Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

On a separate note I've just found this article, which might surprise some of you. > https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...nt-play-blu-ray-disks-due-to-sgx-deprecation/

It seems that the new 12th Gen Alder Lake and possibly even 11th Gen Rocket Lake has the Intel SGX deprecated - which means they will have difficulty playing back from protected Blu-Ray discs with DRM content (because they require SGX to function).
I read an article on heise.de yesterday related to that topic and it seems your suspicions are correct.

I think the discussion regarding video encoding on raw CPU power vs Intel Quick Sync on older, supported CPUs is highly interesting, but lets not forget that, as stated before, many will pair an Alder Lake CPU with at least a 6700 XT card.

It would therefore be highly interesting with a comparison of something like the following:
Windows 11:
10th gen Quick Sync encode vs 12th gen Quick Sync encode
10th gen QS encode vs 6000 series GPU encode

macOS:
10th gen QS encode vs the same 6000 series GPU as above encode
AS M1 Pro vs same 6000 series GPU encode (this would be on a different system, naturally).

There is a chance that a 10th gen QS CPU performs like a 6700 XT. That way, you would know that you won't benefit from an Alder Lake CPU unless you go 6800+ on GPU. Etc.

Does anyone know if the non-k variants like the 12400 and recently announced 12600 that don't have e-cores make setup of OpenCore any easier? Is the setup more or less like z590 and Rocket Lake CPUs?
In theory, you just take the same standard EFI, or any Z690 User/Golden Build (because it's still the same motherboard), and disable quirk ProvideCurrentCpuInfo, since there is actually no hybrid architecture issue.
I don't remember an actual report here, but these CPU have just been released and it's possible that no-one has picked one for a new build yet.
Update: There is a success report here, and it seems that disabling ProvideCurrentCpuInfo is actually necessary.

It's not "like Z590" because you still need SSDT-PLUG-ALT, or SSDT-CPUR-Z690—the motherboard demands it.

Without E-cores, "small die" Alder Lake CPUs should always operate with their ring bus at the higher frequency… and run hot, like was observed here for the K CPUs with E-cores disabled. Pay attention to cooling!

Last edited:
In theory, you just take the same standard EFI, or any Z690 User/Golden Build (because it's still the same motherboard), and disable quirk ProvideCurrentCpuInfo, since there is actually no hybrid architecture issue.
I don't remember an actual report here, but these CPU have just been released and it's possible that no-one has picked one for a new build yet.

It's not "like Z590" because you still need SSDT-PLUG-ALT, or SSDT-CPUR-Z690—the motherboard demands it.

Without E-cores, "small die" Alder Lake CPUs should always operate with their ring bus at the higher frequency… and run hot, like was observed here for the K CPUs with E-cores disabled. Pay attention to cooling!
I dont think a 12600 non-k will run overly hot. For comparison, the 12400 with a stock cooler reaches 81C;

The 12600k doesn't run too hot with e-cores;

Without physical e-cores it should run cooler than the 12600k.

Factors in semiconductor manufacturing regarding Intel's vs TSMC business:

Trends in server architecture for 2022:

I offer these articles as a way to better scale what a PC is today, relative to the spectrum of highly integrated computing devices. There's a pervasive trend of thinking here that Mac is still a 2006 PC device with 15 years of updates and that Apple is still playing catch-up to surging PC business lead by Intel. But things have flipped. PC is on the back foot, with Intel playing catch-up to a vast market defined by tailored devices and vast new generations of fabs run with an understanding of process that are least equals Intel. Apple can afford to design any way it wants unbeholden to PC idioms. 2021 was a huge year of change which has ended the PC as a reference point for anything except AAA gaming, and that's under pressure too.

Where 12th gen was supposed to be an exciting increment in Intel's long-running progression of x86 power is now looking long in the tooth for PC.

A new PC not only doesn't enable anything your previous PC didn't do, it's starting to go backwards. Microsoft wants its PC customers to believe that Windows is still cutting edge with trivial UI adjustments.

In next 5 years, Apple will leave PC behind and not look back. Their vertical integration will let them break out towards a new XR market in a way that no other company is positioned to do with a coherent platform that includes assets in all key domains.

In 2021 the mac-as-a-PC died, and the PC itself is running along a hogsback of possibilities with no strong guidance to continue the climb. Gaming can cross over into XR so the PC has a foundation from which to evolve... Maybe Nvidia will have a prospect because they've moved into autonomous vehicle control which will have many industrial applications.

Blah blah

Hello,
Have problem with 12600K or maybe my RX 580 is not working, hard to say, i havent in config spec. for rx 580 becasue is working OOB, or ?... help me, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20220118_194848.jpg
    IMG_20220118_194848.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 54
Have problem with 12600K or maybe my RX 580 is not working, hard to say, i havent in config spec. for rx 580 becasue is working OOB, or ?... help me, thanks.
You'll need to start your own new thread in Monterey Desktop Support to get help.

Right. If you are trying to enable the SATA hotplug then that is likely in need of SATA-unsupported.kext (which I don't have installed in my EFI) which should enable your SATA ports to work. The only one storage related driver installed in my EFI however is NVMExpressdxe.efi. Could that be it?

Your OCValidate output however are showing Audio & AppleInput related errors. Those would be the keys missing in your current config.plist which you need to add in.

Hello,
I'm having the same error I'm attempting to figure out the problem right now I'm exploring uninstalling the Intel drivers on windows to see if it helps, I came across a potential issue that "Map SATA to VMD" being enabled in the Asus Z690 Prime P d4 BIOS messes with the OC boot. But, if you turn it off, Windows does not boot. So I'm attempting to uninstall the program in Wndows and then disable it in the BIOS. Next, I'll try to reboot Windows to see if it works. Then attempt fixing the OpenCore issues I have. I'm also looking at the potential that providcurrentcpuinfo in kernal quirks might be the issue. I'm not sure to have it on or off

I am experiencing a really weird issue: after updating to the new OCC version and re-editing the config.plist of my 077 EFI, my Firewire Interface suddenly stopped working - more exactly it seems it no longer initializes the driver of the interface, as the hardware absolutely correctly in system report and IORegExplorer...

Some time before I disabled AppleVTD to enable dual boot with WIN11, and it worked out fine.
Then this happened.
After re-enabling AppleVTD, everything is back working absolutely fine.

I did some experiments and pin it down to the fact that as soon as AppleVTD is disabled, my Focusrite interface does not longer work - event it worked in this configuration before. And I did not change anything else ever since, except updating OCC, open config.plist and saving it without any changes.

I mean I can live with that and boot into Windows with F12, as long as my Hack runs fine I am good...
But has any of you experienced such a thing ?

Last edited:
Factors in semiconductor manufacturing regarding Intel's vs TSMC business:

Trends in server architecture for 2022:

I offer these articles as a way to better scale what a PC is today, relative to the spectrum of highly integrated computing devices. There's a pervasive trend of thinking here that Mac is still a 2006 PC device with 15 years of updates and that Apple is still playing catch-up to surging PC business lead by Intel. But things have flipped. PC is on the back foot, with Intel playing catch-up to a vast market defined by tailored devices and vast new generations of fabs run with an understanding of process that are least equals Intel. Apple can afford to design any way it wants unbeholden to PC idioms. 2021 was a huge year of change which has ended the PC as a reference point for anything except AAA gaming, and that's under pressure too.

Where 12th gen was supposed to be an exciting increment in Intel's long-running progression of x86 power is now looking long in the tooth for PC.

A new PC not only doesn't enable anything your previous PC didn't do, it's starting to go backwards. Microsoft wants its PC customers to believe that Windows is still cutting edge with trivial UI adjustments.

In next 5 years, Apple will leave PC behind and not look back. Their vertical integration will let them break out towards a new XR market in a way that no other company is positioned to do with a coherent platform that includes assets in all key domains.

In 2021 the mac-as-a-PC died, and the PC itself is running along a hogsback of possibilities with no strong guidance to continue the climb. Gaming can cross over into XR so the PC has a foundation from which to evolve... Maybe Nvidia will have a prospect because they've moved into autonomous vehicle control which will have many industrial applications.

Blah blah
This makes sense. Especially with Geforce Now (which will gain competition and therefore alternatives) you don't even need a strong x86 PC; you can game all you want on an M1 Macbook Pro, or even an M1 MacBook Air. For a cost that is equal or probably much less than staying updated with a local PC of equal performance.

Come to think of it, I strongly believe the future is mobile (as in laptops and smaller builds of lesser compute power), because there will surely be ways to gain access to performance farms online when you need strong compute power, accessible online from your medium/low performance laptop. Integrated right in the software, like Premiere Pro or Blender. This is excluding the real heavy compute use cases such as businesses, which are not concerned with the overall market anyways since these niche markets have their alternatives anyway.

It might feel alien to the average performance PC user today but thinking of it, it is both cost saving, space saving and environmentally friendly and you won't even notice any difference in your use case.

Back