Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

Has Anyone managed to boot Bigsur with the i9-11900k IGPU
currently trying to fake it to the 630 IGPU and see if will work
Until this moment I managed to boot into a blank screen install with no USBs working
You will be able to get Big Sur working but will need an EGPU for Display as the iGPU is not supported. I tried faking many ID and could only get Headless mode. I did manage to boot with IGPU a few times but no graphics acceleration at all, had to get an AMD RX580 which works great now.

I still have it. I’m working with Gigabyte behind the scenes. A new maple ridge NVM update is available and is coming. And a new bios that enables kernel dma protection for maple ridge.

Hotplugging is working great in windows and Linux, but not macOS directly (hotplug in macOS only works for me after resume from s3 sleep).

But I don’t hotplug my thunderbolt devices in macOS, so while the Titan ridge hotplugging experience (as in your case with the ASRock) is preferable, it’s not that big a deal for me. The hotplug ssdt loaded for me from day one.

I’m using an OWC thunderbolt 4 dock, I love this thing. Hooked up to it I have a nvme (western digital sn750) in a thunderbolt nvme enclosure, as well as a caldigit 10gbps thunderbolt Ethernet adapter hooked up to my 10gbps switch, and a usb-c monitor. My other thunderbolt port on the motherboard has another thunderbolt dock with all sorts of stuff hooked up to it.

The main requirement for me is for my thunderbolt devices to continue to remain connected during s3 sleep, and resume from sleep. And they do, so no major issues with me.

I was also going to send back the vision d z590, I was irate at first, I expected hotplugging support out of the box, as with z490 Titan ridge and on a Mac. But I’ve calmed down. In my experience, it handles rocket lake better than z490… I got higher multicore scores, and better performance under load. Probably an extra 7-10 percent. But that could be because I was using a beta bios with rocket lake on z490, I haven’t tried the release f20 bios.

My system has been stable for weeks, so I’m good. The main reason why I didn’t get the asus hero 13 is because as far as I could tell, it doesn’t have a displayport input, unlike the vision d. So I wouldn’t have been able to tunnel my 6800XT’s video output to my usb-c monitor via thunderbolt. But I can on the vision d.
I’m quite interested in your setup.. in fact I made my purchases after reading this post.
I got a Z590 Vision D + i7-11700K, and carried over my Radeon VII GPU + 64GB HyperX 3200 RAM from my prior hackintosh.

I have an OWC Thunderbolt 3 hub, plugged into the lower Thunderbolt port on the back of the Vision D (the one without the box around the icon). Plugged into my Thunderbolt hub I have a 10GBe adapter so I can connect to my NAS. That all works great so far.

A few problems I’m running into. One, I can’t seem to mount my Thunderbolt 2 drive (G-Speed Studio R) when it’s plugged in via TB3 adapter to the hub upon startup. This used to work on my older Z390 Auros Xtreme.
Additionally, I can’t seem to use both Thunderbolt ports on the Vision D, since I’ve got 2 M.2 NVMe cards in the top two slots, plus my Radeon VII in the top PCIe slot. I’m not totally clear on this, but it sounds like they’re sharing resources and I’m wondering if I won’t be able to use all at once (top two M.2 NVMe’s, Radeon VII GPU, and both Thunderbolt ports).
And finally, I can’t reliably run the system with XMP Profile 1 enabled on my 3200 MHz RAM. I tried for a few days and kept getting the spinning beach ball or crashes.. Once I disabled XMP I‘ve not had any issues.
I’d love to overclock the CPU, but at this rate I’d be surprised if that’d be reliable as well.

Anyway, your setup seems ideal so I was wondering if you’ve run into any of these issues.

I’m quite interested in your setup.. in fact I made my purchases after reading this post.
I got a Z590 Vision D + i7-11700K, and carried over my Radeon VII GPU + 64GB HyperX 3200 RAM from my prior hackintosh.

I have an OWC Thunderbolt 3 hub, plugged into the lower Thunderbolt port on the back of the Vision D (the one without the box around the icon). Plugged into my Thunderbolt hub I have a 10GBe adapter so I can connect to my NAS. That all works great so far.

A few problems I’m running into. One, I can’t seem to mount my Thunderbolt 2 drive (G-Speed Studio R) when it’s plugged in via TB3 adapter to the hub upon startup. This used to work on my older Z390 Auros Xtreme.
Additionally, I can’t seem to use both Thunderbolt ports on the Vision D, since I’ve got 2 M.2 NVMe cards in the top two slots, plus my Radeon VII in the top PCIe slot. I’m not totally clear on this, but it sounds like they’re sharing resources and I’m wondering if I won’t be able to use all at once (top two M.2 NVMe’s, Radeon VII GPU, and both Thunderbolt ports).
And finally, I can’t reliably run the system with XMP Profile 1 enabled on my 3200 MHz RAM. I tried for a few days and kept getting the spinning beach ball or crashes.. Once I disabled XMP I‘ve not had any issues.
I’d love to overclock the CPU, but at this rate I’d be surprised if that’d be reliable as well.

Anyway, your setup seems ideal so I was wondering if you’ve run into any of these issues.

You could likely find all the resources you would ever need for your Motherboard @

I like you can not run my system with an XMP profile enabled. Figuring out that was the issue was a long time coming for me. I just set the memory clock speed in the bios.

You could likely find all the resources you would ever need for your Motherboard @

I like you can not run my system with an XMP profile enabled. Figuring out that was the issue was a long time coming for me. I just set the memory clock speed in the bios.

What BIOS versions are you all running, I have no problems with XMP enabled, top m2 slot use, both thunderbolt ports in use and connected to two separate docks, one of which is a thunderbolt 4 hub.

One thing I will say is that the early BIOSes have some issues with recognizing thunderbolt devices in the pre-boot environment, unless you cold boot the system. So in other words, if your OS is installed to a thunderbolt drive, you can only boot from the drive if the system cold booted, because thunderbolt devices are not recognized on warm boot (if you do so from Big Sur or from the BIOS ... but warm booting from Windows or Linux has no impact on this).

Also usb devices connected to the thunderbolt 4 dock are not recognized whatsoever in the preboot environment, I'm not sure if the same is true for thunderbolt devices connected via thunderbolt adapter. I don't have any thunderbolt2 devices to test.

A beta version of the F5 BIOS fixes the issue and USB-C devices connected to a thunderbolt4 port on the thunderbolt4 hub are recognized in the pre-boot environment. That might fix your issue with the thunderbolt2 device. But that beta F5 BIOS should be avoided because it breaks S3 sleep in macOS.

Mind you all of this has only been tested with VT-D on, I haven't tried disabling it to see if there's any impact.

Last edited:
I have XMP and both Thunderbolts working with a Radeon VII in the top slot (and the middle one). I'm not using the top M.2 NVMe though. Sounds like your diagnosis could be correct.

What BIOS versions are you all running, I have no problems with XMP enabled, top m2 slot use, both thunderbolt ports in use and connected to two separate docks, one of which is a thunderbolt 4 hub.

One thing I will say is that the early BIOSes have some issues with recognizing thunderbolt devices in the pre-boot environment, unless you cold boot the system. So in other words, if your OS is installed to a thunderbolt drive, you can only boot from the drive if the system cold booted, because thunderbolt devices are not recognized on warm boot (if you do so from Big Sur or from the BIOS ... but warm booting from Windows or Linux has no impact on this).

Also usb devices connected to the thunderbolt 4 dock are not recognized whatsoever in the preboot environment, I'm not sure if the same is true for thunderbolt devices connected via thunderbolt adapter. I don't have any thunderbolt2 devices to test.

A beta version of the F5 BIOS fixes the issue and USB-C devices connected to a thunderbolt4 port on the thunderbolt4 hub are recognized in the pre-boot environment. That might fix your issue with the thunderbolt2 device. But that beta F5 BIOS should be avoided because it breaks S3 sleep in macOS.

Mind you all of this has only been tested with VT-D on, I haven't tried disabling it to see if there's any impact.
I'm using bios F5d.
So you're using top two M.2 slots, and both Thunderbolt ports.. and you have your Radeon VII in your top 16x slot I assume? And XMP? That's my dream setup, but so far XMP cripples my macOS experience.

I did some more testing tonight and plugged my Sonnet 10GBe TB3 adapter into the top Thunderbolt port on the MB. Meanwhile I have my OWC Thunderbolt 3 hub plugged into the bottom Thunderbolt port.
And of course, the top two M.2 slots filled with NVMe's (macOS + Windows 10), and my Radeon VII in the top slot, Fenvi T919 in the lower 1x slot.
That all works actually.. and I get full 10Gbe speeds to my NAS with that Sonnet adapter. Nice.

THEN, once I plug my G-Speed Thunderbolt 2 drive into my hub and cold boot, I hang on the white apple logo during startup. Never gets further than about 1/3 on the white progress bar, and I have to eventually force it down.

It'll be a massive bummer if I can't get this 24TB Thunderbolt 2 G-Speed connected to my Hackintosh for FCP.. but maybe it's time to replace this Thunderbolt 2 technology.

Last edited:
I'm using bios F5d.
So you're using top two M.2 slots, and both Thunderbolt ports.. and you have your Radeon VII in your top 16x slot I assume? And XMP? That's my dream setup, but so far XMP cripples my macOS experience.

I can use my 10GBe Thunderbolt 3 adapter that's plugged into my OWC TB Hub, but yeah, the TB2 drive plugged into that same port won't mount.. so maybe it's a problem with TB2 now being recognized?
Yeah both Thunderbolt ports are in use, one connected to a thunderbolt 3 dock, the other connected to a Thunderbolt4 hub for an additional 3 Thunderbolt ports (I've hooked up an aquantia 10gbps Ethernet device and a NVMe Thunderbolt device, so one port on the hub is free). The top two NVMe slots are in use, and I’m using a 6800 XT in PCIE4.0 mode in the top PCIe slot. 64 GB of 3200 MHz memory at XMP.

Everything is working with the exception of Thunderbolt hot plug in macOS. Thunderbolt hot plug works mostly fine in Windows/Linux (with the exception one JHL6240 device that doesn't hot plug until I enter S3 sleep mode and resume from sleep). In macOS in order for Thunderbolt hot plug to work, I have to enter s3 sleep and then resume from sleep. Once I do this, then certain ACPI code is executed during resume from sleep procedure that triggers the hot plug routine to run, and the device registers with kernel and starts up. I don't quite know why this happens or which routine is executed, but it happens. I don't normally hot plug Thunderbolt devices in macOS anyway, so it's annoying but not a big deal. USB-C devices (in USB 3.1 [10Gbps mode]) hot plug just fine though, so I'm not sure why regular USB-C devices can hot plug normally via the Thunderbolt ports in macOS, but not thunderbolt devices.

Running an unreleased test BIOS.

For your Thunderbolt 2 device, does it work when it is connected prior to booting the PC? In other words, you may be having trouble with it being hot plugged, and it needing to be connected prior to booting. Similar to my JHL6240 device, but at least with my device if I try to connect it after the PC has booted, I can enter S3 sleep, and then when I resume from sleep, it connects. You might be facing a similar issue. Seems that there is an issue with Thunderbolt hot plug with certain older Thunderbolt devices and Maple Ridge. There's even a new Maple Ridge NVM from Intel, but I don't think Gigabyte has posted that. I've been working with Gigabyte for over 2 months on a solution and well as you can see F5d is still posted on their website after all this time, so they aren't exactly quick in resolving these issues.

Last edited:
Hello, I have been following this thread and I am very interested. I want to go for a gigabyte z590 vision D. I have an Apollo x4 tb3 and am interested in hot plugging. Was there any progress that I am missing regarding this? Anyway, if there is no hot plug, the cold boot will work stable?

@CaseySJ could you help me? I really appreciate your work, something tells me that you will get it brother!

Hello, I have been following this thread and I am very interested. I want to go for a gigabyte z590 vision D. I have an Apollo x4 tb3 and am interested in hot plugging. Was there any progress that I am missing regarding this? Anyway, if there is no hot plug, the cold boot will work stable?

@CaseySJ could you help me? I really appreciate your work, something tells me that you will get it brother!
Hello @JoanSilva17,

On the Gigabyte Z590 Vision D, @dehjomz has reported that Thunderbolt hot plug does not work. So Thunderbolt devices need to be connected and powered before macOS boots up.

@dehjomz: Is this correct?

In that case, can I use my flashed titan ridge on that motherboard or could there be conflicts?

Back