Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

@energy23

I ran your experiment on my Z690 Aero G DDR4, i9-12900K (stock speed), 8P+8E No HT, 32GB DDR4 @3600MHz, Sapphire RX 580 8GB, WD Black SN750 SE 1TB.

Run time: 6:34
@energy23

An update:

I reran the HandBrake test on my Z690 Aero G after fixing the installation of my Liquid Freezer II 280 cooler. I can now run my i9-12900K with 8P+8E+HT without overheating. Under heavy load my max CPU temp is around 80°C.

The same test settings, but with HT on, result in an improved run time of 6:03 from 6:34. Hyper threading doesn't improve much.

Intel Power Gadget shows Core Utilization ranging from 60-80% and occasionally higher. Activity Monitor -> CPU History shows 24 cores being used, but as the Core # goes from 1 to 24 usage drops from close to 100% down to around 60%.

Core Utilization.png

BBB_sunflower_2160_30_normal test file, i7-8700. 22.15fps with CPU [QSV:41].

i7-8700k: 23.35 fps at 4.9; 24.48 at 5.0 [QSV:49.48].

Not terribly optimized i5-12400F with PC3200: 26.13. i5-12400F gives a Cinebench R23 of 11006.

@energy23

An update:

I reran the HandBrake test on my Z690 Aero G after fixing the installation of my Liquid Freezer II 280 cooler. I can now run my i9-12900K with 8P+8E+HT without overheating. Under heavy load my max CPU temp is around 80°C.

The same test settings, but with HT on, result in an improved run time of 6:03 from 6:34. Hyper threading doesn't improve much.

Intel Power Gadget shows Core Utilization ranging from 60-80% and occasionally higher. Activity Monitor -> CPU History shows 24 cores being used, but as the Core # goes from 1 to 24 usage drops from close to 100% down to around 60%.

View attachment 540189
Interesting! 3.77X difference compared to my 4790k!

80 degrees is still a little high with such a beefy cooler. I've got a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black ready to be used with whichever system I'm going to upgrade to.

Have you tried undervolting your CPU? I imagine your temps and power consumption could be dropped significantly if you tweaked the voltage a bit. It'd also help with fan noise as well, so all in all, it'd be a very much worthwhile effort.

A simple performance comparison of i9-10900K multicore h264 encode, multcore vs UHD 630.

View attachment 539493

I am drastically simplifying a lot of concerns in the above comparison, but I think it's fair to make a point.

On an Apple supported design, you get your cores, plus the benefit of task-specific silicon.

For a hackintosh, there was a crossroads that got passed in 2021. Whatever happens with hackintosh on RL and beyond, is going to miss out on any specicial silicon value Intel brings to party, beyond brute force.

Things are messy even for Windows! Currently, Intel is retracting support for AVX512, and dropping the security support that allows UHD vid decode a la disc payers. Yikes.

AS to Intel trying to match Apple on core function: Intel efficiency core is an odd-duck, trading off die area, performance and power in manner to copy Apple, but because their market is horizontal, even on Windows, you don't know what you will get nor how long it will work because the total system performance regarding power is a PC vendor concern, not an Intel / Microsoft concern. Whatever progress is made here, Hackintosh can just forget about it. If you get all the cores engaged, screw power and be happy (desktop only because a 12th gen hackinotsh laptop is gonna be a dumb mess).

Maybe some hackintosh desktop users don't care about silicon refinements because they can afford to throw kit at their work and see what sticks. But the sane 12th gen user will move back to Windows — God help you.

Meanwhile Apple Si designs are moving towards more task-specific silicon optimizations fully supported by Apple stack and all power / perf benefits realized up and down the line.

I'm not trying to hate on people having fun. But it's past the end of an era. This scene can only tread water from here on out.

Damn. That sounds pretty bad...

I got to this party very very late, but it was still fun! Thanks for the good community.
Would you be willing to run a quick test with your 10900k in Handbrake? Should take about 6-10 minutes!

Here's the test:

Really curious to see if the last officially supported Intel CPU is significantly behind the 12900k. Thanks!

Would you be willing to run a quick test with your 10900k in Handbrake? Should take about 6-10 minutes!

Here's the test:

Really curious to see if the last officially supported Intel CPU is significantly behind the 12900k. Thanks!
Hi energy, do you have Black screen after wake on youR RX 580 pulse,? Thanks

I found this on a Youtube channel, should provide some guidelines for how much a GPU can replace Intel QSV.
The UHD630 is the QSV from the same 8750H CPU.

TLDR I think a 6800 card or better can easily perform as well as 12600K QSV.

Adding: However, it seems GPU encoding can up file size with as much as 50% (1 GB QSV encoded file equals roughly 1,5 GB GPU encoded).

Skärmavbild 2022-01-24 kl. 17.04.59.png

Last edited:
I found this on a Youtube channel, should provide some guidelines for how much a GPU can replace Intel QSV.
The UHD630 is the QSV from the same 8750H CPU.

TLDR I think a 6800 card or better can easily perform as well as 12600K QSV.

Adding: However, it seems GPU encoding can up file size with as much as 50% (1 GB QSV encoded file equals roughly 1,5 GB GPU encoded) and QSV seemingly delivers best quality, too.

View attachment 540222
Only issue is, VCE is not available in Mac OS and AFAIK, not all presets can use VCE (correct me if I'm wrong).

Great thread here, recently finished an Alder Lake i5 ITX build using an Asus Z690i Gaming Wifi board. When I was attempting to load Monterey for the first time on a virgin SSD I'd get to the install screen but all that would show was a grey screen and the mouse cursor. Blank screen otherwise. I thought at the time it was a USB related issue as I hadn't been able to map the ports yet. It turns out there are other users who have had the same problem as noted here, credit @gandem and @CaseySJ . #154

I've yet to try that fix but wanted to report another issue I've had with the Z690i board and on other chipsets I've used that may be related. When I reset the NVRAM I lose visibility of the EFI boot partition in Monterey, the board bios can only see Windows (which is installed on a separate stand alone drive). I have a copy of Easy UEFI that when loaded from Windows will find and remark that partition and allow me to boot.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen that behavior and or has any suggestions beside what I'm doing to deal with it. I have yet to try CaseySJ's trick noted above as that may be another way to sort this.

Great thread here, recently finished an Alder Lake i5 ITX build using an Asus Z690i Gaming Wifi board. When I was attempting to load Monterey for the first time on a virgin SSD I'd get to the install screen but all that would show was a grey screen and the mouse cursor. Blank screen otherwise. I thought at the time it was a USB related issue as I hadn't been able to map the ports yet. It turns out there are other users who have had the same problem as noted here, credit @gandem and @CaseySJ . #154

I've yet to try that fix but wanted to report another issue I've had with the Z690i board and on other chipsets I've used that may be related. When I reset the NVRAM I lose visibility of the EFI boot partition in Monterey, the board bios can only see Windows (which is installed on a separate stand alone drive). I have a copy of Easy UEFI that when loaded from Windows will find and remark that partition and allow me to boot.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen that behavior and or has any suggestions beside what I'm doing to deal with it. I have yet to try CaseySJ's trick noted above as that may be another way to sort this.
Like you said, for me EasyUEFI is the solution. That's whay I do NVRAM reset from picker only when is nothing else to do. I don't know if is right, but when I need to reset NVRAM, I delete variables in Hackintool and reboot.

Back