Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Are there any differences configuring the EFI when using an Asus Z690 board?

Just initial install but so far so good :lol:

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 10.46.54 PM.png

I assume that since there can be no iGPU enabled, the Quick Sync feature is gone and more importantly, so is hardware accelerated video encoding in Adobe Premiere?
Adobe does not use discrete graphics for encoding, except for certain effects.
It seems Premiere Pro identifies discrete graphics cards as capable for encoding but I`m not sure they can be used. Is there anyone who runs PP and can test if h264/h265 can encode with hardware acceleration? I might represent a small userbase but it's a deal breaker for me.

Doh, meant the experimental v0.7.7 based EFI you posted earlier with P+E+HT support, which worked flawlessly
That @CaseySJ 's EFI for a specific Gigabyte board can be trimmed down and adapted for Asus boards, rather than adding Asus-specific elements to the generic EFI is a testament to how little variation there is between current Z690 motherboards. (There's also a lot of input from @CaseySJ in the generic EFI…)
Manufacturers will likeky drift away in their implementations over time, but by then there will be a standard Dortania guide for Alder Lake and many user builds.

It seems Premiere Pro identifies discrete graphics cards as capable for encoding but I`m not sure they can be used. Is there anyone who runs PP and can test if h264/h265 can encode with hardware acceleration? I might represent a small userbase but it's a deal breaker for me.
Give the benchmark test name and some idications and I'll try.

Had some time to try some overclocking, here is my config:

VCore: Fixed 1.28V
DVID: -0.045
LLC: 3
P 0-1: 50
P 2-7: 49
E 0-3: 39

Max temp I've seen is 87c

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 18.02.41.png

Give the benchmark test name and some idications and I'll try.
I'm afraid you're going to need the actual software, Adobe Premiere Pro v22, to verify this. I appreciate the offer though!

I'm afraid you're going to need the actual software, Adobe Premiere Pro v22, to verify this. I appreciate the offer though!
I have 13.1.4.

I have a 7-day trial for Adobe Creative Suite. Premiere Pro v22 is installed on Z690 Aero G. The tutorial project encodes both HEVC and H.264 within 3 or 4 seconds for a 15-second clip.

If you have a bigger test project, I can test it. I've also installed Photoshop.
Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 11.06.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 11.15.08 AM.png

Last edited:
I have a 7-day trial for Adobe Creative Suite. Premiere Pro v22 is installed on Z690 Aero G. The tutorial project encodes both HEVC and H.264 within 3 or 4 seconds for a 15-second clip.

If you have a bigger test project, I can test it. I've also installed Photoshop.
View attachment 537057View attachment 537058
I am very grateful for your effort! Please, view these images and see if you are able to select Hardware acceleration as preferred option.

The first image is for previews and playback/decode, which happens in project timeline.

The second image is for rendering/encode.

set-renderer-in-premiere-pro.jpg.img.jpg

enable-hardware-encoding.jpg.img.jpg

Back