Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Wanna ask about I225-V.
Have somebody any troubles with this NIC on Z690?
Or "plug&play" only?

Wanna ask about I225-V.
Have somebody any troubles with this NIC on Z690?
Or "plug&play" only?
I'm using it right now. Added it in 0penCore. Use device-id 0x8086.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 03.02.09.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 03.02.09.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 54
Forget the last part. I took that out of my config.plist. But it does work.

Forget the last part. I took that out of my config.plist. But it does work.
Me,too. I'm very surprised, but it's really work "from box". I only have set 1000 gigabit in properties.

Any Mini-itx mobos with DDR4 available for socket 1700? I have yet to find any. There is a GIGABYTE version that has bad reviews and an ASROCK version that is yet to be released, I think. Are Gigabyte and Asus board generally well supporterd?

TWIMS: about MSI Z690-A Pro. MSI published on site the new BIOS (.115 beta).
Don't touch this one, this piece of pie on every boot tells "new CPU or new memory, F1 to enter setup or F2 to load defaults". I have to re-flash .113 BIOS.

EFI folder v. 0.6

The generic EFI folders have been amended to OpenCore 0.7.6. Acidanthera's SSDT-PLUG-ALT replaces SSDT-CPUR-Z690.

As with the previous release, there are two EFIs. Pick a sample.plist, fill in serial numbers, check configuration and rename to config.plist.
DEBUG is intended to drop ACPI tables and other reports (PCIInfo.txt provides the PCI paths of devices… if you know the vendor-id/device-id to look for) and for initial attempts, with verbose output. It is set with XhciPortLimit quirk, for USB mapping using Catalina or early Big Sur (11.2).
RELEASE is a more extensive EFI, with GUI. It is set with UsbInjectAll.kext for USB mapping under Big Sur 11.3 and later. Whatever your choice, make sure to use a USB 2.0 device and/or port to boot and map USB as soon as possible, as USB 3 will likely not work without a suitable map.

iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS is easiest to configure, and provides the best performance out of the box. MacPro7,1 SMBIOS benefits from using frequency vectors from iMacPro1,1, which are enabled by default in the corresponding plist.
Edit @StefanAM has found that using a different CPUID could improve performance. It is also possible that the frequency vectors could be further tailored for Alder Lake. Further research into power management is needed.
Edit 4
CPUID 55060A00 is the one that is recommended by Acidanthera, after all. In the (temporary?) absence of Alder Lake frequency vectors, a Rocket Lake frequency vector is here. MacPro7,1 users may experiment with it to replace the supplied data from iMacPro1,1; iMacPro1,1 may add CPUFriend.kext and use the RKL frequency vector. Please benchmark and report.

Items to configure
GPU Uncomment (delete '#') 'agdpmod=pikera' in boot-args if using a Navi GPU (RX 5000 series, RX 6800, RX 6900; RX 6600 requires 12.1, still in beta; RX 6700 is unsupported).
Network Set for Realtek 2.5 GbE, adjust if necessary. For Intel i225 enable one of the two entries under DeviceProperties by removing '#1-' or '#2-' (do not use both!). Broadcom-related kexts are present, but disabled by default.
CPU The EFIs still require suitable BIOS settings. Either:
  1. Disable E-cores. Hyper-threading may be enabled. AVX-512 is possible, if the BIOS support it.
  2. Disable hyper-threading to have P + E cores. This setting may be preferable for some workloads (Cinebench) which prefer real cores over hyper-threads. No AVX-512.
  3. For multiboot with other OSes, enable all P+E-cores and hyperthreading, disable SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml in ACPI and enable SSDT-PLUG-ALT-12.aml for i5-12600K or SSDT-PLUG-16.aml for i7-12700K/i9-12900K; also enable Kernel>Quirk>ProvideCurrentCpuInfo. This hides the E-cores from macOS, leaving only P-cores + HT; no AVX-512, as E-core are enabled.
  4. Or use the newly released CpuTopologySync.kext. In config.plist
    • enable CpuTopologySync.kext;
    • disable SMCProcessor.kext;
    • enable the CpuTopologySync kernel patch which matches your CPU
Option 4. allows macOS to use P-cores, hyper-threading and half of the E-cores (but no AVX-512). To enjoy all threads, we'll have to wait for @vandroiy to polish solution number 5.
Edit CpuTopologySync has been found to cause instability, and has been "suspended" from the repository. It is best not to use it and wait for a new solution.
Edit 2 "Solution 5" for all cores with hyper-threading has been published. It is a new version of ProvideCurrentCpuInfo quirk, and so requires a pre-0.7.7 version of OpenCore.

Always carefully check the configuration! I update these folders without having an Alder Lake system to validate, so there could be errors.

For further refinements (wake fixups, Thunderbolt AIC… for which SSDTs and kexts are present in the Release folder, but disabled) and more detailed instructions, refer to @CaseySJ 's Golden Build Z690 Aero G thread. His configurator screnshots apply equally to these EFIs, I've only chosen to keep the traditional CPU options 1. and 2. as default instead of switching to 4. because this seems a safer option for new motherboards.

Attachments

• OC-076-Z690-V6.zip
    17.1 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Back