Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

I moved ahead with 11.4 update and ran into system hanging during late stage of update, requiring force restart. After a couple of resets it crashed shortly after reaching the 11.4 desktop.

I noted that LAN adapter was not being logged at the usual time during boot, but system didn't last long enough before crashing for me to discover that ethernet was not working. Crash logs showed Little Snitch (firewall) kext bombing.

Happily, on the main page for 11.4 status, the mod brought up that the i225_V renamer patch (it's known as vit9696 binary patch) no longer works with 11.4 due to—possibly—changes coming in a subsequent release to add support for this controller.

The binary patch was mentioned here a a month ago as a simpler (and therefore better) alternative to the FakePCIID patch. It relied on renaming __Z18e1000_set_mac_typeP8e1000_hw: F2150000 to F3150000. Live and learn, in hacking world cleaner is not always better :)

The FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V.kext patch still works.

To get your i225_V working under 11.4 (and avoid crashing if you use Little Snitch) you must add the above kexts and disable the OC Kernel Patch.

The discussion is at the following post by @CaseySJ:
"FakePCIID approach is not less efficient".
I ran into the same issue but couldn't unbreak my install even after disabling the patch. I did switch over to the kexts since the patch doesn't work on 11.4, but I had to disable my GT 710 and update.

I'm going to retest with the GT 710 now that 11.4 is installed and working.

EDIT: Seems to be working now. My install might have gotten botched enough that even switching to the FakePCIID kexts didn't undo the damage after the fact.

Last edited:
I ran into the same issue but couldn't unbreak my install even after disabling the patch. I did switch over to the kexts since the patch doesn't work on 11.4, but I had to disable my GT 710 and update.

I'm going to retest with the GT 710 now that 11.4 is installed and working.

EDIT: Seems to be working now. My install might have gotten botched enough that even switching to the FakePCIID kexts didn't undo the damage after the fact.

Something I didn't mention before was after my issue, the first thing that occurred to me was age-old problems with Apple incremental updaters, so I make a full installer and ran that, which completed without problems, but I reiably got a panic a few seconds after reaching the desktop. I booted into a working build and looked at crash logs and saw that Little Snitch was bombing and maybe other effects. Then I slept on it and read the point about vit9696 i225 patch, so I switched over to FakePCIID and it came up.

Just a little update from my side: Ive returned the Gigabyte Z590 Vision D in favor of the Asrock Z490 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3! Everything is working for my use case! OWC TB4 Dock is working so the limitation of only 1 TB port does not hinder me. Im a happy camper now!

Oh and TB Hotplug is working flawlessly!

View attachment 519653

All up and running within 2 hours, board swapping and all!!
Who would have guessed that Asrock has taken the throne as a very Hackingtoshable mobo from Gigabyte!
Good! Too bad z590 didn’t work out for you. But you have to do what you have to do.

Something I didn't mention before was after my issue, the first thing that occurred to me was age-old problems with Apple incremental updaters, so I make a full installer and ran that, which completed without problems, but I reiably got a panic a few seconds after reaching the desktop. I booted into a working build and looked at crash logs and saw that Little Snitch was bombing and maybe other effects. Then I slept on it and read the point about vit9696 i225 patch, so I switched over to FakePCIID and it came up.

And make sure you have the needed i225_V device properties for the Fake_PCIID approach.

Good! Too bad z590 didn’t work out for you. But you have to do what you have to do.
Thanks.. it didnt work out for you too right? :)

Thanks.. it didnt work out for you too right? :)
I still have it. I’m working with Gigabyte behind the scenes. A new Maple Ridge NVM update is available and is coming. And a new BIOS that enables kernel DMA protection for Maple Ridge.

Hotplugging is working great in Windows and Linux, but not macOS directly (hotplug in macOS only works for me after resume from s3 sleep).

But I don’t hotplug my Thunderbolt devices in macOS, so while the Titan Ridge hotplugging experience (as in your case with the ASRock) is preferable, it’s not that big a deal for me. The hotplug SSDT loaded for me from day one.

I’m using an OWC Thunderbolt 4 dock, and I love this thing. Hooked up to it I have a NVMe (Western Digital SN750) in a Thunderbolt NVMe enclosure, as well as a Caldigit 10Gbps Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter hooked up to my 10Gbps switch, and a USB-c monitor. My other Thunderbolt port on the motherboard has another Thunderbolt dock with all sorts of stuff hooked up to it.

The main requirement for me is for my Thunderbolt devices to continue to remain connected during s3 sleep, and resume from sleep. And they do, so no major issues with me.

I was also going to send back the Vision D Z590, I was irate at first. I expected hotplugging support out of the box, as with Z490 Titan Ridge and on a Mac. But I’ve calmed down. In my experience, it handles Rocket Lake better than Z490… I got higher multicore scores, and better performance under load. Probably an extra 7-10 percent. But that could be because I was using a beta BIOS with Rocket Lake onZz490. I haven’t tried the release F20 BIOS.

My system has been stable for weeks, so I’m good. The main reason why I didn’t get the Asus HERO XIII is because as far as I could tell, it doesn’t have a DisplayPort input, unlike the Vision D. So I wouldn’t have been able to tunnel my 6800 XT’s video output to my USB-c monitor via Thunderbolt. But I can on the Vision D.

Last edited:
How about iMac20,1 ? That's what I used with z490 and Comet Lake and the iGPU worked beautifully... both in headless mode as well as the primary GPU. But to use it as the primary GPU, I had to increase DVMT preallocated memory to 96 MB otherwise the system would crash (for 64 MB or 32 MB). Sleep even worked. I only used the iGPU because MacOS 11.0 to 11.3 did not work with my 6800XT.

I haven't tried activating the Comet Lake iGPU framebuffer with z590.

And regarding your point about the Age of Hackintosh probably fading away, I second that. What Apple has done with M1 is amazing, and it serves as a disincentive to the desire or even need of building a Hack.

I saw the new M1 iMacs in the Apple store the other day, I saw the excitement on people's faces, I saw how sleek they look and how beautiful the 4.5K screens look, and thought to myself, am I really going to continue building hacks indefinitely, or am I just going to get a high-performant Apple Silicon mac and call it a day? I like the Hack scene because I'm a tinkerer at heart, i've been tinkering since the 90's. I also like the ability to run Windows/Linux/MacOS on the same box, but unless Intel delivers the performance with Alder Lake/Raptor Lake/Meteor Lake/Lunar Lake there will be little point in me continuing to build a hack anymore. Look at the problems we've had with thunderbolt hotplugging on z590... and the beta bioses from Gigabyte or Asus with their quirks. Whereas macs work well out of the box with no major problems or issues for the most part.

Hackintosh was fun while it lasted, it's been years since I've been doing this, but moving forward, I think I am going to retire in a few years, and I will just build a mini-ITX build to game on in windows, and hook up an ultra-performance Apple Silicon macbook pro (m2 or m3) to my thunderbolt dock and monitors, and just call it a day... I'm waiting to see what happens with Zen4 and Alder/Raptor Lake... but I'm definitely getting a new m2 macbook pro for sure if it drops later this year. No question about it.
Whilst the M1 Macs are great for portables like Macbook Air and iPad Pros, it's still not ideal for users like myself who still need that extra bit of raw performance and prefer to use a dGPU for work - and let's not forget M1 still doesn't have any Thunderbolt eGPU support. That said I do think hackintosh still has a few years yet and think the next generation of Intel and AMD chips that are coming are going to be quite amazing. I for one cannot imagine what kind of performance we'd be getting with say Sapphire Rapids on macOS.

Whilst the M1 Macs are great for portables like Macbook Air and iPad Pros, it's still not ideal for users like myself who still need that extra bit of raw performance and prefer to use a dGPU for work - and let's not forget M1 still doesn't have any Thunderbolt eGPU support. That said I do think hackintosh still has a few years yet and think the next generation of Intel and AMD chips that are coming are going to be quite amazing. I for one cannot imagine what kind of performance we'd be getting with say Sapphire Rapids on macOS.
Agreed. Fair points all around, especially with dgpu support. I wonder how many future generations of Radeon will be supported?

Sapphire Rapids seems to be a beast. Intel is slowly coming back, it appears. They also announced this week that they taped in their Meteor Lake 7 nm compute tile. And of course AMD is crushing it too.

Looking forward to the next generation of x86! So long as there’s an x86 build of macOS, I have complete faith that the hackintosh community will find a way.

Hey, great summary @dehjomz ! Ive been a loyal Gigabyte user for more than 10 years, but since of late... my AMD builds which consist of Gigabyte B550 Vision D and Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3.
The Vision D is a nice looking board and has very nice features, however the TB3 on the Asrock is more reliable.
The Vision D is finicky when connecting my UAD Apollo, sometimes it connects and sometimes it doesnt. On the Asrock however, my UAD units would just connect upon boot. It does hotplug with the correct SSDT, but the computer wouldnt shutoff if that SSDT is present.
I too am using the OWC TB4 hub and its great since both the Asrocks X570 and Z490 only has 1 TB port.

Thanks to @SchmockLord19 for the guide in getting my Asrock z490 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 up and running in no time. I supposed @SchmockLord19 couldnt have done it without @CaseySJ :)

However, there are a few missing points as stated below to get HDMI/DP Audio.

1622108041370.png

1622108508053.png

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back