Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Has anyone else got this board, and updated to the F21 BIOS? and managed to get it to boot Mac OS? I have reflashed it back to the F7 Bios as it turned out the backup i made "was not a recognised bios file" and thankfully it booted after hand entering the settings again.
Thanks for this further report of issues with Gigabyte BIOS updates on Z690. Sleep here, Thunderbolt there… There's clearly a pattern.

I would like to get this resolved as id like to pick up a 13th gen early next year. and perhaps a new GPU if any of the RX 7000 series cards will work in Mac OS.
With an i9-12900K you should be in no urge to upgrade. But if you cannot resist the buying itch, I would suggest getting a new Z790 motherboard from Asus or AsRock (essentially: not Gigabyte) and DDR5 RAM for maximal performance. @sjoseph has just reported a 25% uplift in multithreaded Geekbench… to the extent that a synthetic benchmark may be meaningful to real workloads.

Thanks for this further report of issues with Gigabyte BIOS updates on Z690. Sleep here, Thunderbolt there… There's clearly a pattern.

With an i9-12900K you should be in no urge to upgrade. But if you cannot resist the buying itch, I would suggest getting a new Z790 motherboard from Asus or AsRock (essentially: not Gigabyte) and DDR5 RAM for maximal performance. @sjoseph has just reported a 25% uplift in multithreaded Geekbench… to the extent that a synthetic benchmark may be meaningful to real workloads.
Well, I have gone in and reflashed it to the f21 BIOS. I have entered all the settings I had previously on the f7 BIOS, and it only sits on the Apple logo, no progress bar. I shall toggle verbose mode to see what it says. if anything.

I can't say I've had much issues with Gigabyte boards and hacks, up till now. My backup machine is a Z170-UD5 TH board with a i7-7700K, PowerColor RX 5500 XT, 32GB DDR4, and running Ventura the same as my main hack.

I don't see the point of forking out for a Z790, when this board works great, has plenty RAM, and still 2 free slots that I can stick another 64GB in. I use these machines mainly for PhotoShop and Iillustrator. So, yeah, I can use the processing power, and, basically, as it's my livelihood, and it's a tax write off. I figure if I'm over in the USA, and parts are a fair bit cheaper there (I'm in the UK) I pick them up when I can, besides I can sell the 12900K to offset some of the outlay, same with the GPU if I can get a working upgrade. Its just a PITA that so far this BIOS update has been annoying.

I don't use sleep at all.
Thanks. I don't think I have found anyone yet running a 13000K processor on a Z690/790 board that has sleep working. Hopefully someone found a solution.

Well, I have gone in and reflashed it to the f21 BIOS. I have entered all the settings I had previously on the f7 BIOS, and it only sits on the Apple logo, no progress bar. I shall toggle verbose mode to see what it says. if anything.

I can't say I've had much issues with Gigabyte boards and hacks, up till now. My backup machine is a Z170-UD5 TH board with a i7-7700K, PowerColor RX 5500 XT, 32GB DDR4, and running Ventura the same as my main hack.

I don't see the point of forking out for a Z790, when this board works great, has plenty RAM, and still 2 free slots that I can stick another 64GB in. I use these machines mainly for PhotoShop and Iillustrator. So, yeah, I can use the processing power, and, basically, as it's my livelihood, and it's a tax write off. I figure if I'm over in the USA, and parts are a fair bit cheaper there (I'm in the UK) I pick them up when I can, besides I can sell the 12900K to offset some of the outlay, same with the GPU if I can get a working upgrade. Its just a PITA that so far this BIOS update has been annoying.
Well, I went in and put EXACTLY the same known working booting settings into the BIOS, (f7 - f21), and it sits on the Apple logo. No progress bar. So looks like its an issue with the BIOS itself. I'll see if they put out a refreshed one at a later date.

Thanks. I don't think I have found anyone yet running a 13000K processor on a Z690/790 board that has sleep working. Hopefully someone found a solution.
I always have sleep turned off. I never put my computer to sleep. When I finish work, I turn it off.

I always have sleep turned off. I never put my computer to sleep. When I finish work, I turn it off.
How are you liking the 13900k on the Z690? I haven't found the bottom of my 12700k yet but i've still got the itch...

Woah, 16 Efficiency cores but they all boost to 4.3? That rules.

Well, I went in and put EXACTLY the same known working booting settings into the BIOS, (f7 - f21), and it sits on the Apple logo. No progress bar. So looks like its an issue with the BIOS itself. I'll see if they put out a refreshed one at a later date.
Same here. Update to bios ver. F21 = hangs at Apple logo with no progress bar. Had to go back to F6

Aaand sleep is gone.
The first attempt works, the second it fails: the display turns off, keyboard and mouse too, without responding again. It seems that cannot complete to fully enter the sleep state.
Make sure you have "SetupVirtualMap" enabled in the booter quirks

Back