Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Swapped and cleaned the 2 NVMes. Both are posting again, but I don't like this too
much.
Let's hope that was just a momentary glitch.

Exactly! Because of that and numerous other examples, I'll be transitioning my main build from Z390 Designare to Alder Lake.
I dont have BT, WiFi with your current EFI.
Using DW1560 BCM94352Z.

Searching online tells me I need the following:
  • Lilu.kext
  • AirportBrcmFixup.kext
  • BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext
  • BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
  • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
But adding AirportBrcmFixup results in black screen on boot ?
could it be related to me using 12.1 RC?

I dont have BT, WiFi with your current EFI.
Using DW1560 BCM94352Z.

Searching online tells me I need the following:
  • Lilu.kext
  • AirportBrcmFixup.kext
  • BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext
  • BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
  • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
But adding AirportBrcmFixup results in black screen on boot ?
could it be related to me using 12.1 RC?
Do not use BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext. It is not compatible with Monterey. And do not use BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext because it's not compatible with boot loader injection. Instead, replace the first one with BlueToolFixup.kext and replace the second one with BrcmFirmwareData.kext.

The order should be:
  • BlueToolFixup.kext
  • BrcmFirmwareData.kext
  • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
Finally, I think AirportBrcmFixup.kext has been obsoleted. Not sure, but try disabling it.

Do not use BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext. It is not compatible with Monterey. And do not use BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext because it's not compatible with boot loader injection. Instead, replace the first one with BlueToolFixup.kext and replace the second one with BrcmFirmwareData.kext.

The order should be:
  • BlueToolFixup.kext
  • BrcmFirmwareData.kext
  • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
Finally, I think AirportBrcmFixup.kext has been obsoleted. Not sure, but try disabling it.
Thanks, this fixes BT.
WIFI doesn't work, AirportBrcmFixup.kext causes a black screen on 12.1 Beta (21C5045a)

We recommend the Fenvi BCM94360NG, which is natively supported and does not require AirportBrcmFixup. These are very expensive on Amazon, but less than $40 on NewEgg at the moment.

https://www.newegg.com/fenvi-bcm94360ng-pcie-half-mini-card-m-2/p/0XM-00JK-00083
Fixed the issue.
AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext has to be blocked in BigSur and later.
It is enabled by default in the plist of AirportBrcmFixup

The issue is fixed by putting 19.9.9 as MaxKernel for AirportBrcmFixup.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext

I don't see Import from iphone in context menus, also universal clipboard does not seem to work for some reason...

Airdrop works, WiFi works.

Seems like I will order an BCM94360NG after all :(

So is 12900K working with all e-cores activated and hyperthreading? Is AVX-512 disabled in this configuration?
For pure performance in macOS is the 12700KF a better option as you get all 8 performance cores so can fully enable hyperthreading and AVX-512? Who wants to run some encoding benchmarks in FCPX to show us what is the best bang for buck?

So, a few questions, if anyone has answers!

1. If the core issue with 12th Gen Intel is really just iGPU incompatibility, will Monterey recognize the dGPU natively during the installation process, if I already have my build plugged into an AMD RX 6800 XT or 6900 XT?
My only real concern at this point is that I'd just get a black screen, during the installation process, because maybe I needed to install AMD drivers, but couldn't do it until after-installation? Which would have me stuck.

2. Is Clover still a thing, or does everyone use OpenCore, now?
My build's a little aged. As such, I am still on Clover. But I'm willing to learn OpenCore, if it's really that much better.

3. Would it be simpler, or even possible, to install an older OS, and then update it to Monterey? Or simply move my current High Sierra data over to the NVMe, and update up to Monterey from there? Or would a fresh directly-to-OS12 install be cleaner and easier? I wouldn't mind just starting fresh and moving everything over manually, if a fresh install is more ideal.

4. How smooth is Monterey installation, when all parts are compatible?
After much research, this is what I'm currently looking at building:
CPU: 12th Gen Alder Lake, Intel Core i9-12900K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z690 ATX
GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Gaming OC (Or preferably 6800XT, if I can find a good deal)
OS/Applications Drive: WD Black SN750-SE 1Tb NVMe
User/Data Drive: WD Black SN750 2 Tb NVMe

Newegg's running all this at about $3k - outrageous because of the GPU, but both 6800XT and 6900XT seem to be running about the same, so may as well get the bigger one, I suppose. My ideal Macbook Pro is currently running about $4700, probably before tax, and Silicon is still unstable, so I think Hackintosh upgrades aren't a terrible investment, just yet.

I already own a CPU Cooler, Power Supply, 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM, Fenvi BT/Wifi card, Full-Tower Case and a handful of Samsung Sata SSDs for storage that are all listed as being compatible.

Last edited:
~ UPDATE ~

We are clear for takeoff.
Replaced BCM943602BAED with BCM94352Z.

Everything is working and functional in Windows 11, will try installing macOS later tonight.
This Mini ITX Build took me around a month from planning to finish.
Full specs:

Phanteks Evolv Shift 2
Corsair SF500
z690i AORUS
i7-12700K
EK AIO 120
32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200@CL14
2x WD Black SD850 1TB
Gigabyte RX 6600 XT OC

Can anyone recommend a starting point EFI for me?
Thought about starting with @CaseySJ build

The side panel glass peel will be removed only once macOS is running P+HT+E :)View attachment 536679
I read many bad reviews about that motherboard. Disks not being recognized, CPUs as well and what not. How are you finding it? There is a BIOS update that is basically mandatory, F1 to F3, but there were still quite many issues. Many reviews on Newegg if you're interested.

Edit: here : https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-z690i-aorus-ultra-ddr4/p/N82E16813145351

Back