Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

I have an ASUS Strix Z590-A motherboard with an 11700K. I followed the Dortania OpenCore guide. I may have messed something up because I have absolutely no USB devices. I cant even use USBInjectAll to make a custom SSDT. No mouse, bluetooth, anything over USB. Did I miss something in my EFI?
Thank you!

I have an ASUS Strix Z590-A motherboard with an 11700K. I followed the Dortania OpenCore guide. I may have messed something up because I have absolutely no USB devices. I cant even use USBInjectAll to make a custom SSDT. No mouse, bluetooth, anything over USB. Did I miss something in my EFI?
Thank you!
USBInjectAll.kext is too low. Z590 must be 0.7.7

Attachments

• USBInjectAll.kext.zip
    20.6 KB · Views: 76
Thank you!

Hi there.

Check which version of OpenCore you are using.

I'm running 0.6.8 and the files sizes seem different to yours.

Currently I have a test-build of a 500-series motherboard going on and 0.6.8 cured the inactive USB problem after boot.

USBInjectAll 0.7.7 has been updated for 500-series.

Hi there.

Check which version of OpenCore you are using.

I'm running 0.6.8 and the files sizes seem different to yours.

Currently I have a test-build of a 500-series motherboard going on and 0.6.8 cured the inactive USB problem after boot.

USBInjectAll 0.7.7 has been updated for 500-series.
Updating USBInjectAll to 0.7.7 did it. I was on OpenCore 0.6.8. Thank you!

I'm watching this Z590 thread since I'm contemplating in getting the Gigabyte Z590i Vision D mITX since I sold my RX580 for more that what I paid for and can even get this new mobo. But, from what I've been reading here... the Z590 and 11900K just isnt ready for prime time unless someone convince me otherwise, of course :)

Well... I have most of my USB ports working, but none of my USB C ports seem be working correctly.

The rear USB C port will only show devices as USB 2, and the front panel USB C connector doesn't work at all.

Additionally, I have a couple ports on the motherboard that only function as USB 3 and not as USB 2 (at least I cant see the device change in IORegistryExplorer), which could be by design but seems odd to me.

Does any of this sound like something that can be fixed? I don't want to make an SSDT that is inaccurate because ports weren't working for whatever reason.

There are a few entrees in the IORegistryExplorer that are empty, such as SS01, that doesn't have any device listed under it no matter what port that I use, so I think the system knows that the port exists, it just doesn't actually work.

EDIT: Also it seems that the ethernet isn't being detected since it doesn't show up in System Preferences. I believe I did everything necessary to use the I225-V so I'm not sure what went wrong with that.

Last edited:
Well... I have most of my USB ports working, but none of my USB C ports seem be working correctly.

The rear USB C port will only show devices as USB 2, and the front panel USB C connector doesn't work at all.

Additionally, I have a couple ports on the motherboard that only function as USB 3 and not as USB 2 (at least I cant see the device change in IORegistryExplorer), which could be by design but seems odd to me.

Does any of this sound like something that can be fixed? I don't want to make an SSDT that is inaccurate because ports weren't working for whatever reason.

There are a few entrees in the IORegistryExplorer that are empty, such as SS01, that doesn't have any device listed under it no matter what port that I use, so I think the system knows that the port exists, it just doesn't actually work.

EDIT: Also it seems that the ethernet isn't being detected since it doesn't show up in System Preferences. I believe I did everything necessary to use the I225-V so I'm not sure what went wrong with that.
The 15 port limit is per controller. USBmap is one way to see ports on the Intel controller.

Each USB 3 port is two ports: high speed (HS 2.0) and super speed (SS 3.0). HS tends to eclipse SS. IOW if there's a long list of ports the HS ports will be enumerated first, and the SS will get left out so you can disable certain ports to get the ones you want both HS/SS where total is 15 per controller.

You need a way to see what's available and have to work through what you need.

The 3rd constraint is port connector type: this needs to agree with your layout.

What works for me...

Get USBmap.

Include USBInjectAll.kext and set Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit = True

Run USBmap (d)iscover plus USBmap (p)ort-specify to id ports, enable/disable ports, and set connector type.

Then use (k)ernel to produce a kext with your selected assignments to add to your config minus USBInjectAll and Quirks.

I had to go around several times to figure out which was which. I made two versions of OC. One I set to use USBInjectall and quirk without USBmap to review hardware. The other disables USBInjectAll + Quirk and adds the last USBmap.kext I made. By rotating between these I figured out how the ports listed matched connectors, and set connector types. You'll need a device that works with the port style HS/SS/C so USBmap (d)iscover can show you activity port-by-port.

Note that USBmap (d)iscover automatically adds an enable to (p)orts assign, so it sort of works against you. Everything you need to know is in the UI for USBmap. Especially under the (t)ypes list. Type-C ports tend to be 9.

/wire

I'm wondering if the issues we're seeing with Thunderbolt 4 hot plug on some of the Z590 motherboards is actually an incompatibility (or bug) with the Maple Ridge NVM 26.x firmware and older Thunderbolt 3 devices? None of my Thunderbolt 3 devices hot plug on the Z590 Vision D, whether in macOS, Windows, or Linux. Someone also told me that upon updating the Asus Hero XIII to BIOS 0704, it updated the Thunderbolt firmware to version 26 (they are not sure what the firmware version was before), and upon updating they're having trouble with hot plugging Thunderbolt 3 devices (hotplug worked fine before the BIOS update).

On the Z590 Vision D, if I plug in a Thunderbolt 3 device, they power on, but they do not appear to receive Pcie lanes, and do not start up, even though the Windows Thunderbolt Control Center says the device is 'connected.' The device appears to connect, but is in a zombie state, it is on, but functionally dead. What I've found out is that in Windows and Linux, if I put the system to sleep after hot plugging a Thunderbolt 3 device, when the system wakes up, the OS drivers appear to reset the Thunderbolt controller, and the formerly zombie devices (that were hot plugged but went into a non-functional state) briefly go off and then come back on, and are recognized by the system. I tried a Thunderbolt 3 dock that wasn't recognizing USB devices after hot plugging the dock. I also tried connecting a Thunderbolt 4 dock, and low and behold, it hot plugs, and attached USB devices connect and are recognized by the system.

So it appears that Maple Ridge hot plug works with Thunderbolt 4 devices, but is currently (as of firmware NVM 26.x) having issues with hot plugging Thunderbolt 3 devices.

What has Intel unleashed ????

I'm wondering if the issues we're seeing with Thunderbolt 4 hot plug on some of the Z590 motherboards is actually an incompatibility (or bug) with the Maple Ridge NVM 26.x firmware

After getting my USB config worked out so that rear-panel type-C ports work, I notice that TB controller no longer appears in System Info. Again, I have no way to explore TB right now, but at least USB3 is doing the right thing at 10Gb/s.

As to TB4 / USB4 in this ASUS Max VIII, I was only ever hoping to get TB3 to work. My brain crawls whenever I try to read about USB vs TB vs DP and how the system internally breaks down all these functions. USB4 is still undiscoveered country. The compatibility matrix with constantly shifting names and limits is mind-numbing. The other day I ordered a couple of USB3 type-C to type-A adapters. They arrived and are beautifully made mechanical devices. And for some reason, only convert type-C into USB 2 type-A. Zomg, didn't read fine print... I had to buy a cheap Logitech keyboard because my venerable Apple aluminum 106 with built-in hub isn't recognized by ASUS BIOS — WTF. So dumb.

I'm wondering if the issues we're seeing with Thunderbolt 4 hot plug on some of the Z590 motherboards is actually an incompatibility (or bug) with the Maple Ridge NVM 26.x firmware and older Thunderbolt 3 devices? None of my Thunderbolt 3 devices hot plug on the Z590 Vision D, whether in macOS, Windows, or Linux. Someone also told me that upon updating the Asus Hero XIII to BIOS 0704, it updated the Thunderbolt firmware to version 26 (they are not sure what the firmware version was before), and upon updating they're having trouble with hot plugging Thunderbolt 3 devices (hotplug worked fine before the BIOS update).

On the Z590 Vision D, if I plug in a Thunderbolt 3 device, they power on, but they do not appear to receive Pcie lanes, and do not start up, even though the Windows Thunderbolt Control Center says the device is 'connected.' The device appears to connect, but is in a zombie state, it is on, but functionally dead. What I've found out is that in Windows and Linux, if I put the system to sleep after hot plugging a Thunderbolt 3 device, when the system wakes up, the OS drivers appear to reset the Thunderbolt controller, and the formerly zombie devices (that were hot plugged but went into a non-functional state) briefly go off and then come back on, and are recognized by the system. I tried a Thunderbolt 3 dock that wasn't recognizing USB devices after hot plugging the dock. I also tried connecting a Thunderbolt 4 dock, and low and behold, it hot plugs, and attached USB devices connect and are recognized by the system.

So it appears that Maple Ridge hot plug works with Thunderbolt 4 devices, but is currently (as of firmware NVM 26.x) having issues with hot plugging Thunderbolt 3 devices.

I sent your comments to Gigabyte.
But they haven't responded to my previous submission yet.
I also wrote that this whole design does not make sense without a Thunderbolt hot-plug.
If you have the opportunity, also report it.

Back