Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

@dehjomz how can I go about this ?I contacted western digital and they don't seem to know the controller the wd black d50 uses.

haven't tried from sleep yet. will try it out some time tonight. I also have another Hero 13 with the original firmware so I will test both with my current EFI. test if the drive is recognize after reboot, sleep, and complete shutdown correct ? Will also test this behaviors in windows and see what the results are. hope this info helps out anyone out there. Specially since the hero 13 is an amazing board.
HWINFO in windows will tell you. Just analyze pcie root port 5, and look at the attached devices under the thunderbolt bus. As long your thunderbolt device(s) is/are recognized upon being hotplugged, there’s nothing to worry about. I just had the unfortunate experience with having some issues with some of my devices.

But I figure they’ll work out the kinks. Gigabyte is definitely making some progress behind the scenes.

And yes I agree, the Hero is solidly built motherboard. Like a tank.

And yes, test the various use cases to see when the drive is or is not detected.

Link to Dortania z590 status report and my comments over at z590+11900-Stuck...

Dortania z590 Status Report

Sry for cross-posting but maybe it's six-half-dozen... Some of the details posted here might be informative for Dortania if there was a way to share? — I'm aware that from POV of OC team there's a schism between OC/insanelyman and tonmacx86 which I am just going to overlook. I ended up here back in day because it's a very active community, has reliably helpful posts, and this site is easy for me to navigate.

Last edited:
Link to Dortania z590 status report and my comments over at z590+11900-Stuck...

Dortania z590 Status Report

Sry for cross-posting but maybe it's six-half-dozen... Some of the details posted here might be informative for Dortania if there was a way to share? — I'm aware that from POV of OC there's a schism between OC/insanelyman and tonmacx86 which I am just going to overlook. I ended up here back in day because very actve communit, reliably helpful posts, and this site is easy for me to navigate.
@c-o-pr hey guy. thanks for your detailed tutorial/guide for our board. helped me quiet a bit. even though for some reason I cannot boot with the driver openhfsplus.efi I was able to boot past the picker using hfsplus.efi only.

I have a question about your ssd's you have in your EFI folder that you posted and this is solely for self knowledge.

what are these for HPET and USB-Reset.

Also, is USBX the same as EC-USBX?

Thanks for your help.

@c-o-pr hey guy. thanks for your detailed tutorial/guide for our board. helped me quiet a bit. even though for some reason I cannot boot with the driver openhfsplus.efi I was able to boot past the picker using hfsplus.efi only.

I have a question about your ssd's you have in your EFI folder that you posted and this is solely for self knowledge.

what are these for HPET and USB-Reset.

Also, is USBX the same as EC-USBX?

Thanks for your help.
Hey glad to hear my writeup made a diff!

Re HPET and USB-Reset, these are Dortania ACPI boilerplate made using SSDTTime on Linux to dump the system DSDT, then same utility converts into relevant ACPI.

• Strictly speaking, USB-Reset is for 400 series boards as mentioned in above docs.
  • HPET is IRQ conflicts which may be legacy for this new stuff.
Re question on USBX, yes I think so... Here is a case were lore gets confusing because Dortania OpenCore guide offers some downloads which are hackintosh boilerplate but named a little diff (I think they are same in this case). Sorry to be a dork about this answer, but in strictest sense; IDK!

Something I love about Dortania write-up is they say "Hey it's important to learn by doing it yourself" and I agree, but there's too much to know and I also respect laziness of not reinventing good work of others unless there's a mosdef need.

When I ran into trouble with sleep, I figured I had better go thru every aspect of the ACPI guide and cover all bases. But this leads to paradox that this may be lore that's no longer relevant. Problem for us is if it's needed and we don't add, we are remiss for not being thorough, and if it's not necessary or even problematic, how do we know? So I agree with Dortania Guide that it's important to try and learn. OTOH, the combinatorials are ridiculous!

Re openhfsplus.efi vs hfsplus.efi, this is another case of guide lore. I've seen both work. I went with the one supplied in the Acidanthera OpenCore release area. It's pretty easy to slip up on config.plist changes so if you are having trouble look extra carefully at your basic config, like are you referring to the driver properly.

Note that the config.plist checker command (ocvalidate) provided in the OC release Utilities folder is far more detailed that the on-line checker that's common cited. BTW—If if complains about "schema" this usually means that the spec for the release of OC requires config.plist entry details that are missing from your config; schema is the template for required fields in the plist. Older config examples may be missing fields for newer OC releases.

Also note that Dortania offers a complete spec for config.plist documented at

...See Configuration.pdf

For new OC releases, carefully read the release notes and do a config diff between the sample.plist in any future release of OC and your working config.plist. If you search for tools, there are several that help with doing this comparison. The one I like is

Regarding combinatorials and possible errors in my config: My build got stuck for a long while because I was just using iGPU and somehow got the installer to run in safe graphics, then I thought I could get full iGPU working and install Radeon later. The turned into a bugaboo because I didn't understand the importance of SMBIOS on graphics config. At the same time, I switched from OC 0.6.7 to 0.6.8 and was just learning ropes. I made some dumb mistakes and had some big setbacks too. What I am saying is I'm not even sure that the latest EFI I've posted will work from beginning to end of install. But now I sort of don't care because so many variables, there's only so much time in day :)

hth

Regarding USBmap connector type for USB audio affecting board sleep...

I have a situation with immediate wake from sleep which is corroborated in the Dortania z590 status report. The report suggests that setting the audio USB connector (Asus z590 port HS02) to type 255 will allow sleep to work. This doesn't help my build. I checked and I had already used USBmap to set connector type as suggested, but it still bounces out of sleep. Recently, when it bounces the attached flash drive is reported as uncleanly dismounted. This wasn't happening with my earlier config, but I don't know what changed.

I double-checked all the other active ports. Do we need connector type set for non-active (in sense of USBmap) ports? Garrr I'm really not sure if what I just asked even means anything because I don't not what defines active vs. non-active... I better go more-carefully read the info.plist stored in USBmap.kext now...

I have an MSI MEG Z590 ACE with an i9-11900K and OpenCore version 0.6.9. Most things seem to work except for sleep and Thunderbolt 4. Audio appears to be internal USB so no problems there. Intel Bluetooth seems to work with no kexts at all. No Airdrop, though. Wifi is Intel ant not working, but I don't need that. I still have to thinker with it, but seems very stable as it is right now. You do have to use SMBIOS 7,1 or it will not boot,. If anyone can help with Thunderbolt 4 and sleep, I will certainly appreciate it

I have an MSI MEG Z590 ACE with an i9-11900K and OpenCore version 0.6.9. Most things seem to work except for sleep and Thunderbolt 4. Audio appears to be internal USB so no problems there. Intel Bluetooth seems to work with no kexts at all. No Airdrop, though. Wifi is Intel ant not working, but I don't need that. I still have to thinker with it, but seems very stable as it is right now. You do have to use SMBIOS 7,1 or it will not boot,. If anyone can help with Thunderbolt 4 and sleep, I will certainly appreciate it
Intel Bluetooth seems to have native support. (Although not being able to turn off and on.)

There are Intel WiFi kexts that can maybe make your WiFi work.

Thank you for the reply. I will look into it. Thanks.
Also add in the Intel Bluetooth kexts to be able to turn off Bluetooth. :)

I attached the output. In addition to needing the path to the ethernet interface, I also need to know the path to my GTX 1060, which is in the top PCI-E slot but needs to be disabled so that I can exclusively use the 760 with macOS. Any help identifying that would also be great. Thanks again!
That would be PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0) or GFX1 identified by 10de:1c03 which is your Nvidia 1060's device ID.

Back