Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

according to this article, 11900k will be backward compatible with 400 series boards. This mean we'll have a good shot at 11th gen hackintoshes on Z490 boards?

11900k.jpg

according to this article, 11900k will be backward compatible with 400 series boards. This mean we'll have a good shot at 11th gen hackintoshes on Z490 boards?

View attachment 504688
Only 8 cores and not 10?

The CPU itself may be compatible with Z490 motherboards, but may not be supported on MacOS and may not be compatible.

May be some adventurers who buy these CPUs can tell us in the future.

Only 8 cores and not 10?

The CPU itself may be compatible with Z490 motherboards, but may not be supported on MacOS and may not be compatible.

May be some adventurers who buy these CPUs can tell us in the future.
Yea I saw that also but the cores are supposed to preform better

may not be supported on MacOS and may not be compatible.
agreed, we won't know until we know. guess what I'm asking is, do you think the probability of it working on MacOS increases because of the backward compatibility? does 400 series compatibility have any impact on the probability?

agreed, we won't know until we know. guess what I'm asking is, do you think the probability of it working on MacOS increases because of the backward compatibility? does 400 series compatibility have any impact on the probability?

Intel is in the process of changing the architecture and the cores of their CPU that is where the problem comes in. Skylake to Coffee lake is basically the same CPU with each generation adding more cores. 10 gen added TB to the CPU and 11th Gen will have different CPU cores and different IGPU. So while the motherboard will be compatible the chip will be different.

Intel is in the process of changing the architecture and the cores of their CPU that is where the problem comes in. Skylake to Coffee lake is basically the same CPU with each generation adding more cores. 10 gen added TB to the CPU and 11th Gen will have different CPU cores and different IGPU. So while the motherboard will be compatible the chip will be different.
thanks for the explanation. looking forward to seeing if someone can crack it. would be nice to make 11th gen my last upgrade, unless an arm hackintosh is the next evolution.

While its pretty unlikely apple will release any rocket-lake or z590 based macs, it is still possible they will release some machines with intel CPUs. The most likely one would be an update to the mac pro. But when they announced the M1, they also said they were going to continue to support intel machines "for a long time" and that they even had some intel machines still in the pipeline. So we will have to see what that means in the end.

More importantly, while am sure smart folks will figure out how to get these and future new platforms working in macOS (i mean they have even AMD platforms working), as things divert between intel and macOS, stuff will get more "hacky" and less native- and there will likely be more caveats or incompatible components. In any case, RKL is actually a backport to 14nm what are supposedly the same cores that were in ice-lake, which Apple does support for instance in the 13" high end macbook pro 2020 version. So if it is a real straight port the CPU support and even GPU support might be fine. TB4 support will be interesting to see, i am sure it will continue to work in legacy mode as it always has, but will be interesting to see if smart folks can get some advanced features like thunderbolt hubs working by flashing the firmwares on these new controllers. Let the hacking begin in 3. 2. 1. ...

g\

MacOS Sierra and High Sierra can run on Intel 9th generation hardware, even though Sierra and High Sierra have no official support for them...
Indeed. I recently "downgraded" my "Mini-ITX 4" (at left and below) from Big Sur/OpenCore to High Sierra/Clover R5119. No problems, and now all three of my in-house computers ("Mini-ITX 1, 3, and 4") run under High Sierra. I'm done chasing the latest version of MacOS.

[Edit... updated May 2022: Now running OpenCore 0.8.0 on "Mini-ITX 1, 3, and 4" below. High Sierra 10.13.6 on "Mini-ITX 1 and 3," but Mojave 10.14.6 on Mini-ITX 4." "Mini-ITX 2" is running Big Sur on OpenCore 0.7.4 at neighbor's house.]

Last edited:
I have a Z490 board (Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme with Core i5-10400) so I will definitely be upgrading to the 11th gen CPU. My initial thoughts on it are that they should at least work with macOS. Aside from this, the current Comet Lake chipset should theoretically run Sierra to Big Sur no problem, considering it is based on the Skylake architecture. But no one I have yet heard (except myself), has a Z490 system running High Sierra or has gone as far back as Sierra. It would be interesting to see how well it works (with Sierra).

Back