Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

In the US we have a retail store chain called MicroCenter. You've probably heard of it. They have been the best place to buy hard to find PC components. We don't have one here in Silicon Valley, but luckily my brother was driving through Ohio last week and stopped at one of three MicroCenters in the state.

They are selling i7-12700K for US$350 (which is $100 discount) so I asked him to buy one for me. They also had several AMD RX 6600 and 6600 XT units in stock, so we purchased a Sapphire RX 6600 XT for $520. That is a high price, but with the $100 discount on CPU, it was a reasonable total cost (in this market).

MicroCenter is also the best place to find DDR5 memory. They get new shipments about every week or two.

Bottom Line: At least in the US, a large retailer (not online store) may be the best place to check for PC components. It may be necessary to visit them on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.
Microcenter is famous even I am from Hong Kong :lol:.

I am actually talking this: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/radeon-rx-6000-price-increase-tsmc

And I can confirm it is true. New GPU prices should be increased worldwide AGAIN. The price list I got is dealer price, not market selling price and already over $50 to $100 more from what Tom's Hardware said. So market prices must be even higher than expected.

The semiconductor shortage is not just for the high end chips. Most low end chips which cost only some cents are having huge lead time since 2021. Some vendors just do not accept new orders while other offer almost 1 year lead time. And the problem is there is no sign of recovery.

In the US we have a retail store chain called MicroCenter. You've probably heard of it. They have been the best place to buy hard to find PC components. We don't have one here in Silicon Valley, but luckily my brother was driving through Ohio last week and stopped at one of three MicroCenters in the state.

That's where I snagged my 12600k this past weekend. The website says 'limited availability' but they had a shelf full of them at the one in MI. They're also running $20 off a Z690 board when you buy a board and proc at the same time.

As for my hack, sleep appears to cause a panic/restart. No time to investigate for a couple days but it works great if I don't let it sleep.

That's where I snagged my 12600k this past weekend. The website says 'limited availability' but they had a shelf full of them at the one in MI. They're also running $20 off a Z690 board when you buy a board and proc at the same time.

As for my hack, sleep appears to cause a panic/restart. No time to investigate for a couple days but it works great if I don't let it sleep.
Does your system enter sleep, but crash/reboot on wake?

If so, type this in Terminal:
Bash:
log show --last boot | head -1500 > ~/Documents/bootlog/txt
This will create a file in Documents folder called bootlog.txt. Simply post that file.

They are selling i7-12700K for US$350 (which is $100 discount) so I asked him to buy one for me. They also had several AMD RX 6600 and 6600 XT units in stock, so we purchased a Sapphire RX 6600 XT for $520. That is a high price, but with the $100 discount on CPU, it was a reasonable total cost (in this market).

MicroCenter is also the best place to find DDR5 memory. They get new shipments about every week or two.

Bottom Line: At least in the US, a large retailer (not online store) may be the best place to check for PC components. It may be necessary to visit them on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.
There's an empty Fry's building in Indianapolis that would be a perfect place for a MicroCenter!!

Does your system enter sleep, but crash/reboot on wake?

If so, type this in Terminal:
Bash:
log show --last boot | head -1500 > ~/Documents/bootlog/txt
This will create a file in Documents folder called bootlog.txt. Simply post that file.

This is exactly the issue. Goes to sleep fine but crashes before the screen comes up on wake.

Attachments

• bootlog.txt
    239.9 KB · Views: 46
There's an empty Fry's building in Indianapolis that would be a perfect place for a MicroCenter!!
There are several empty Fry’s building here in Silicon Valley that would be perfect places for MicroCenters (plural)! :)

This is exactly the issue. Goes to sleep fine but crashes before the screen comes up on wake.
There is one ACPI error in the boot log:
Code:
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) ACPI Error:
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [\_SB_.PC00.MC__]
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [\_SB_.PC00.MC__]
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform)  Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND,
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND,
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) (SSDT:IgfxSsdt) while loading table
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) (SSDT:IgfxSsdt) while loading table
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform)  (20160930/tbxfload-319)
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform)  (20160930/tbxfload-319)
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) 1 table load failures, 12 successful
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) 1 table load failures, 12 successful
To fix this error please add the following ACPI --> Patch (shown in blue highlight):
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 3.37.30 PM.png

Table Signature: SSDT
OemTableID: 49676678 53736474
Find: 4D435F5F
Replace: 4D434843
Comment: Change MC__ to MCHC
Enabled: Checked On

This may or may not fix your wake-from-sleep issue, but should be done anyway. On Gigabyte Z690 boards there is another ACPI error, affecting table GSWApp, that causes reboot on wake.

But let's fix the above error and see what happens.

Last edited:
This may or may not fix your wake-from-sleep issue, but should be done anyway. On Gigabyte Z690 boards there is another ACPI error, affecting table GSWApp, that causes reboot on wake.

But let's fix the above error and see what happens.

You're on the ball with this stuff. Lol. Thank you again.

That specific error is gone but now there's a bunch more. Still panics when trying to wake.

Code:
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [_SB_.PC00.RP02.PXSX]

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [\_SB.PC00.RP01.PXSX] (Node ffffff8b598df150)
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) , AE_NOT_FOUND

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [_SB_.PC00.RP06.PXSX]

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [\_SB.PC00.RP05.PXSX] (Node ffffff8b598f6390)

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [_SB_.PC00.RP10.PXSX]

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [\_SB.PC00.RP09.PXSX] (Node ffffff8b598c8990)

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [\_SB_.PC00.RP08.PXSX.WIST]
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform)  Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUNDkernel: (AppleACPIPlatform)  Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [\_SB.PC00.LPCB.H_EC._STA] (Node ffffff8b598e7870)

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [^^^GFX0.CLID]

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) Method parse/execution failed

Attachments

• bootlog.txt
    238.6 KB · Views: 56
You're on the ball with this stuff. Lol. Thank you again.

That specific error is gone but now there's a bunch more. Still panics when trying to wake.

Code:
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [_SB_.PC00.RP02.PXSX]

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [\_SB.PC00.RP01.PXSX] (Node ffffff8b598df150)

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [_SB_.PC00.RP06.PXSX]

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [\_SB.PC00.RP05.PXSX] (Node ffffff8b598f6390)

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [_SB_.PC00.RP10.PXSX]

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [\_SB.PC00.RP09.PXSX] (Node ffffff8b598c8990)

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [\_SB_.PC00.RP08.PXSX.WIST]
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform)  Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUNDkernel: (AppleACPIPlatform)  Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [^^^GFX0.CLID]

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) Method parse/execution failed
These are post-load errors that occur even on Gigabyte Z690 boards. We can largely overlook them although they haven't been more fully studied.

Does your system panic/reboot on second wake-from-sleep or even on first wake-from-sleep?

Is there a Thunderbolt add-in-card installed?

Have USB ports been properly mapped?

Are there any "unusual" devices connected to the system? (Other than GPU, NVMe SSD, SATA SSD, WiFi/BT card.)

Back