Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

I tried your EFI, but it doesn't work for me.
you will have to be more specific than that

if you both have the same make and model motherboard and other hardware, using the same USB setup, also using the same bios settings, then it may work

I just realized that the USB with the efi has to be plugged on the black port of the usb, but not the blue or yellow (from my 5000D airflow case), or it won't work at all.

I just realized that the USB with the efi has to be plugged on the black port of the usb, but not the blue or yellow (from my 5000D airflow case), or it won't work at all.
Yes, probably because I've enabled the UTBMap & USBToolbox.kext in the EFI (UTB is my custom USB map) which may slightly differ from your board design (even though it is Prime Z690). What you need to do is once you've got your system going using this EFI is to further refine the USB map for your system. To do that you need to run the Hackintools app to see which ports are activated and also possibly create a new USB map using USBMap script by Corpnewt > https://github.com/corpnewt/USBMap and reduce the ports to only 15 so that it stays within the macOS limitation.

Another method is to disable my current UTBMap & USBToolbox.kext and just try USBInjectAll.kext and see if that works better. I've turned off the XHCIPortLimit quirk in my build because I found it didn't work/boot under Monterey.

Also booting with the RX6900XT, I would advise connecting your HDMI monitor to the 2nd port from the right on the back of the card. I found it works better overall and that when booting into macOS there is a bit of a slight delay by a few minutes before it gets to the login screen.

Might help if you run through the steps to disable the UTBMap and USBToolbox.kext in your EFI
Sure. That can be done quite easily. You could grab a copy of either Opencore Configurator (under same correct release date as OC build), PList Pro or PList Editor. Open up the config.plist file and navigate to the Kernels section of the file and remove them there by either unchecking the boxes or renaming them to Disabled.

Well look like my system is stable again. I changed BIOS setting and disabled Asus multi core enhancement, Change XMP II to XMP1 and also forced BCLK to 100.0 instead of Auto.
@rushstrike
I just experienced a WindowServer KP just now. I've also been experiencing issues when I launch the latest FireFox, as it will just hang when it brings up the browser window on first launch. I have to force quit. This most recent WindowServer KP occurred right after a FireFox hang. This is a vanilla install of FireFox, no add-ons. These all started when I upgraded the BIOS to 1720 and MacOS 12.5.1 (both at the same time). I am now running BIOS 2004 and MacOS 12.6. I'm wondering if this is an Asus i9 issue? No one on the Z690 ProArt discussion appears to be having these issues. Have your BIOS modifications fixed the issue? How is the performance with those settings?

@rushstrike
I just experienced a WindowServer KP just now. I've also been experiencing issues when I launch the latest FireFox, as it will just hang when it brings up the browser window on first launch. I have to force quit. This most recent WindowServer KP occurred right after a FireFox hang. This is a vanilla install of FireFox, no add-ons. These all started when I upgraded the BIOS to 1720 and MacOS 12.5.1 (both at the same time). I am now running BIOS 2004 and MacOS 12.6. I'm wondering if this is an Asus i9 issue? No one on the Z690 ProArt discussion appears to be having these issues. Have your BIOS modifications fixed the issue? How is the performance with those settings?
I didn't notice any significant performance drop other than maybe a -5% on 3dmark benchmark while on windows. System is stable enough for my normal use VS code (Jupyter notebook) and I haven't had any KP since Oct 3rd . But I did experience a minor glitch this morning on Message app when clicking on an address in a text. If I click on the address then it supposed to bring a popup to open the address in Apple Maps. However, when I clicked on it I got a spinning beach ball that took a long time before it cleared up on its own without any KP. While I had the spinning beach ball I could use other apps but the system would not respond to me opening iStats Menu drop down bar. I am not 100% sure if this is related to the original hackintosh/bios problem or it could just be a macOS 12.6 software problem.

I didn't notice any significant performance drop other than maybe a -5% on 3dmark benchmark while on windows. System is stable enough for my normal use VS code (Jupyter notebook) and I haven't had any KP since Oct 3rd . But I did experience a minor glitch this morning on Message app when clicking on an address in a text. If I click on the address then it supposed to bring a popup to open the address in Apple Maps. However, when I clicked on it I got a spinning beach ball that took a long time before it cleared up on its own without any KP. While I had the spinning beach ball I could use other apps but the system would not respond to me opening iStats Menu drop down bar. I am not 100% sure if this is related to the original hackintosh/bios problem or it could just be a macOS 12.6 software problem.
I think the unique way to know it, is to make a clean & fresh install of OS. Because, when you make a lot of changes in software, there are more options to get bugs and problems. Let's see...

Back