CPU
Dual X5675
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 1060 3gb
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hey there new to the forums and building computers in general. Long time Mac user and music producer, but never really delved too deep into the technical side of things until recently. I already have a MacBook Pro late 2014 2.2 GHz. The point of this build is to have something stationary in the studio that is not super expensive, fun to build, but still powerful enough to make bass music. I run Ableton Live 10 w/ Komplete and Serum, with some pretty complex grouping/ routing/ effects chains and tend to always push my system to the limit, regardless of what I am using. I really just have some questions about suggestions for some of the hardware, and figured you guys might be able to help me save myself some headache. Oh I plan on building the case myself out of wood and glass.

That being said, I'm starting a build using a Z600 C2 motherboard I scooped up for around $50, and two Xeon X5672 processors I picked up for about $50 total as well.

So far I have also picked up the stock Power Switch Cable, HDD Cable, ODD Power Cable, and CPU/Memory Power Cable, and the 661320-001 HP PCIe USB 3.0 expansion card.

I will likely start with 24GB (3x8) DDR3 10600 RAM from cloudninjas and upgrade to the full 48 if need be. I have never had a system with more than 16GB, so am unaware if the extra 24GB of RAM will even be noticeable or helpful for performance in Ableton, or if I should just save my money.

Graphics are not really important to me. I do not game. It would be nice to have the option to do some light video editing, but as of now I do not have any immediate plans for that. I do, however, have a pair of some old VGA monitors, so an inexpensive GPU that could support dual VGA monitors and fits on the board would be ideal. I already know from researching on here that Nvidia K1200 4GB will work, but if there is a less expensive option that would be better.

I would like to have either a 128GB or 256GB SSD and a 1-2 TB regular SATA HD, but have not yet researched what is compatible, so any suggestions on those would be very helpful!

Also I need some guidance for cheap/quiet heatsinks that will fit on the board and not interfere with the RAM, as well as suggested front and back airflow fans.

Lastly, and possibly most importantly, I need guidance on my sound card. Ideally it would be nice to have a PCIe or PCI sound card installed, get the most bang for my buck speed wise, but I have not been able to find any solid and recent information on whether any of the lower end (like the esi maya44 or m-audio Delta 66) with be compatible on High Sierra or Mojave and their compatibility with the board. So any suggestions there either on a PCIe/PCI card that will fit on my build and work, or whether I should trash and idea and roll with a USB 3.0 interface, would be greatly appreciated.

In summary, I am hoping for suggestions for my Z600 build for:
- Sound card (PCI, PCIe, external?)
- GPU (graphics not important, dual VGA would be ideal)
- SSD and HDD
- RAM (24GB or 48GB)
- Heatsinks/ fans

Thank you so much in advance!!

Motherboard
HP Z600 C2
CPU
Dual X5675
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 1060 3gb
Mac
MacBook Pro