Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Hyper threading is just make belief though. It’s basically intel saying that there was some extra capacity left in a core and by pretending one core is two, the OS could use this tiny bit of extra capacity efficiently

Yes. A distinct process can run on an individual core's HW thread (HTT), but the core's execution unit is shared by it's two HW threads, and they blow up each other's cache, so there's only an incremental performance gain of claiming execution resources leftover to be claimed by the other thread. It's a gimmicky gambit of putting SW into HW in a way that creates a mess of the architecture, but it works I think there's a rule of thumb that you want the same instructions (program) to run on both cores to mitigate the local cache effects. The net effect is about a best case 15 percent gain from the second thread. For 6 cores all part of the same program counts for another core. An E core counts for something like 80% (this is all me handwaving) of a P-core, so E-core is much more powerful and useful than a hyperthread. My recollection of introduction of HTT was considered a gross gimmick, but PC support for symmetric multiprocessing was still an exciting new and expensive direction, so getting some of multiprocessing advantages within a PC board socket was a show stealer for Windows against workstation-class kit. Those days are past, but Intel is still sort of trapped in these gimmicky ways of thinking while Apple is free to move on. For unlimited power desktops where a GPU that sucks 500W is considered a viable option, an E-core looks stupid, but its there to let Intel offer 12th in mobile and keep balancing the house of cards that is its product lineup.

Hey everyone, I understand that the native Iris graphics are currently not supported, but is it possible that it might be supported in the future?

Hey everyone, I understand that the native Iris graphics are currently not supported, but is it possible that it might be supported in the future?
At this time it’s looking highly unlikely that Apple will release another Intel based Mac. There were rumors of one more Intel based update to Mac Pro, but those rumors subsided a while ago. But even that wouldn’t have helped because Mac Pro uses a Xeon processor, which means no iGPU and hence no need to develop drivers for them.

Forget about it. Apple is going all in on the Apple Silicon transition, and Alder Lake and future Intel platforms including their CPU integrated graphics will NOT be supported.

If you insist on going with this platform to run MacOS, you will have to get a supported (most likely AMD) graphics card, and you are on your own. Any future software incompatibilities with the platform (if any) may not be addressed.

ASRock Z690 Steel Legend WiFi

worked
fine with following configuration:
- 12700K (8 P cores with HT. and 0 E cores.) with DDR4 32GB
- OpenCore 0.7.6, macOS 12.0.1, BIOS 2.02
- BIOS setting: Above 4G Decoding had to be enabled.
- On-board 2.5GbE (RTL8125BG)
- BCM94360NG worked OOB by replacing original Intel's one
- Radeon RX 580
- Kexts: Lilu.kext, VirtualSMC.kext, WhateverGreen.kext, AppleALC.kext, LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext, USBInjectAll.kext
- ACPI: SSDT-CPUR-Z690.aml, SSDT-AWAC.aml, SSDT-EC-USBX.aml, SSDT-PLUG.aml, SSDT-SBUS.aml
- config.plist: modified the one found in https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/z690-chipset-and-alder-lake-cpus.316618/page-109#post-2290069 .
- SystemProductName: iMacPro1,1

Although further tuning (USB, sound, performance ...) is still required, the current benchmark result comparable with M1 Max is good enough.
It would be great to create and develop a topic for this!

Last edited:
ASRock Z690 Steel Legend WiFi

worked
fine with following configuration:
- 12700K (8 P cores with HT. and 0 E cores.) with DDR4 32GB
Did you load Windows 10/11 with 0 E-cores? On my MSI Z690 + 12500K the CPU is heating too hard without E-cores in Windows.

Got it working on an Asus Z690m Plus D4 w/ 12700k. Used the EFI found here and modded it a little. Everything works so far except E cores (causes panic). Installed Monterey on NVMe (using my Mac mini 2014). Put drive in desktop and used EFI. Couldn't do a clean install as it would hang. Used MacPro 2019 7,1

Last edited:
Got it working on an Asus Z690m Plus D4 w/ 12700k. Used the EFI found here and modded it a little. Everything works so far except E cores (causes panic). Installed Monterey on NVMe (using my Mac mini 2014). Put drive in desktop and used EFI. Couldn't do a clean install as it would hang. Used MacPro 2019 7,1
You should create a User Build Description or a Monterey Guide. I recommend a Build Description.

Back