Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

Just realized your board has Thunderbolt 4 (Maple Ridge), hence nothing further is needed. We can ignore the System Information --> Thunderbolt/USB4 section. Just refer to System Information --> PCI instead. But of course the real test is whether Thunderbolt devices connect and function. If they do, nothing else really matters.
Hi Casey, that was very illuminating. I picked up an open box Asus Z590i Gaming Wifi board from Newegg and have been attempting (quite unsuccessfully) to get Hot Plug working for the onboard Maple Ridge Thunderbolt controller. I've read it may be possible and so was searching in IORegistryExplorer for the ACPI path and coming up empty.

But, per your post, lo and behold in the System Report under PCI it shows! If I have a device plugged in at start up it works great but that's the extent of it of course. Be nice to be able to get Hot Plug working. Is creating an SSDT to do that even possible? Appreciate any thoughts or direction you can share.

System Report PCI.png
?

Hi Casey, that was very illuminating. I picked up an open box Asus Z590i Gaming Wifi board from Newegg and have been attempting (quite unsuccessfully) to get Hot Plug working for the onboard Maple Ridge Thunderbolt controller. I've read it may be possible and so was searching in IORegistryExplorer for the ACPI path and coming up empty.

But, per your post, lo and behold in the System Report under PCI it shows! If I have a device plugged in at start up it works great but that's the extent of it of course. Be nice to be able to get Hot Plug working. Is creating an SSDT to do that even possible? Appreciate any thoughts or direction you can share.

View attachment 529940?
We can certainly try. Two things needed to get started:
  1. System DSDT.
  2. Screenshot of IORegistryExplorer showing the Thunderbolt device tree in the left pane.

We can certainly try. Two things needed to get started:
  1. System DSDT.
  2. Screenshot of IORegistryExplorer showing the Thunderbolt device tree in the left pane.
Okay, the DSDT wouldn't compile without some work on it first but here is the uncompiled file and the IOreg Screen shot, hopefully this is what you need to help.

Asus z590i Maple Ridge IOReg Screen Shot.png

Attachments

• Asus Z590i DSDT.dsl
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
Okay, the DSDT wouldn't compile without some work on it first but here is the uncompiled file and the IOreg Screen shot, hopefully this is what you need to help.

View attachment 529954
@Leesureone,

Please try the attached files by copying them to EFI/OC/ACPI folder and adding references to ACPI section of config.plist:
  • SSDT-TB3HP-JHL8540-ASUS-Z590i.aml
    • Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
    • This is a helper SSDT
After rebooting, let's take another look at the same RP21 section of IOReg.

Attachments

1.6 KB · Views: 43
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 50
@Leesureone,

Please try the attached files by copying them to EFI/OC/ACPI folder and adding references to ACPI section of config.plist:
    • Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
    • This is a helper SSDT
After rebooting, let's take another look at the same RP21 section of IOReg.
Thanks Casey, here's what is showing now:
Asus Z590i w: SSDTs IOReg Screen Shot.png

Oh yes, that pesky HRUS device is holding us up. Let's zap it with the attached revision.
You sir are a bloody genius, hot plug is now working! :headbang: I cannot thank you enough! I'll update my Z590i build description in the forum/build section and give credit for it where credit is due. Well done!

You sir are a bloody genius, hot plug is now working! :headbang: I cannot thank you enough! I'll update my Z590i build description in the forum/build section and give credit for it where credit is due. Well done!
Glad to hear it!

My Hack has been running great for the past week and again, and thanks again to those on here who helped. The last remaining detail I haven't solved is to use the iGPU in a headless config, for hardware acceleration. I've entered Dortania's suggested Platform ID for Comet Lake (see attached screenshot) in OC DeviceProperties, and have made changes in BIOS (PEG primary, iGPU Multi-monitor), but nothing is showing in Mac System Info or in VidProc (see attached screenshots). Any suggestions?
Buddyjack2,

That setting is highly dependent also on your SMBIOS settings, likely iMacPro1,1. As for the IGPU settings you can also check my Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Xtreme build with i5 Comet Lake chip for more info on the device-id and Emulate CPUID info I used >

Back