Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

The plot thickens…

It could be useful to have two full sets of ACPI tables for one of these Z690 Gigabyte boards from both "good BIOS" F7/F8 and "bad BIOS" F20/F21, so we could look at what has changed.
BIOS and ACPI tables Z690 Gaming X DDR4
F8+Titan Ridge 2
F21+Titan Ridge 2 (does not detect thunderbolt)
F21+Maple Ridge

Attachments

• BIOSz690GXddr4.zip
    19.4 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thanks @ori69 !
As I feared, browsing though the ACPI dumps is quickly going WAAAY above my hackintoshing pay grade, and generates more questions than answers.

Quick findings:

F21 has a much bigger DSDT than F8.

There are smaller changes to SSDT-6 and 13. In particular SSDT-6 now defines an event handler \_GPE._L21 () which is… empty. I have not yet found where it would be called—hopefully nowhere since it would do nothing.
Capture d’écran 2022-12-12 à 17.40.36.png

(If this is even relevant, that's something for @CaseySJ or @Elias64Fr rather than yours truly.)

F21 now has a DMAR table, without reserved memory regions, which should make it good for macOS. But there's no matching DMAC device with _HID PNP0200 in the DSDT. (Reference: @StefanAM in the Z390 Designare thread)
This is not obviously related to the second wake issue, but:
Is AppleVTD enabled and displayed in IOReg?
If not, can it be enabled? (Requires VT-d in BIOS, DisableIoMapper false, no 'dart=0' boot-arg, SetupVirtualMap true)
If still not, is AppleVTD enabled in BIOS F21 by further adding SSDT-DMAC?

Attachments

• SSDT-DMAC.aml
    166 bytes · Views: 18
Please anybody, any help would be appreciated, I have destroyed 6 days trying to get this Alder Lake build on its feet.
CPU: i7-12700k
MOBO: Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR5
GPU: AMD Radeon 6600

Followed the OC guide and got Monterey installed, but only my USB2 ports are powered. There is literally zero power going to my other ports. They show up in IOReg but do not respond when anything is plugged into them. I have tried EHC patch renames, building SSDT's, changing SYMBIOS, USBInjectAll/USBToolBox, EVERYTHING!!!! I have no idea how to at least get these ports powered so that I can attempt to map. XHCI is enabled in BIOS. You seem to be the only person who has success with these builds, please help me!

Attachments

• config.plist
    33.2 KB · Views: 19
  • opencore-2022-12-14-182746.txt
    256 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 12.44.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 12.44.07 PM.png
    50.1 KB · Views: 20
@kijijistuffforsale You're using USBInjectAll.kext without a companion kext or SSDT to describe your ports, and the XhciPortLimit quirk which does not work since Big Sur 11.3. Proper USB mapping is required. You may do it with USBToolBox from Windows, or manually in macOS as explained here

Do we agree that AppleXcpmForceBoost is not needed when a proper CPUDataProvider is present?

@c-o-pr

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Someone once said, it’s better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. We can try and fail, but often it’s the journey that matters.

You have decided to quit without even trying. That’s your choice.
I'm 77 years old, and I will never stop trying! I just ordered Gigabyte Z790 AERO D with 64 gigs of DDR5 6000 CL 40 40 40 raRAMm. I'm looking forward to using Ventura on it. Merry Christmas to everyone from the old man on the Carolina Coast.

F22 is out.
No more hang at 2nd sleep

Really? that's great. I'm gonna try it out shortly
Nope, it doesn't resolve the issue, at least not on Z690M DS3H, it actually introduces another issue: now the system doesn't seem to be able to go to sleep normally at all, the only way to put it to sleep is with "pmset sleepnow"

Schermata 2022-12-18 alle 8.04.26 AM.png

Back