Contribute
Register

Z68X-UD4-B3, upgrading from 10.7.2 to 10.8.1 - no sound, or video (ATi)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Inspiron 7559
CPU
i7-6700HQ
Graphics
960M, 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
*SOLVED* Z68X-UD4-B3, upgrading from 10.7.2 to 10.8.1 - no sound, or video (ATi)

Specs:

Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3 (F9 BIOS)
16GB RAM (Vengeance, DDE3-1600, 4x4GB)
Intel i7-2600k
Seagate 2TB drive
Gigabyte ATi 6870 video
---

Howdy. Earlier today I used DriveGenius to copy my Lion install to a new HD.

That worked perfectly.

I then used Unibeast after making a 8GB partition on the new drive. I installed over the 10.7.2 install. Granted, due to Unibeast showing a blank white screen I tried deleting the ATI6000 controller kext, but that did not work. I swapped to my old nVidia 550ti video card to do the install.

After the final reboot, there was no video after putting back the ATi 6870 card. :( Video worked with the 550 card, but running Multibeast 5 only had nVidia support... I know of kextbeast but have yet to find 6000 series kexts...

Also, there is no sound. Rerunning Multibeast for 889 support did not reveal results. :(

Should I do a full reinstall, on a blank HDD? With both ATi and nVidia video cards installed so Multibeast sees everything?

I am re-copying the old HDD over to the new one, so I can continue working until I get my ducks in a row properly...

Thanks!

Update:

Installed Unibeast and copied ATI 6000 kext to desktop for later use with KextBeast...

Then made partition for xMove.

Shut down.

Installed my old nVidia 550 card.

Rebooted, installing ML via xMove, running KextBeast afterward, ran multibeast to restore 889 audio driver (sans DSDT)...

then powered off. After replacing the original 6870 video card and power backed up... 10.8.1 is running well so far.

NOTES:

* Desktop HDD icons have a new look (yellow, nondescript 'external chassis' appearance), or something unusual happened and their appearance is changed - am looking at options to change the icons back to what they were

* Little Snitch does not work (am aware of the new version to come out that will have ML support)

* had to re-enter Office 2011 key

* Parallels 8 reports not to turn off VM while in use, and said something about a change of file location... uh, okey dokey...

Everything else seems fine.

Well, not so fine. :(

I put the computer into sleep mode last night.

This AM, when I woke up, the computer was on but the screen was black. A hard power off then reboot showed a corrupt BIOS was found and repaired.

I'll see if "Wake on LAN" is disabled, but otherwise I don't know why it'd wake up. This problem never happened with Lion, but given the overall improvements between both OSes, I'll likely keep ML and not use sleep mode...

I should try F10 BIOS (I'm at F9)...

If anyone else has had the same problem, please chime in. Otherwise I'll add updates to this post after a few days with results either way... Thanks!

You need to apply AppleRTC.kext fix to correct it:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel; sudo kextcache -system-caches

------------
When you at it it may be good idea to fix potential boot issue on this board and ML (waiting for root ...):

kext_dir=/System/Library/Extensions
cd $kext_dir/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS
sudo mv IOAHCIBlockStorage IOAHCIBlockStorage.orig
sudo cp IOAHCIBlockStorage.orig IOAHCIBlockStorage
#patch relocation table for our patch point - kprintf() -> IOSleep()
sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\xeb\x4c\x00\x00\xea\x03|\xeb\x4c\x00\x00\xe8\x01|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage
#Make unconditional call to IOSleep(200) at beginning of kext
sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x0e\x48\x8d\x3d\xa5\x90\x00\x00|\xbf\xc8\x00\x00\x00\x90\x90\x90\x90|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage
sudo touch $kext_dir

---------------
And, if you have SSD you could enable Trim:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00{1,20})[^\x00]{9}(\x00{1,20}\x4D)|$1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00$2|sg' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

You should be set by now...

Could you do me a favor and run this utility on your 6870 card?
Check support for H264 acceleration with this utility? VDADecoderCheck (https://github.com/cylonbrain/VDADecoderCheck)
and post the result. You need to run in in terminal window, same one you used to enter commands above...

Thanks

You need to apply AppleRTC.kext fix to correct it:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel; sudo kextcache -system-caches

------------
When you at it it may be good idea to fix potential boot issue on this board and ML (waiting for root ...):

kext_dir=/System/Library/Extensions
cd $kext_dir/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS
sudo mv IOAHCIBlockStorage IOAHCIBlockStorage.orig
sudo cp IOAHCIBlockStorage.orig IOAHCIBlockStorage
#patch relocation table for our patch point - kprintf() -> IOSleep()
sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\xeb\x4c\x00\x00\xea\x03|\xeb\x4c\x00\x00\xe8\x01|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage
#Make unconditional call to IOSleep(200) at beginning of kext
sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x0e\x48\x8d\x3d\xa5\x90\x00\x00|\xbf\xc8\x00\x00\x00\x90\x90\x90\x90|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage
sudo touch $kext_dir

---------------
And, if you have SSD you could enable Trim:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00{1,20})[^\x00]{9}(\x00{1,20}\x4D)|$1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00$2|sg' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

You should be set by now...

Could you do me a favor and run this utility on your 6870 card?
Check support for H264 acceleration with this utility? VDADecoderCheck (https://github.com/cylonbrain/VDADecoderCheck)
and post the result. You need to run in in terminal window, same one you used to enter commands above...

Thanks

Thanks much!!

Sleep mode is perfect now.

I did downooad the VDADecoderCheck project file, but typing "project.pbxproj" in the terminal window resulted in:

$ sudo perl project.pbxproj

Bareword found where operator expected at project.pbxproj line 9, near "<title>VDADecoderCheck"
(Missing operator before VDADecoderCheck?)
syntax error at project.pbxproj line 5, near "html>"
Unrecognized character \xC2; marked by <-- HERE after at master <-- HERE near column 86 at project.pbxproj line 9.

I don't think that's the output you were expecting, and I'm not familiar with Perl right now... :(

Thanks much!!

Sleep mode is perfect now.

I did downooad the VDADecoderCheck project file, but typing "project.pbxproj" in the terminal window resulted in:

$ sudo perl project.pbxproj

Bareword found where operator expected at project.pbxproj line 9, near "<title>VDADecoderCheck"
(Missing operator before VDADecoderCheck?)
syntax error at project.pbxproj line 5, near "html>"
Unrecognized character \xC2; marked by <-- HERE after at master <-- HERE near column 86 at project.pbxproj line 9.

I don't think that's the output you were expecting, and I'm not familiar with Perl right now... :(

Sorry, you just need to download the binary utility (app):
VDADecoderChecker Binary - Download precompiled binary (Intel 32/64-Bit): from https://github.com/downloads/cylonbrain/VDADecoderCheck/VDADecoderChecker
Although, the link seems to be broken...

I attached the zip with binary.

Attachments

• VDADecoderCheck.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 66
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back