Register

Z690 Chipset and Alder Lake CPUs

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Guys, what's the best (or a good) motherboard on Z690 today for Monterey and DDR5 it's worth(compatibility and stability on MacOs) or still DDR4?:)
I was more or less on your same boat and I ended getting a Gigabyte Gaming X DDR4 which was on sale at Amazon because I own 64GB of Crucial 3600MHz and didn’t justify getting the same quantity of DDR5 memory for a fraction of the performance advantage.

Having said that, it depends on your budget and you will, as @Leesureone said. @CaseySJ doesn’t need introduction; if I wanted a DDR5 build, I would have chosen his ASUS Z690 Creator build.

Look amongst my last posts, you can find a few posts in relevant threads

Motherboard
Asus Z690 Strix E DDR5
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Has anyone tried patching an asus bios z690 but replaced only the microcode version to use an older version to allow avx-512 while e core is off ?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR5
CPU
i9-13900KF
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
@CaseySJ; @Elias64Fr
Apple has used an unknown Thunderbolt chip in the latest MacBook M2.
Zrzut ekranu 2022-07-20 o 20.13.51.png

Our dreams of a full Maple ridge launch probably won't come true.
iFixIt

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ; @Elias64Fr
Apple has used an unknown Thunderbolt chip in the latest MacBook M2.
View attachment 551753
Our dreams of a full Maple ridge launch probably won't come true.
iFixIt

As we can see from the iFixit website, they meant to say redriver in the YouTube video, instead of driver. There's a big difference between those two words.

A redriver's primary task is to boost the high frequency component of a signal because that part of the signal can weaken (or attenuate) over long distances.

The Thunderbolt controller is built into the M2 SoC located on the left side of the circuit board (image below). If the Thunderbolt port is located a fair distance away from the controller, then a redriver is necessary to ensure signal integrity.

This is also why longer Thunderbolt 3 cables are significantly more expensive than short (or passive) cables. Longer Thunderbolt 3 cables -- generally longer than 24 inches -- have built-in redrivers and are called active cables. Shorter and cheaper ones don't need a redriver and are called passive cables.

Screenshot 2022-07-23 at 4.30.18 AM.png

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4
CPU
i5-12600KF
Graphics
Sapphire RX 580 4GB
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just noticed Gigabyte dropped a BIOS update last Friday for seemingly all their Z690 boards, f20a. The only note is "Supports and powers up Intel next generation processor" whatever the heck that means.

Anyone tried it out and have any thoughts?

Leesureone

Motherboard
Asus Z690 Rog Strix G Gaming
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X
CPU
i5-12600K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I just noticed Gigabyte dropped a BIOS update last Friday for seemingly all their Z690 boards, f20a. The only note is "Supports and powers up Intel next generation processor" whatever the heck that means.

Anyone tried it out and have any thoughts?
I would hold off installing this for the time being. I installed the new BIOS on my Gaming X motherboard, two days ago, and can no longer boot into Monterey or Ventura (Public Beta). Will wait to hear if any other users are affected, or if this is just down to my configuration. Hopefully a workaround or fix can then be found.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z790 Aero G
CPU
i9-13900K
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Anyone have success with the Asrock Z690M Phantom Gaming 4? Looking for a DDR4 option in MicroATX size.

Motherboard
Gigabyte C246-WU4
CPU
E-2278G
Graphics
WX7100
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
I would hold off installing this for the time being. I installed the new BIOS on my Gaming X motherboard, two days ago, and can no longer boot into Monterey or Ventura (Public Beta). Will wait to hear if any other users are affected, or if this is just down to my configuration. Hopefully a workaround or fix can then be found.
Same report on Z690 Aero G.
I trust you've checked all BIOS settings, which may have been reset by the update. It would be worth dumping ACPI tables (SysReport) on BIOS F20a and compare with the tables from an earlier BIOS to see if Gigabyte changed something.

Follow-up: @StefanAM runs his Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master on F20a with SetupVirtualMap enabled.

Last edited: