Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

Try changing Thunderbolt Boot Support to Boot Once (or something very similar to this).

View attachment 529407
The only option was changing it to "Enabled," which I did, and that brought the drive right back. Thanks! BTW, SysInfo still says "No hardware was found," not "no drivers loaded," but the Buffalo drive is mounted and looks good :)

Attachments

• IMG_9803.JPG
    IMG_9803.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 6.57.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 6.57.18 PM.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 43
The only option was changing it to "Enabled," which I did, and that brought the drive right back. Thanks! BTW, SysInfo still says "No hardware was found," not "no drivers loaded," but the Buffalo drive is mounted and looks good :)
Please run IORegistryExplorer, scroll to RP05, and post a screenshot.

Here you go.

Attachments

• IOReg.jpg
    IOReg.jpg
    986.1 KB · Views: 67
Here you go.
Thunderbolt is active, but appears to be half asleep. In particular, there should be a handful of sub-devices under NHI0. Please try:
  • Shutting down the system, flipping power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds, then power back up.
  • Do you now see a few sub-devices under NHI0? Or does it look exactly the same?
IOReg.jpg

Looks the same to me...

Attachments

• IOReg2.jpg
    IOReg2.jpg
    807.8 KB · Views: 59
Looks the same to me...
Just realized your board has Thunderbolt 4 (Maple Ridge), hence nothing further is needed. We can ignore the System Information --> Thunderbolt/USB4 section. Just refer to System Information --> PCI instead. But of course the real test is whether Thunderbolt devices connect and function. If they do, nothing else really matters.

I agree completely… tho for some reason the Buffalo drive is showing up in the SATA section of SysInfo, not the PCI section. It's listed right along with my two internal 3.5” hard drives.

Attachments

• 366BE9A7-7B77-4C93-8A2E-CDB51D586A09.jpeg
    366BE9A7-7B77-4C93-8A2E-CDB51D586A09.jpeg
    518 KB · Views: 51
I agree completely… tho for some reason the Buffalo drive is showing up in the SATA section of SysInfo, not the PCI section. It's listed right along with my two internal 3.5” hard drives.
That is still 100% correct:
  • The Buffalo drive uses a Thunderbolt connection, hence it's attached to RP05.UPSB.DSB3 (Thunderbolt port #2). This confirms that the Buffalo enclosure is connected via Thunderbolt.
  • The Buffalo enclosure uses an internal SATA controller for the SATA hard drives inside.
  • This SATA controller attaches to the computer via Thunderbolt.
  • The hard drives are then attached to the SATA controller.
  • So the hard drives appear in the System Information --> SATA section (exactly as they should).
Remember that Thunderbolt is not a disk drive controller. SATA is a disk drive controller. Thunderbolt is an externalization of the PCIe bus.

In other words, PCIe slots on the motherboard are in effect an internal interface to the PCIe bus. Cards that we install into those slots communicate over PCIe.

But what if we could externalize the same PCIe bus so we aren't forced to use the limited number of PCIe slots and cram the inside of the computer with a lot of cards?

Thunderbolt solves this problem. We can connect devices directly to our PCIe bus without having to install them inside the computer case. Each Thunderbolt port allows up to 6 Thunderbolt devices to be daisy-chained. With 2 Thunderbolt ports you can attach up to 12 external devices to the PCIe bus.

All those devices that you attach to Thunderbolt ports will appear in appropriate sections of System Information. If you connect an external 10GbE Ethernet device, for example, it will appear under System Information --> Ethernet Cards.

That is still 100% correct:
  • The Buffalo drive uses a Thunderbolt connection, hence it's attached to RP05.UPSB.DSB3 (Thunderbolt port #2). This confirms that the Buffalo enclosure is connected via Thunderbolt.
  • The Buffalo enclosure uses an internal SATA controller for the SATA hard drives inside.
  • This SATA controller attaches to the computer via Thunderbolt.
  • The hard drives are then attached to the SATA controller.
  • So the hard drives appear in the System Information --> SATA section (exactly as they should).
Remember that Thunderbolt is not a disk drive controller. SATA is a disk drive controller. Thunderbolt is an externalization of the PCIe bus.

In other words, PCIe slots on the motherboard are in effect an internal interface to the PCIe bus. Cards that we install into those slots communicate over PCIe.

But what if we could externalize the same PCIe bus so we aren't forced to use the limited number of PCIe slots and cram the inside of the computer with a lot of cards?

Thunderbolt solves this problem. We can connect devices directly to our PCIe bus without having to install them inside the computer case. Each Thunderbolt port allows up to 6 Thunderbolt devices to be daisy-chained. With 2 Thunderbolt ports you can attach up to 12 external devices to the PCIe bus.

All those devices that you attach to Thunderbolt ports will appear in appropriate sections of System Information. If you connect an external 10GbE Ethernet device, for example, it will appear under System Information --> Ethernet Cards.
Wow.. thanks so much for the detailed explanation! This whole Hackintosh journey I’ve been on (this is my second rig) for nearly 4 years has taught me so much more about hardware than I ever thought I’d learn (a lot of it from necessity). You and so many others on here have guided and helped people like me thru it all. Cheers to you and your peers, and thanks again for your willingness and patience to explain.

My Hack has been running great for the past week and again, and thanks again to those on here who helped. The last remaining detail I haven't solved is to use the iGPU in a headless config, for hardware acceleration. I've entered Dortania's suggested Platform ID for Comet Lake (see attached screenshot) in OC DeviceProperties, and have made changes in BIOS (PEG primary, iGPU Multi-monitor), but nothing is showing in Mac System Info or in VidProc (see attached screenshots). Any suggestions?

Attachments

• DevProp.jpg
    DevProp.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 76
  • SysInfo.jpg
    SysInfo.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 81
  • VidProcConvt.jpg
    VidProcConvt.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 64
Back