Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

In IORegistryExplorer, look under your PCIe root ports. You’re looking for NHI0. There is no Maple Ridge driver for Big Sur, as Apple has topped out at Titan Ridge on Intel based Macs.

But, Thunderbolt 4 certainly is working in Big Sur.

View attachment 517501

As can be seen above, my NHI is located at RP05. I think yours is at RP01. So once you find your NHI's pcie root port, modify the thunderbolt hotplug SSDT for the z590 Asus 13 Hero, which can be found at https://hackindrom.zapto.org (in the drop down menu). Change RP05 to the RP that your NHI is located at.
@chidgear

The device NHI0 is created by the Thunderbolt SSDT, so it will not exist in IOReg until the SSDT is applied. Instead, just run IORegistryExplorer and look for the keyword Thunderbolt, then post a screenshot of that section. We can help you with the rest.

@chidgear

The device NHI0 is created by the Thunderbolt SSDT, so it will not exist in IOReg until the SSDT is applied. Instead, just run IORegistryExplorer and look for the keyword Thunderbolt, then post a screenshot of that section. We can help you with the rest.
Thanks Casey.

Funny thing, I use the same board, but with a core i9-10900, sleep works fine. Could it be a processor thing?
Not sure , it could be......maybe CPU. Maybe a BIOS setting, not really sure. I got Thunderbolt 4 working. I will look into sleep in the coming days.

Hi. I got a MSI MEG Z590 ACE Motherboard with a Core i9-10900 (Comet Lake) processor. After some hard time making it boot, now I wan to enable Thunderbolt hot plug. In Alpine Ridge (Thunderbolt 3) I had to flash the controller, and then create a custom SSDT using Hackindrom and IOreg. However, for Z590 boards, which have Thunderbolt 4, there is no firmware, as far as I know.
I've enabled Thunderbolt in the BIOS with the following settings:
Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support Enabled
Wake from Thunderbolt(TM) Devices Enabled
Current Security Level No Security
Native OS Security for TBT Enabled
Thunderbolt USB Support Enabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support Enabled
GPIO3 Force Pwr Enabled
GPIO filter Enabled
DTBT Controller 0 Enabled
TBT Host Router Two port
Extra Bus Reserved 106 (Default)
Reserved memory 737 (default)
Memory Alignment 26 (default)
Reserved Pmemory 1184 (default)
PMemory Alignment 28 (deult)
Reserved I/O 0
Windows 10 Thunderbolt support Enable + RTD3
Under "About this mac" / "system report" / "Hardware" / "Thunderbolt/USB4" shows "Thunderbolt/USB4: No drivers are loaded" and, as yo may guess, I need to plug the TB device before booting into Mac OS in order to be able to use that TB device. (I'm testing with a Startech Thunderbolt 3 dock [TB3DKM2HD].)
Since I read "Because hot plug works on ASUS and MSI Z590 boards" I am in the understanding that it is now possible to enable Thunderbolt 4 hot plug on this boards.
Someone suggested me to search for "Thunderbolt" in IOreg to see where is the root port of the Thunderbolt, but no luck at all, since searching "Thunderbolt" throws 0 results (even if i only write "thun").
Can you help me in what am I doing wrong or give advise on what must I do next please?
(running mac OS 11.2.3 Big Sur)
Thank you in advance.
If you go to Device Manager in Windows 10, under system devices all the way to the bottom, you will see "Thunderbolt controller followed by a number, for example """"Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 15EB""""""". When in OSX IOReg look for that number in the search bar. Don't look for "Thunderbolt"" you will not get any results. (The 15EB number in this post is just an example, dont look for 15EB , thats for TB3, not TB4. :))

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm testing an ASUS ROG B560I Gaming and a i5-10600 CPU (UHD 630) iGPU only.
I've the same problem after system successful install on both HDMI and DP ports: video but without acceleration or black screen after initial boot with suggested framebuffers for Comet Lake.
Also tested manual connectors patching with no luck (OpenCore 0.6.9, LILU 1.5.3, WhateverGreen 1.4.9 with Big Sur 11.3).
Follow my guide for the Z490 Aorus Xtreme in my signature, and check my latest post. I have the Z490 running on both Comet Lake i5-10500 and Rocket Lake i9 11900K. You have to spoof the CPUID with Coffee Lake in order to run High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina or Big Sur. I already have a working Big Sur 11.3 build there.

I'm testing an ASUS ROG B560I Gaming and a i5-10600 CPU (UHD 630) iGPU only.
I've the same problem after system successful install on both HDMI and DP ports: video but without acceleration or black screen after initial boot with suggested framebuffers for Comet Lake.
Also tested manual connectors patching with no luck (OpenCore 0.6.9, LILU 1.5.3, WhateverGreen 1.4.9 with Big Sur 11.3).

Start with the question of SMBIOS. What is an appropriate choice?

For example iMac 20,2 was a great choice for my build, and I chose most parts with hope they would fit. I think that model always expects a dGPU. It's never gonna put a display on iGPU.

One way to think about patching is that to newbie it looks like in principle with hard work maybe any build config could be supported, but in practice most of config is baked into macOS and you live with option compromised. One big compromise is model gfx.

What SMBIOS are you using? The trick is that as PC hardware rolls on and Apple moves to their own silicon, there are few SMBIOS with new Intel chips, so doors are closing. Deep investigation and patch work can unlock things, but the trend is inevitable. There comes a point where the patch equals engineering the whole OS.

Back to your build: I'm not an expert on config, but what've pieced together is if you want iGPU display out you need to start with a SMBIOS for a model that supports that, then you have to be sure that the framebuffer and CPU ID are set properly, then you have to figure out connectors. Device-id can let you spoof a supported CPU ID when you have a diff chip in similar family to an Apple model. For example, in my case i9-10900K CPU ID is used in an Apple model, so no device-id spoof needed. Frame buffer details are lore that comes from looking inside ACPI config. Again, in my case Quicksync/VDA came right up with Coffee Lake a framebuffer, as described in Whatevergreen FAQ because i9-10900 is in roughly the same family.

Assuming SMBIOS and framebuffee config are sound, determining display connectors is guided trial and error, where you have to try combos of busid and pipe, and patch the port-type according to outputs of your board. The Whatevergreen FAQ is the reference sheet for this. There's a guide "framebuffer patching with Whatevergreen" here at tonymac that's well worth reading for approach to connector config.

In my view, start with SMBIOS. If it's inappropriate, no amount of goofing around with framebuffer patching is gonna make iGPU display work. Of course, maybe my view is incorrect? Please share your findings if you discover otherwise!

I don't have enough experience to suggest an SMBIOS for you, but hopefully you get gist of how to choose.

Per previous post on Asus z590 Hero 10900 immediate-wake-from-sleep:

Adding latest version of NVMefix to OC 0.6.8 RELEASE causes a crash at immediate wake, whereas without NVMefix, the system uncleanly disconnects USB storage but keeps on running.

Will look at DEBUG log as next step.

@CaseySJ I have been able to get Thunderbolt at RP05.

But Hot plug still doesn't work.

Attached are current files. Would really appreciate your help on the SSDT.

The SSDT attached was enabled.

Best,
Chris

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3HP-JHL8540-GIGABYTE-Z590i-VISION-D.aml
    1.6 KB · Views: 40
  • bootlog.txt
    353.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Christopher’s iMac_Z590i Vision D.ioreg
    10.8 MB · Views: 49
@CaseySJ I have been able to get Thunderbolt at RP05.

But Hot plug still doesn't work.

Attached are current files. Would really appreciate your help on the SSDT.

The SSDT attached was enabled.

Best,
Chris
Please try the attached SSDT that removes device HRUS. After installing this SSDT and rebooting, please post IOReg file once again.

Also note that we believe Gigabyte Z590 BIOS has a problem that prevents us from enabling Thunderbolt hot plug. But let's give the attached SSDT a try anyway.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3HP-JHL8540-GIGABYTE-Z590i-VISION-D.aml
    1.6 KB · Views: 58
@CaseySJ Thanks. Now it seems to work.

When I unplug my TB4 Dock it turns read and is stroked in IORegistryExplorer. When I plug it in again, it appears again.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Christopher’s iMac_Z590i Vision D.ioreg
    11.1 MB · Views: 45
  • bootlog.txt
    358.6 KB · Views: 54
@CaseySJ Thanks. Now it seems to work.

When I unplug my TB4 Dock it turns read and is stroked in IORegistryExplorer. When I plug it in again, it appears again.
The SSDT is working correctly now, but please note that DSB2 is the USB 3.x controller. The screenshots show that USB hot plug is working.

Thunderbolt devices, however, will only connect to DSB1 and DSB3.

Back