Contribute
Register

Z68 UEFI Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System/Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
GTX 460
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys, I did a search and didn't come up with much as far as this goes since the official UEFI is fairly new.

About 2 days ago I decided to take the plunge and update my Z68X-UD3H-B3 board from BIOS to UEFI since it was out of the beta stage, and honestly everything went quite smoothly, except for one thing in particular, and that's what I assume are video issues.

I've been running the system and it's been fairly stable. Prior to the upgrade I made sure to remove my DSDT.aml from my Extra folder and rename it as a backup. After the upgrade I lost audio on boot, but installing the non-DSDT HDA kext and running the repair tool resolved that quickly. Now my problem is that I have instabilities with my video performance or possibly the CPU, not sure at the moment since I read that there were overclocking instabilities with the beta version and my system overclocked. I've not had a chance to run Xbench or Geekbench tests, but I plan to ASAP once I get home this evening and I'll also check the logs.

Basically, my video will just block up at random times in the middle of non-strenuous and strenuous tasks alike, which then results to it force logging me out. Once I log back in, all is fine until it'll randomly occur again, which at this point hasn't shown any kind of trend and also doesn't happen but maybe once a day. I've also noticed that when doing something simple such as grabbing and dragging my Finder window it seems to be a bit choppy at first then smooths out.

My build specs are below, but if anyone else has experienced this issue or can point me in the direction of another thread for troubleshooting, it'd be greatly appreciated. If another thread exists, I apologize and I'll be sure to delete mine.

Thanks!

Lion 10.7.4
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 (rev 1.3) running UEFI U1h (official)
PNY GTX 460
i5 2500k overclocked to 3.9GHz
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD (OS X)
Seagate Barracuda HDD (Win OS)
WD Caviar HDD (Data Backup/Time Machine)

Oh okay! That was my mistake, I thought they were at the official release and out of the beta stages. Thanks a lot for the quick reply and I'll keep experimenting, if you have any suggestions for the issue I've got it'd be much appreciated. It may just be machine specific and it might be in my best interest I guess to maybe just try a clean slate with a re-image.

The only thing I've see some people do on here that I didn't try was checking UserDSDT and just making sure there wasn't a DSDT present on my drive for it to pickup. Does that actually help anything?

Thanks and take care.

I've done the same on a Z68X-UD3H-B3 (inluding removing the dsdt and installing dsdt-less sound) and it's been solid so far. Cinebench did not reveal performance gains.

Thanks for the reply.

Would you mind posting your steps and possibly a SS of your MultiBeast settings used? My setup is running pretty strong and I've not noticed this instability much, but it does happen from time to time when before it never occurred at all on the BIOS setup.

Thanks!

Just an update for anyone who's interested. I decided go ahead and make the transition to Mountain Lion with my newly UEFI flashed CMOS chip.

I must say, it's by far the absolute best my machine has ran since I started working on my Hackintosh. Boot time is cut in half, everything loads much quicker as far as normal application boot times for things such as Logic Pro, Safari, CS5, etc. I will be running some Geekbench tests this evening to compare the numbers with my Lion installation beforehand and post the results later. Only thing I'm still working to resolve is what everyone is working to resolve these days, USB3.0 and also getting my sleep function to work correctly.

Needless to say, I'm extremely pleased with this new setup.

Endless thanks to the tonymacx86 crew!

Z68 panic

Just an update for anyone who's interested. I decided go ahead and make the transition to Mountain Lion with my newly UEFI flashed CMOS chip.

I must say, it's by far the absolute best my machine has ran since I started working on my Hackintosh. Boot time is cut in half, everything loads much quicker as far as normal application boot times for things such as Logic Pro, Safari, CS5, etc. I will be running some Geekbench tests this evening to compare the numbers with my Lion installation beforehand and post the results later. Only thing I'm still working to resolve is what everyone is working to resolve these days, USB3.0 and also getting my sleep function to work correctly.

Needless to say, I'm extremely pleased with this new setup.

Endless thanks to the tonymacx86 crew!

I envy you guys that have it figured out. This is my second day at it and I seem to get 10 steps ahead and then backward. After a few struggles, (3 installations and reinstallation's) I actually got it running. I had video and sound problems. The video would start playing and then stop after 10-13 seconds. youtube, yahoo; name it and it would not work. The sound did not work at all. I am told the integrated on my board Z68x-ud3h-b3 will not work as I need sound card of which a Syba
SD-PEX63034 7.1 PCI-E Sound Card would make things really easy so i am hoping to go pick that up. Then I installed iWork and other few applications and when I reboot this time, I get this screen with "panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff80002c473a): kernel trap at 0xffffff7f81b9fb71, type 13=general protection, registers:" and so much more info. Now I would hate to redo the whole process again. Have any of you guys gone thru this? I would appreciate any cents thanks

I envy you guys that have it figured out. This is my second day at it and I seem to get 10 steps ahead and then backward. After a few struggles, (3 installations and reinstallation's) I actually got it running. I had video and sound problems. The video would start playing and then stop after 10-13 seconds. youtube, yahoo; name it and it would not work. The sound did not work at all. I am told the integrated on my board Z68x-ud3h-b3 will not work as I need sound card of which a Syba
SD-PEX63034 7.1 PCI-E Sound Card would make things really easy so i am hoping to go pick that up. Then I installed iWork and other few applications and when I reboot this time, I get this screen with "panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff80002c473a): kernel trap at 0xffffff7f81b9fb71, type 13=general protection, registers:" and so much more info. Now I would hate to redo the whole process again. Have any of you guys gone thru this? I would appreciate any cents thanks

I'm sorry to hear that you're having so many issues from your machine. We all go through it at some point unfortunately. Can you post all of your specs? I'm using the same Z68X-UD3H-B3 and my onboard audio works perfectly fine after installing the ALC889 kext and give it a restart. I normally will still run KextUtility to be on the safe side before restarting since MultiBeast doesn't have a Repair Permissions option anymore, as I imagine it's just an unnecassary steup with the advances the tonymacx86 team has made.

Also, are you overclocking? Using a SSD to resolve the speedstepping issues with ML? Any and all info will be very helpful.

Hey guys, I'd love to know how you updated your bios to UEFI, I've got a Z68XP-UD3, and I keep getting an ID error when I download the file and try to update off my flash drive.

An ID error? Can you post the error or maybe a screenshot? I just followed the normal procedure step-by-step posted here on the tonymacx86 site for updating to UEFI.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/123-how-upgrade-bios-uefi-gigabyte-s-6-series-motherboards.html

Only thing I did different, which is stated to do in the guide if possible, was I used my Windows partition for preparing the USB stick and extracting the actual update from the EXE download from Gigabyte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back