Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

View attachment 534990So I swapped over the WD M.2 from the B550 Vision D, and this is what came up for the AJA disk test.
Much improved for sure!

Today after a long time I managed to run Macos. It seems to me that something was wrong with Nvram.
I bought 3 SSD 2TB M.2 PCIE NVME 4.0 x4.
1637341851368.jpg

1637341851295.jpg

211119174726.jpg

AJA test 1 SSD

Screenshot 2021-11-19 at 18.59.49.png

AJA test 2 SSD RAID 0
Screenshot 2021-11-19 at 19.01.29.png

AJA test 3 SSD RAID 0

Screenshot 2021-11-19 at 18.51.29.png

Unfortunately, my MSI Z690-A Pro can't load with this two EFIs: Monterey, Install Monterey and Recovery.
I tried with HT off.
I was just using this EFI on my MSI Z690-A pro on Monterey and it works just fine. Just edit SMBIOS to add your own serial number and whatever green flags depending on your GPU.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    11.1 MB · Views: 94
@rushstrike Was there any critical setting to change with this MSI board? Any trick or hint to share?

I'm also curious what frequency vectors you're adding to the iMacPro setting.

@rushstrike Was there any critical setting to change with this MSI board? Any trick or hint to share?

I'm also curious what frequency vectors you're adding to the iMacPro setting.
I think the CPUDATA frequency vector is not needed on iMac. I just use CPUFRIENDFRIEND to generate those. I don't remember anything special on MSI board other than making sure CFGLOCK is disabled.

The current version of the BIOS has a bug where toggling individual E-core won't turn it off. The only choice is to disable hyper-threading so maybe that's what @sonny362 encountered.

There is a beta BIOS from one of the links from this thread that actually can turn off the E cores. I felt the beta bios is much better with faster shutdown and restart plus E core disabling bug fix so I would recommend to use the beta bios with this MSI board.

I got the gigabyte DDR4 now and about to return this MSI board soon. The AERO G DDR4 board gave me about 2-4% better performance in game benchmarks and geeekbench for exact same hardware setup.

For anyone who needs a new pcie 4.0 m.2 : XPG 2TB GAMMIX S70 Blade - Works with Playstation 5, PCIe Gen4 M.2 2280 Internal Gaming SSD Up to 7,400 MB/s (AGAMMIXS70B-2T-CS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093DNV47J/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

This seems like a good drive although I am just using it for windows gaming at the moment . Still using my xpg8200 for macOS.
Read the low reviews for that Amazon link and the stories give reasons to think this make of drive may subject buyer to bin-sort (luck of draw) problems and maybe controllers that are sub-optimal.

Way back in day a company called OCZ wrecked their business over sketchy SSD designs that really hurt some users. So buying new storage text from bargain bin depends on solid designs with proven endurance. That can't yet be said of commodities NVMe.

Note that the gamer is the least rigorous target market for workload expectations and reliability. Gaming users typically know little about computing, have been conditioned to expect to have their data thrown away by tweaks and lore as they straining for bragging rights, and data loss is all too often due to the machinations of the game industry, in a market that thrives on churn and benefits from user re-purchase of content.

Today after a long time I managed to run Macos. It seems to me that something was wrong with Nvram.
I bought 3 SSD 2TB M.2 PCIE NVME 4.0 x4.
View attachment 535005

View attachment 535004

View attachment 535010

AJA test 1 SSD

View attachment 535007
AJA test 2 SSD RAID 0
View attachment 535008

AJA test 3 SSD RAID 0

View attachment 535006
Please set the AJA test file size to a custom value of a 100G, or more, so it can get its legs under it. So far this demos that M.2 slot lanes run in tandem at PCIe3 speeds. This can be achieved on years old kit.

anyone have a recommendation for an AIO cooler that can support Alderlake i9-12900K for US shipping?

MSI: coolers have rounded plate that may not align with Alderlake well so I want to avoid them.
Corsair: uses USB to control pump/fan speed through their node core module so definitely want to avoid them
EK: I like them the most since they use traditional PWM to control fan and pump but their lga1700 bracket will take a while to ship from EU.
NZXT:LGA 1700 bracket requests has no ETA.

Read the low reviews for that Amazon link and the stories give reasons to think this make of drive may subject buyer to bin-sort (luck of draw) problems and maybe controllers that are sub-optimal.

Way back in day a company called OCZ wrecked their business over sketchy SSD designs that really hurt some users. So buying new storage text from bargain bin depends on solid designs with proven endurance. That can't yet be said of commodities NVMe.

Note that the gamer is the least rigorous target market for workload expectations and reliability. Gaming users typically know little about computing, have been conditioned to expect to have their data thrown away by tweaks and lore as they straining for bragging rights, and data loss is all too often due to the machinations of the game industry, in a market that thrives on churn and benefits from user re-purchase of content.

Forgive my cheek - and sense of humour - but this is the SSD I picked-up today on impulse:

ssd.jpg

Given all I'm reading here today, I get the feeling it won't cut the mustard, as they say, for Alder-Lake! :D

Did you see this ? https://github.com/dortania/bugtracker/issues/192

Incompatible with IONVMeFamily (die under heavy load)

• GIGABYTE 512 GB M.2 PCIe SSD (e.g. GP-GSM2NE8512GNTD) (need more tests)
Don't push it too hard and hope the warranty service is good.

Thanks. I think I'll be okay. It's only a SATA 2.5" drive. As basic as you can get. I'm only going to use it in a caddy as a storage disk. Only a basic three-year warranty but I doubt I'd bother invoking it considering the price - $18 :thumbup:

Back