Radeon 6870 with triple-head
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,

I'm unable to make Mountain Lion work on my z68XP-UD3, and... I'm using the integrated HD3000. I want this thread to help me to solve my problem, and at the same time, it cold be a reference thread for people with my same motherboard and UEFI bios.

So, since I'm in a point in with I can't go on, I think I have to take it easy, deep breath, keep in mind the steps I've made, start again looking for existent threads in this forum talking about it, and rely on the knowledge and experience of the forum's members to help me.

I have to thank wildwillow for his interest and help in this thread, and also jbalint88 in this one.

Read this thread from page 2 for more info.

------------------------------------
Hi all,

I upgraded the bios of my hackintosh to UEFI and solved some problems I had in Windows, but unfortunately it caused a Kernel panic in Lion.

So I've made a copy of all data with time machine and made a completely new install in the hard drive, but this time, with ML. Since I have an ATI 6870 I've been forced to remove it and using integrated intel in order to complete the installation.

I've got many doubs, and I hope someone can help me, are perhaps basic concepts but I've looking and looking for information and can't solve them:

-With Mountain Lion working, just after complete installation, the hard drive didn't boot by himself, I had to boot with installation pendrive and select hard disk. So I installed Multibeast, selected:

-no DSDT
-install drivers for Raltek ALC 889, with no DSDT
-Chimera Bootloader

I've restart and now I can boot from the hard drive, but computer get freeze with white screen and apple logo when loading :(, What Have i do wrong? Hoy can I repair this?

With the board I have, whose are the options that I have to select in multibeast?

What about the ATI 6870? How can I make it work??

Sorry for having so many questions, but I really have no confidence in myself when using the multibeast.

Thanks a lot in advance

In bios make sure your boot order is the "normal" version of the disk you have OS on NOT the UEFI version. Also use boot flags PCIRootUID=0. Also try GraphicsEnabler= No

Thanks to both!

xxasdrossxx, I only checked the driver for ALC889 (no dsdt version) and chimera boot-manager, nothing else.

I've just clean the hard drive and install ML again, an this moment if i restart, i have to use the pendrive to boot.

Whore are the things i have to check in multi beast for my board???

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I have still not install multibeast, I want to wait for some advice.

Refering to the graphics card, I've install the 6780 and works, but it's recognized as ATI 6xxx instead of ATI 6870 as happened before with lion, how can I solve this??

Thanks

In the past to get your system to recognize that card you had to inject the device info into the DSDT. With UEFI you don't need the DSDT so you may want to google a patched version of the ATI6xxx.kext. Otherwise you'll get QE/CI but you will load the default frame buffers instead of having native support for games and the DVD player. You may also try the boot flags ATIConfig=Bulrushes or another frame buffer - google your card for a list of 64 bit frame buffers in MountainLion as well as ATIPorts=3. Again trial and error is your best bet and google is your friend.

As for MultiBeast, based on your board and processor use the options in the screenshots - do not load any power management kext or nullpowermanagement kext as you so not need them with UEFI BIOS - stick to the basics and use the stock kext and drivers as much as possible. You may have to add the bootflags PCIRootUID=0 and GraphicsEnabler=No but see how it boots up first.

Good Luck!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 9.26.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 9.26.10 PM.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 511
  • Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 9.28.05 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 9.28.05 PM.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 445
Many thanks for your answer, jbalint88.

Unfortunately I've a problem when trying to install Multibeast. When it seems that is going to finish it reports it's been a problem and have not install, contact with software developer or something like this. I've reinstall comletely ML and problem persists.

It's very weird since when the other day I installed I had not this problem, simply Mountain Lion didn't boot after restart.

I think it can be some relation with the problem of the ATI 6870 that I have. I Have try:

-Install ML with intel integrated and then plug ATI - Result: VGA is recognized as ATI 6xxx
-Install ML with ati removing the ATI6000Controller.kext from USB - Result: VGA Is recognized as 3M or something like this
-When step 2, using KextBeast to restore the ATI6000Controller.kext - Result: VGA is recognized as ATI 6xxx
-When step 2, using KextBeast to restore the ATI6000Controller.kext with a version that is posted on this thread (not the original from pendrive) - Result: VGA Is recognized as 3M or something like this

¿How can I make the card be recognized correctly, as ATI 6870???

When I didn't modify the USB installer is when I were able to install multibeast, but after removing the ATI6000Controller.kext from it Multibeast fails its installation, no matter if I've install the kext again with KextBeast.

Could you help me someway, please???

Thanks

EDIT: I'm with this problem here

Hmmm try a couple things
Boot in safe mode (-x) and see if you can install from multibeast if this doesn't work - then How much ram are you using? It sounds like some of your RAM may be corrupted. Try removing all but one Ram stick

Do you know what frame buffer your card uses? Did you try to boot ATIConfig=.....? Google ATI framebuffers for your card names like Pithecea, Bulrushes, etc, etc....

And it's very weird, becouse It worked first time. Then I modified the installer USB drive deleting que ATI6000 kext, and when I did that, I were not able to install multibeast. Then I renamed the copy of the file that i made in the original folder to its original name, and reinstalled, but apparently it's like i would not have made the restore. When I install ML now it recognizes the card as "Screen 3 Mb" instead of "Ati 6xxx", and as I told, Multibeast can't be installed.

Now I've try to install multibeast booting with "GraphicsEnabler=No -x" and the result is the same, impossible to install.

I want to create again the USB drive, but i can't until tuesday, since I've not here que original ML installer.

I've reading something about adding my card's ID to some file to make it recognized as 6870, but I don't know how to know this ID, and I don't know where to add it. In reference to frame buffers I've google "Sapphire 6870-1G-2FAN-OC framebuffers" but i find nothing.....

I'm relly thinking that best idea is going to be waiting to have the re-built USB drive since at the beggining at least I was able to install multibeast (althoung system didn't boot after this).

I've not try to remove any ram (I've 4x8gb Gskill) since it's under the heatsink and is very difficult to, It takes me a lot of time to doing, and the truth is I've made Memtests and everything goes perfect, and Windows 7 run incredibly fast with no problems at all. Of course, if I have to, I'll try, but I prefer trying first with re-making the USB drive with Unibeast.

Thanks a lot

Ok try ATIConfig=Duckweed as a bootflag. Once you are loaded, try to open the DVD player program. If it responds then you have the correct FrameBuffer loaded and can add that key/string to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist in Extra folder.

The file you inject the device ID into is a DSDT.aml, if you are using UEFI Bios though you really do not need it - except for instances like this. Do you know how to extract a DSDT and manually patch it using DSDT editor? If not, go here: http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?t=35559 to get the low down on that (thanks to samisnake). It may end up being your best bet.

Hi all,

I'm unable to make Mountain Lion work on my z68XP-UD3, and... I'm using the integrated HD3000. I want this thread to help me to solve my problem, and at the same time, it cold be a reference thread for people with my same motherboard and UEFI bios.

So, since I'm in a point in with I can't go on, I think I have to take it easy, deep breath, keep in mind the steps I've made, start again looking for existent threads in this forum talking about it, and rely on the knowledge and experience of the forum's members to help me.

I have to thank wildwillow for his interest and help in this thread, and also jbalint88 in this one.

To the moment I have:

-Upgrade bios to UEFI bios v. U1g. there is a guide to do so: LINK
If someone wants to back from UEFI to old bios, I've do it, it's possible, so tell me and I'll look for the info and help.

-Install Mountain Lion using integrated HD3000 (removing HD6870). I can install it and reach desktop.

-If I install Multibeast, by simply installing "UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation". Since DSDT is not needed with UEFI bios, I don't place any on the desktop.

-When I restart after installing multibeast I'm unable to book, computer freezes on white screen with apple logo.

Trying to solve this:
-I tryed to use boot loader -v, the result is that after 2 o 3 complete screens with text, stops here (click to enlarge):

-When booting on safe mode (boot loader '-x') I can boot.
-I tried to install FakeSMC with multibeast (nothing changed).
-I tryed to follow the advice from wildwillow: Post 290 but I could do nothing since I did't found the file. I explain here
-I tryed to install with kextbeast the kext AppleACPIPlatform.kext wildwillow adviced me to install with no result....

So I'm still unable to make ML works, and this, without HD6870!!.

I've seen yesterday a new version of Multibeast appeared, so I'll try this. Another question is the installer I've is from ML 10.8.0, should I try to make the bootable USB installer with a newer version?.

The settings on Multibeast I firstly tryed to use were those ones, adviced to me by a forum mate (click to enlarge):

From this point (and also before) I really thank any kind of help and advices.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back