Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

I have good contact. I have a direct email and phone number for him. This is our local Gigabyte service technician. Pass the problems to Taiwan.
Hi ori69, Can you also pass on the following please:

Z590 Vision D - F5a BIOS
  • Thunderbolt hotplug is broken
  • Thunderbolt settings in the BIOS are broken, if you disable thunderbolt controller in the bios, then thunderbolt settings DISAPPEAR completely from the BIOS, and can only be reenabled if CMOS reset or load optimized defaults.

Z490 Vision D - F20d BIOS
  • XMP is broken with Rocket Lake with Corsair Dominator 3200 Mhz. Can only boot up to 2666 Mhz. Same memory works with XMP on with Comet Lake in same motherboard and same BIOS.

Yes of course if you already have a dGPU. Only concern would be those who bought it and just wanted to run iGPU, which could potentially mean tens or hundreds of thousands of users.

That's good to hear! If so maybe you could pass on my findings to him. I'm running a Z490 Aorus Xtreme 1.0 board at the moment and I'm running into two main issues. I use Thermaltake's Toughram RGB 2x8GB and my system refuses to accept the XMP profile for it which is set at 3600Mhz. I have to bring it down to 3200Mhz to work, otherwise it won't boot. Second issue is the Gigabyte Windows firmware update app is terrible. Their app showed only the F8 firmware as available on their servers when in fact the F20d was the latest one. That's why I experienced stop-start issues on the board when I replaced my i5 10500 with the i9 11900K (because I didn't know F20d was released and thought F8 was latest).
Yes I second this. Gigabyte's Windows firmware update app is really bad. I recommend to flashback as the Windows updater doesn't properly copy the BIOS/settings.

Well if you use rocket lake in windows then you can use the Xe UHD 750 iGPU, but if you're going to use hackintosh then until Apple releases a driver (probably never), you're going to have to use the 5700XT. I'm not an expert in how the UHD630 graphics of the 10850K compares to that of the 5700XT for adobe, premiere/handbrake... I'm sure you can find some benchmarks online to help you make a decision. But if you can get the 10850K at a reasonable price, I think it's a good chip.
I actually already have the 5700 XT (and a regular 5700). Wouldn't I not be missing anything anyway without the iGPU or is it still used for anything even with a 5700 XT? I don't think ive noticed any issues with my current setup with my igpu disabled...

Second issue is the Gigabyte Windows firmware update app is terrible. Their app showed only the F8 firmware as available on their servers when in fact the F20d was the latest one. That's why I experienced stop-start issues on the board when I replaced my i5 10500 with the i9 11900K (because I didn't know F20d was released and thought F8 was latest).
I will never use Gigabyte's BIOS update app in Windows myself. I checked the BIOS updates on the Gigabyte website myself and used the Q-Flash utility inside the BIOS to update BIOS if necessary. I believe that is the most reliable way to update BIOS on Gigabyte motherboards.

I had tried to use Gigabyte's BIOS update app (@BIOS) once before, and it locked up in Windows without completing its job causing a boot loop. (Luckily I was able to resolve the issue using the backup BIOS.) After that, I vowed never to use it again as a failed BIOS update can brick a motherboard and updating in Windows can expose the procedure to undesirable interference which can cause it to fail.

I actually already have the 5700 XT (and a regular 5700). Wouldn't I not be missing anything anyway without the iGPU or is it still used for anything even with a 5700 XT? I don't think ive noticed any issues with my current setup with my igpu disabled...
Well you probably won't notice it yet, but without the iGPU available you might get a performance degradation on some functions like HEVC or H264 when you're converting videos or files as Intel Quicksync is disabled. If you have the 5700, you could try this using VideoProc for Mac and go to the options section to see if the HEVC function has been enabled.

I will never use Gigabyte's BIOS update app in Windows myself. I checked the BIOS updates on the Gigabyte website myself and used the Q-Flash utility inside the BIOS to update BIOS if necessary. I believe that is the most reliable way to update BIOS on Gigabyte motherboards.

I had tried to use Gigabyte's BIOS update app (@BIOS) once before and it locked up in Windows without completing its job causing a boot loop (luckily I was able to resolve the issue using the backup BIOS). After that I vowed never to use it again as a failed BIOS update can brick a motherboard and updating in Windows can expose the procedure to undesirable interference which can cause it to fail.
Thanks yes and I totally agree, the Windows update method is relatively risky I must say. It was a while back that I used the Gigabyte app to do it, but I was surprised at how outdated the versions available on it were. When I swapped my i5 chip out with the i9, the system just couldn't stop shutting itself off and restarting (I thought it was going to break). Thank goodness for the Q-Flash USB update feature, that saved it!

Yes of course if you already have a dGPU. Only concern would be those who bought it and just wanted to run iGPU, which could potentially mean tens or hundreds of thousands of users.

That's good to hear! If so maybe you could pass on my findings to him. I'm running a Z490 Aorus Xtreme 1.0 board at the moment and I'm running into two main issues. I use Thermaltake's Toughram RGB 2x8GB and my system refuses to accept the XMP profile for it which is set at 3600Mhz. I have to bring it down to 3200Mhz to work, otherwise it won't boot. Second issue is the Gigabyte Windows firmware update app is terrible. Their app showed only the F8 firmware as available on their servers when in fact the F20d was the latest one. That's why I experienced stop-start issues on the board when I replaced my i5 10500 with the i9 11900K (because I didn't know F20d was released and thought F8 was latest).

Hi ori69, Can you also pass on the following please:

Z590 Vision D - F5a BIOS
  • Thunderbolt hotplug is broken
  • Thunderbolt settings in the BIOS are broken, if you disable thunderbolt controller in the bios, then thunderbolt settings DISAPPEAR completely from the BIOS, and can only be reenabled if CMOS reset or load optimized defaults.

Z490 Vision D - F20d BIOS
  • XMP is broken with Rocket Lake with Corsair Dominator 3200 Mhz. Can only boot up to 2666 Mhz. Same memory works with XMP on with Comet Lake in same motherboard and same BIOS.

Yes I second this. Gigabyte's windows firmware update app is really bad. I recommend to flashback as the Windows updater doesn't properly copy the BIOS/settings.

I had tried to use Gigabyte's BIOS update app (@BIOS) once before and it locked up in Windows without completing its job causing a boot loop (luckily I was able to resolve the issue using the backup BIOS). After that I vowed never to use it again as a failed BIOS update can brick a motherboard and updating in Windows can expose the procedure to undesirable interference which can cause it to fail.

Done.
In my Z590i Vision D, the @BIOS application freezes the computer completely after launching.

If we keep on one side all the 'snags' with the new board for a moment.
The Botton lines are:
No one knows what Apple will do with its x86 'computers range'.
Will they launch a new x86 Mac (any flavours) anytime soon. If they do may be there will be more 'in house' supports for new chipsets.
Now Why would they do it? Competition produces better spec HW (just have a look at gaming laptops)
I know if I could replace (justify) my old real Macs I would go for the M series and not the x86 series.

We can always play with OC settings, get 'drivers' if possible, patches, etc... and run 'anything' on 'anything' to a point but is it only for:
Yes I can do it.
I go to use it daily for work, productivity, etc...

Friends, Gigabyte just released an F5b for the Z590i Vision D today.

Will test that again :)

Looks like I'll have to take back my words on the Z590...thanks to the efforts of @verancl the iGPU on the new 11th gen DOES WORK in Big Sur!

Attachments

• 11900-iGPU-BigSur.png
    11900-iGPU-BigSur.png
    372.6 KB · Views: 214
Are you sure? To me it looks like the iGPU is in a fallback mode. 14MB?

Back to the Gigabyte Z590i Vision D with F5b:

It still doesn't take the TB4 SSDTs. I think they have focused fixing the PL/Voltage behaviour.

Here are the files again.

Attachments

• bootlog.txt
    355.2 KB · Views: 352
  • DSDT_DTPG+SSDT-TB3HP-JHL8540-GIGABYTE-Z590i-VISION-D_F5b.dsl
    2.3 MB · Views: 62
  • Christopher’s iMac_DTPG+SSDT-TB3HP-JHL8540-GIGABYTE-Z590i-VISION-D_F5b.ioreg
    6.3 MB · Views: 54
Back