Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

Hi! Can ask you......
Can you update macOs and apps through App Store normally with the Rocket Lake CPU 11900K?
App Store works well with Rocket Lake.

If you're having issues with loading the App Store, maybe because you removed your drive from one machine/mobo and placed it into another (or you cloned it).

- First you must have built-in Ethernet at 'en0'. So, you must install drivers for your Ethernet device. It is also possible if you have built-in WiFi at 'en0'.

- If your Ethernet (or WiFi, in the case of no Ethernet) is not at 'en0', try resetting the network interfaces. To do that, go into SysPrefs->Network and remove all interfaces, Apply, then remove /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. Reboot, then add all your network interfaces back, starting with Ethernet.

Once 'en0' is recognized by macOS, you should be able to sign into the App Store. I just had to do this lol.

I have had the same experience with the Gigabyte Z590i Vision D.

I have found out, that Disabling the TVB frequency clipping and setting the CoreCurrent Limit(Amps) with the Core Power Limits to a higher value like 250A helps. But getting a good OC and setting Powerlimits to fit your cooling is working weird right now.

And I couldn't really get a much better result than just loading default settings and then enabling Adaptive Boost Technology. This is what I am using now.

This was my best yet: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/7280853

And this is what XMP+ABT gives me: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/7293848
I wonder if these BIOS issues, and larger power draw of z590 (compared to z490) is what led to the bad reviews of Rocket Lake? I used the same 10700K chip in a z490 Vision D and a MSI z590 ACE, and the same exact chip running at 5.1 Ghz all core @ 1.335 V, the MSI consumed 230W in cinebench vs 160W on the z490 Vision D. +70 more watts to run at the same frequency and voltage and get similar scores in geekbench/cinebench. If Comet Lake had just launched with z590, anyone reviewing Comet Lake for the first time would swear it was a power hungry beast..... yet if you use the very same chip in a different board, it consumes far less power. Something weird is going on.

I hope they figure it out.

Does it really matter if I've got an AMD GPU installed? Wouldn't I be better off with a dGPU anyway?
You technically don't need the iGPU. But if you want quicksync or airplay you need to use the iGPU. But if those things don't matter to you, then a supported AMD gpu is just fine.

My answers in the quoted text in red.
Hi, SchmockLord19!

I want to ask you two things, 1: CaseySJ: asked you in the above post about or you spoofed the CPU ID and you said that you did use one; can you share with me which one worked for you?

2: You also sad "but I will try to leave it out". Re: the CPU ID. Did you leave it out, and did your hackintosh booted without it.

Thanks in advance.

What's Quicksync used for?
Media encoder and decoder.

Intel Quick Sync Video is Intel's brand for its dedicated video encoding and decoding hardware core. ... Unlike video encoding on a CPU or a general-purpose GPU, Quick Sync is a dedicated hardware core on the processor die. This allows for much more power-efficient video processing.

Media encoder and decoder.

Intel Quick Sync Video is Intel's brand for its dedicated video encoding and decoding hardware core. ... Unlike video encoding on a CPU or a general-purpose GPU, Quick Sync is a dedicated hardware core on the processor die. This allows for much more power-efficient video processing.
Crap, I do a ton of Adobe After Effects, Premiere and Handbrake work. Would I be better off with a 10850k + 5700 XT than any Rocket Lake CPU?

Crap, I do a ton of Adobe After Effects, Premiere and Handbrake work. Would I be better off with a 10850k + 5700 XT than any Rocket Lake CPU?
Well, if you use Rocket Lake in Windows, then you can use the Xe UHD 750 iGPU. But, if you're going to use hackintosh, then, until Apple releases a driver (probably never), you're going to have to use the RX 5700 XT. I'm not an expert in how the UHD 630 graphics of the 10850K compares to that of the RX 5700 XT for Adobe, Premiere/Handbrake. I'm sure you can find some benchmarks online to help you make a decision. But, if you can get the 10850K at a reasonable price, I think it's a good chip.

Does it really matter if I've got an AMD GPU installed? Wouldn't I be better off with a dGPU anyway?
Yes of course if you already have a dGPU. Only concern would be those who bought it and just wanted to run iGPU, which could potentially mean tens or hundreds of thousands of users.

I have good contact. I have a direct email and phone number for him. This is our local Gigabyte service technician. Pass the problems to Taiwan.
That's good to hear! If so, maybe you could pass on my findings to him. I'm running a Z490 Aorus Xtreme 1.0 board at the moment, and I'm running into two main issues. I use Thermaltake's Toughram RGB 2x8GB, and my system refuses to accept the XMP profile for it which is set at 3600MHhz. I have to bring it down to 3200MHz to work, otherwise it won't boot.

Second issue is the Gigabyte Windows firmware update app is terrible. Their app showed only the F8 firmware as available on their servers when in fact the F20d was the latest one. That's why I experienced stop-start issues on the board when I replaced my i5-10500 with the i9-11900K (because I didn't know F20d was released and thought F8 was latest).

Back