Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

I am very grateful for your effort! Please, view these images and see if you are able to select Hardware acceleration as preferred option.

The first image is for previews and playback/decode, which happens in project timeline.

The second image is for rendering/encode.

I may have some good news, but I'll let you judge...

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 1.13.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 1.13.52 PM.png

I downloaded a free music video library from Elements of Film, and stitched a very basic 31-minute video. You can see that in 2nd screenshot above.

Rendered on:
  • Intel i5-12600K with all cores and all threads enabled
  • Gigabyte Z690 Aero G
  • MSI Radeon RX 6800 XT GPU
  • 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 memory
Render times:
  • HEVC --> About 3 minutes and 30 seconds. (31 minute video)
Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 1.20.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 1.20.09 PM.png

• H.264 --> About 3 minutes. (31 minute video)
Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 1.06.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 1.07.38 PM.png

• File Sizes (HEVC version is of course considerably smaller in size):
Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 1.27.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 1.27.37 PM.png

Last edited:

View attachment 537062View attachment 537063
I downloaded a free music video library from Elements of Film, and stitched a very basic 31-minute video. You can see that in 2nd screenshot above.

Rendered on:
  • Gigabyte Z690 Aero G
Render times:
View attachment 537065View attachment 537066
View attachment 537067View attachment 537068
View attachment 537069 View attachment 537070
Yes, this is excellent news. Thank you! This means I will have to build me one of these bad boys in a while. The performance is too good to ignore. And the need for new shiny tech is always strong.

I think I will go for a 12700F paired with a B670 motherboard. 32GB DDR4, two 1TB SN850 drives and a 6800 XT. I already own the GPU.

Does it make sense to go for the F version of the CPU? It's the one that lacks iGPU. Since it cannot be utilized in macOS anyway, and Windows won't need it, I don't see the point? It should be about $60 cheaper than the K version, and B670 cannot overclock anyway.

Last edited:
Yes, this is most excellent news. Thank you! This means I will have to build me one of these bad boys in a while. The performance is too good to ignore. And the need for new shiny tech is always strong.
Glad to hear it!

I think I will go for a 12700KF paired with a B670 motherboard. 32GB DDR4, two 1TB SN850 drives and a 6800 XT. I already own the GPU.
Because you already have a Radeon RX 6800 XT, more than half the battle is over!

Does it make sense to go for the KF version of the CPU? It's the one that lacks iGPU. Since it cannot be utilized in macOS anyway, and Windows won't need it, I don't see the point? It is about $35 cheaper.
It's perfectly okay to buy the KF. I personally chose the K version in case I decide to repurpose the CPU to another system without having to buy an overpriced GPU. I also think the K version will be more appealing to buyers if I decide to sell it. But if this system is meant to be a work horse, then certainly choose the KF version. It should consume a little less power as well.

Glad to hear it!

Because you already have a Radeon RX 6800 XT, more than half the battle is over!

It's perfectly okay to buy the KF. I personally chose the K version in case I decide to repurpose the CPU to another system without having to buy an overpriced GPU. I also think the K version will be more appealing to buyers if I decide to sell it. But if this system is meant to be a work horse, then certainly choose the KF version. It should consume a little less power as well.
I might go for a Z690 board too. The Gigabyte mini itx version might be okay, it seems the other person here got it to work at last but there is also an ASRock board. ASRock Z690M-ITX/AX, the network chips are Intel for LAN and what I presume is a Realtek chip for wifi. Intel I219V / Dragon RTL8125BG. Are they supported? Anything to tell from ASRock boards in general? It looks more budgety than the other brands.

View attachment 537062View attachment 537063

Rendered on:
  • Gigabyte Z690 Aero G
Render times:
View attachment 537065View attachment 537066
View attachment 537067View attachment 537068
View attachment 537069 View attachment 537070
Could you do a comparison of between a) P-Cores + E-Cores enabled hyperthreading disabled vs. b) P-Cores enabled and E-Cores disabled and Hyperthreading enabled?

Really curious to see how Premire, Photoshop and After Effects behave and perform with AVX on/off and E-Cores on/off.

I might go for a Z690 board too. The Gigabyte mini itx version might be okay, it seems the other person here got it to work at last but there is also an ASRock board. ASRock Z690M-ITX/AX, the network chips are Intel for LAN and what I presume is a Realtek chip for wifi. Intel I219V / Dragon RTL8125BG. Are they supported? Anything to tell from ASRock boards in general? It looks more budgety than the other brands.
Yeah Asrock looks budgety, but may is just the colors and marketing. I have ordered an Asrock z690 Extreme, in honor to my 10 years ASrock Z77 extreme and let's see how it goes... I am curious about this Intel I219V / Dragon RTL8125BG too

Just initial install but so far so good :lol:

View attachment 537011

Still (kind of) tinkering with the Z690 Extreme and having some issues so far.
  • Aquantia 10G does not work with patch but need to do more research
  • Onboard audio is not recognized. Is there a special alcid to use with the alc4082 or is it supposed to be natively recognized? The Z690 Extreme uses a SupremeFX version so that might be why it's not recognized?
  • USB map hasn't been done yet but some initial research shows that the two internal USB 2.0 ports are connected via a hub. I have a corsair AIO so can't disable one of the ports and have the other one free for the wifi/bt card. I could replace the built-in Wi-fi 6E module but would prefer not to.
However, the system is very snappy and seems to be faster than my previous X299 10980XE hackintosh. I don't know how much more I'll mess with it but it was a fun experiment :)

Could you do a comparison of between a) P-Cores + E-Cores enabled hyperthreading disabled vs. b) P-Cores enabled and E-Cores disabled and Hyperthreading enabled?

Really curious to see how Premire, Photoshop and After Effects behave and perform with AVX on/off and E-Cores on/off.
Now that we can have all cores/threads on, that would be a comparison between a) P+HT+E (AVX-2, as provided) and b) P+HT, AVX-512. Unless you expect hyper-threading to actually decrease performance.

Still (kind of) tinkering with the Z690 Extreme and having some issues so far.
  • Aquantia 10G does not work with patch but need to do more research
  • Onboard audio is not recognized. Is there a special alcid to use with the alc4082 or is it supposed to be natively recognized? The Z690 Extreme uses a SupremeFX version so that might be why it's not recognized?
ACQ-113 may require a patch and properties injection (SSDT here).
As far as I know, ALC 4xxx codecs are USB and should work without alcid layout using AppleALCU.kext (or the full AppleALC) but need a suitable USB map.

Hello everyone!

I finally read all the pages in this thread. I used the material of this theme (thanks to everyone, thank you very much, excellent theme), and I am going to build a new Hackintosh.

My settings
National standard GA Z690 AERO G DDR4; GA Z690 AERO D;
Intel 12900K;
Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600Mhz-2x 8Gb
Corsair DDR5 5200MHz 16GB x2
Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+;
SSD NVME Gen4 Samsung 980 PRO 1Tb

I will start working soon, thank you everyone...

View attachment 537084View attachment 537085

Hello.

Are you building two machines?

Hello everyone!

I finally read all the pages in this thread. I used the material of this theme (thanks to everyone, thank you very much, excellent theme), and I am going to build a new Hackintosh.

My settings
National standard GA Z690 AERO G DDR4; GA Z690 AERO D;
Intel 12900K;
Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600Mhz-2x 8Gb
Corsair DDR5 5200MHz 16GB x2
Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+;
SSD NVME Gen4 Samsung 980 PRO 1Tb

I will start working soon, thank you everyone...

View attachment 537084View attachment 537085
Which country did you buy the aero d ? Last time I checked it wasn’t yet available in the USA.

Back