosure that currently has a Skylake board in it that I wanted to upgrade. I use it for a server to back up my other Macs. so why do I want to upgrade from a Skylake? because I can! haha
There are some 660 boards coming out soon if they aren’t out now. They should cost less and also work.

Back