Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

Yes, just WEG and agdpmod=pikera. It runs smooth. Even better in DaVinci Resolve than my previous 5700XT.

Yes, just WEG and agdpmod=pikera. It runs smooth. Even better in DaVinci Resolve than my previous 5700XT.

Cool, are you running Big Sur and do you know what vBIOS you're running? Trying to see if there's something wrong with my card or a misconfiguration issue. I've tried in Windows and haven't ran into these problems so I'm assuming it's macOS related

EDIT: It may be my Ram causing the issue. Disabled XMP and so far so good. If it doesn't kp over the weekend i'll try swapping it out for another kit

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 12.14.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 12.14.04 PM.png
    130.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Interesting that an eGPU works with macOS on an unflashed jhl8540 controller.

If only we can get the Vision D hotplug working...

Hey @CaseySJ ,

I have received my 11900k today, the Gigabyte Z590i Vision D a couple of weeks ago.

So I used the meantime to create a config and do a USB-Port mapping etc.

The config instantly booted to macOS and even detected my W5500 via TB in an Razer Core X. Didn't expect that. Everything running very smooth.

But the TB has no hot plug yet, but this is also hard to test for me, as the only TB device I have is the eGPU which is required to get display output.

I noticed that the Thunderbolt is not under RP05. It is listed under PCI Bridge etc. (Have no access to my system over the weekend and didn't do a IORegistryExplorer and no MacIASL Export yet)

Is this a good sign?

I have used your previous SSDT-TB3HP-JHL8540-GIGABYTE-Z590i-VISION-D.aml and left the BIOS settings at default. So Security Controlled by the OS is set to enabled. And GPIO Force Power is set disabled (I know, should be enabled, but TB works without it).

I am also willing to do some further testing of the TB SSDTs etc. I would also try to flash the TB ROM if necessary, but I am not sure if my clamp fits where the TB ROM chip sits and I don't have the soldering tools to desolder the ROM chip.

Thank you for the SSDTs. I can start to support further at Sunday evening/monday. Took next week off, so plenty of time :).

I will also share my config on Github.

Best,
Chris
Have you used a PCIe 4.0 SSD?
Do you have the UHD 750 attached, and if so, how does macOS detect it?
How does PCI look like in System Preferences?

Hey @CaseySJ ,

I have received my 11900k today, the Gigabyte Z590i Vision D a couple of weeks ago.

The config instantly booted to macOS and even detected my W5500 via TB in an Razer Core X. Didn't expect that. Everything running very smooth.

But the TB has no hot plug yet, but this is also hard to test for me, as the only TB device I have is the eGPU which is required to get display output.

I noticed that the Thunderbolt is not under RP05. It is listed under PCI Bridge etc. (Have no access to my system over the weekend and didn't do a IORegistryExplorer and no MacIASL Export yet)

Is this a good sign?

I have used your previous SSDT-TB3HP-JHL8540-GIGABYTE-Z590i-VISION-D.aml and left the BIOS settings at default. So Security Controlled by the OS is set to enabled. And GPIO Force Power is set disabled (I know, should be enabled, but TB works without it).

I am also willing to do some further testing of the TB SSDTs etc. I would also try to flash the TB ROM if necessary, but I am not sure if my clamp fits where the TB ROM chip sits and I don't have the soldering tools to desolder the ROM chip.

Thank you for the SSDTs. I can start to support further at Sunday evening/monday. Took next week off, so plenty of time :).

Best,
Chris
Hi, djlild7hina:

I see that you said in this post that you have received 11900K Rocket Lake, and you are using it, and its working fine on hackintosh?, can you please tell us some more details about how everything works with it, because I have the whole build ready just to see if Rocket Lake will get supported to buy one. So share with us what you know so fare is it worth it to go with 11gen instead of Comet Lake ...???????

Hi, djlild7hina:

I see that you said in this post that you have received 11900K Rocket Lake, and you are using it, and its working fine on hackintosh?, can you please tell us some more details about how everything works with it, because I have the whole build ready just to see if Rocket Lake will get supported to buy one. So share with us what you know so fare is it worth it to go with 11gen instead of Comet Lake ...???????
Rocket Lake works just fine with macOS. You will have to spoof the CPUID for macOS to boot.

The question really is what will you use the CPU for, and how much are you willing to spend, not just on the CPU, but on an adequate power supply and cooler? Also, do you need PCIe4.0 or does PCIe3.0 suffice? Your workflow should dictate what you end up getting.

Also, the elephant in the room is Alder Lake. If Intel's former CEO is to be believed, then Alder Lake is coming later this year, so are you in a position to wait? If you opt for Rocket Lake now, the 11600K seems to be a solid choice. The 11700K/11900K are more expensive, but they are solid upgrades above the 10700K. For example, the 10700K @ 5.1GHz gets ~1350 (single core) and ~13500 (multicore) in Cinebench R23, whereas an overclocked 11700k gets roughly 1630 and 16200 in Cinebench R23, or a 20% uplift. But that +20% isn't evenly distributed across all apps. Some apps don't see any performance increase.

The downsides of Rocket Lake is that in some instances, the 10900K/10850K beat it. How is the new i9 slower than the old i9? It also uses much more power relative to Comet Lake, not so much so in lightly threaded apps, but more so at full load. My observation with actual silicon is that when all Rocket Lake cores are fully loaded, the overclocked 11700K uses approximately +70-80 more watts compared to the overclocked 10700K. Same motherboard. Same BIOS. Just a slightly higher voltage to stabilize Rocket Lake. So you will need adequate cooling.

Also, there are some amazing deals on Comet Lake at the moment, for example the 10850K is approx $320 at Micro Center. So, while the 10850K has roughly 20% less single core performance than Rocket Lake, its 10 cores sometimes match or exceed Rocket Lake's 8 cores. Finally, Alder Lake is coming with a new socket and platform, PCIe5, DDR5, and a PCH that operates at PCIe4 (vs 3.0 on Z590) (meaning better flexibility for I/O). So if you're in the market to buy something new, say a z590 board and cpu, why not consider z690? Also, there doesn't appear to be any upgrade path for Z590, this seems to be the last hurrah for the LGA 1200 socket.

So what do you need the CPU for? If you need strong multicore performance, consider the 10850K, but if you primarily want to game or have higher single threaded performance for your daily apps, then consider the 11600K. In my opinion, only step up to the 11700K if you need 8 cores. And I don't recommend the 11900K at all. It may be a better binned version of the 8-core 11700K, but costs an extra $140 (even more $$ on newegg). It is officially priced around the $550 MSRP of a Rzyen 5900x, and is now over $600.00 on some retail shelves. But it has 4 fewer cores/8 fewer threads than the Rzyen 5900x, and it gets destroyed by the Rzyen 5900x in heavily threaded apps. It is not a good value at all. I wouldn't say a waste of sand like Gamer's Nexus, but I'm not sure why anyone would buy it when the 11700K is roughly as strong especially when overclocked, or they could spend that same money on a Rzyen 5800x or if they get lucky, snag a Rzyen 5900X at MSRP.

But it's your money, so you will have to decide.

Last edited:
@dehjomz,

This is an excellent summary of the pros and cons. I'll add links to this post in both the Z390 Designare and Z490 Vision D threads.

Rocket Lake works just fine with macOS. You will have to spoof the CPUID for macOS to boot.

The question really is what will you use the CPU for, and how much are you willing to spend, not just on the CPU, but on an adequate power supply and cooler? Also, do you need PCIe4.0 or does PCIe3.0 suffice? Your workflow should dictate what you end up getting.
I'm going to consider it, indeed. I was only looking at the option of the PCIe4.0. My build is for gaming and multimedia.

Alder Lake everything is going to be new DDR5, a new MB LGA socket. Is it going to be hackintosh prove. I don't know.

Maybe the 11600K or 10700K is better to consider. I already bought the Z490 G, Kraken x53 and Corsair RM650X.

Thank you so much to take the time to clarifying this all.

Hey @CaseySJ ,

Is this a good sign?

Best,
Chris
Hello @SchmockLord19,

Good to see the interest in Z590I Vision D. Some questions and comments:
  • When using the i9-11900K, was it necessary to spoof the CPU ID?
  • The Razer Core X has been problematic on Z490, so it’s good to see that it works on Z590.
  • Thunderbolt 4 has a slightly different device tree than Thunderbolt 3, but on the Z590i its Root Port is still RP05. If the sub device under RP05 is ”pcibridge“ instead of UPSB, then it indicates that the Thunderbolt SSDT was rejected by macOS.
    • If so, it will be necessary to examine the boot log: log show —last boot | head -1000 > ~/Documents/bootlog.txt
  • We have found that Thunderbolt hot plug on this board does not work under macOS. The firmware is different from what we’ve seen before, so the modifications we made for Titan Ridge may or may not work on Maple Ridge.
    • The modified firmware files I provided earlier in this thread to @ori69 are a first attempt. We don’t have a comparable firmware file from Apple, so the modifications I made are not likely to enable Thunderbolt Bus, but hopefully someone will be brave enough (foolish enough? :)) to try them.
  • Because hot plug works on ASUS and MSI Z590 boards, we believe there’s a problem with Gigabyte’s firmware (BIOS). So it may be necessary to wait for an update.

Back