Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

To admins. You removed this post: "I don't know if it will work for everyone, but I have P+E+HT activated now.
I kept only 16 processors in SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml and use If (_OSI ("Darwin")) for having HT in windows and linux.
I think it is a good start. Have fun!", because I forgot the serial number on photo attached? If yes, thank you!

It would be amazing if Intel’s hybrid x86 performance inspires apple to come back
If Intel were to produce that kind of performance and their chips ran cooler and used less energy than the M1 Pro/Max, then it would give Apple something to think about. We all know that Alder Lake CPUs are drawing a lot more power and creating much more heat than Apple's SoC's do. So the chance of this happening any time soon is not very likely.

If Intel were to produce that kind of performance and their chips ran cooler and used less energy than the M1 Pro/Max, then it would give Apple something to think about. We all know that Alder Lake CPUs are drawing a lot more power and creating much more heat than Apple's SoC's do. So the chance of this happening any time soon is not very likely.
This is true I completely agree. But Alder Lake is a good first step.

I will be watching laptop Alder Lake, Raptor Lake (if released for laptop), and Meteor Lake with keen interest to see what Intel can do in terms of performance per watt when it’s processors are constrained in a thin and light enclosure and have to run on battery.

One major benefit of Apple Silicon is how little power it draws, for the performance that the user gets in return. In my testing it draws between 7-15 W while I’m just browsing the web and doing day to day tasks like word, outlook, coding, etc. Of course under load it ramps up but rarely does it go above 30W unless I’m pushing it really hard. I don’t know if or how Intel will do the same using x86… but you never know, as the process nodes shrink, perhaps intel will deliver power-efficient cores or tiles.

To admins. You removed this post: "I don't know if it will work for everyone, but I have P+E+HT activated now.
I kept only 16 processors in SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml and use If (_OSI ("Darwin")) for having HT in windows and linux.
I think it is a good start. Have fun!", because I forgot the serial number on photo attached? If yes, thank you!
Oh wow so we can actually create SSDT that could have all cores enabled + HT but not mess up macOS?

Gigabyte updated the Aero D BIOS with F6a. We can finally disable all the E-cores (with the 12700K, the F3 BIOS could only disable 3 out of 4... 1 had to be active at all times, which doesn't play well with x86_validate_topology()). With that, we have an 8 core / 16 thread cpu.

1637466798881.png

Not bad. Still tinkering.

Doesn't work, but thanx.
@StefanAM

as said in this tread, clearing NVRAM is sometime required.

You can try with patches :
  • device-id to C0940000
  • compatible to 706369316436612C39346330000000
  • kernel patch defined by @dehjomz or find on linked post (used as usual for AQC107 on BigSur+)
  • make a NVRAM reset on Opencore piker
If nothing, try replacing on patch identifier com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion by AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion then NVRAM reset another time.

Last edited:
Gigabyte updated the Aero D BIOS with F6a, we can finally disable all the E-cores (with the 12700K, the F3 BIOS could only disable 3 out of 4... 1 had to be active at all times, which doesn't play well with x86_validate_topology()). With that, we have an 8 core / 16 thread cpu.

View attachment 535145

Not bad. Still tinkering.
2039 single core... Single core performance is the final frontier for a DAW at this point in time. My current single core is 1250 so 2039 is a huge step up. I would like to see some DAW benchmarks at some point.

@StefanAM That is intriguing… The understanding so far was that OS X got processor information from MADT (APIC.aml table) and that there was no way to trick it through a SSDT. Could you provide the ACPI tables from MaciASL (File>Export tableset…) and the corresponding IOReg (or just indicate whether any of the ioregs you posted for @Elias64Fr corresponds to the situation with your cut-down SSDT-PLUG-ALT) to see what is going on?

Back