4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It's funny, a year ago I would be so excited and planning a new build. Now, I'm glad I just waited it out (and I didn't want to for sure.) At this point I feel like the ship sailed.

I did have a lot of fun with Skylake and Kaby Lake making hackintoshes. I stopped after as I just didn't see a need.
Only exception to this for me has been the newer chips performance, Thunderbolt 3 and PCIe 4.0 functionality compared with Skylake. Or if you prefer AMD, the newer Ryzen chipset's performance.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590 Vision D
CPU
i7-11700K OC @ 5.2GHz
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Only exception to this for me has been the newer chips performance, Thunderbolt 3 and PCIe 4.0 functionality compared with Skylake. Or if you prefer AMD, the newer Ryzen chipset's performance.
Ryzen is a beast. So is m1. Competition is good, and is a strong incentive for Intel to innovate, otherwise it will eventually die as customers move away from the platform. We saw the effects of competition in the GPU space. Nvidia was dominant for years, while Radeon floundered. Now with the 6000 series, AMD has delivered a superior product, and has nearly caught up with nVidia in the high end. Yes AMD still doesn't have a DLSS competitor or on-par ray tracing, but it is innovating! And there are rumblings of Intel throwing its hat in the ring.

I believe in 2-3 years, the effects of competition in the CPU space will force all the players involved to deliver superior end products to consumers. Let's see how Zen4/Zen5, Raptor/Meteor/Lunar Lake, M2/M3 perform!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte z590i vision d
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
MSI RX5500XT Gaming X 8GB
I have a problem reinstalling Big Sur on Z590I Vision D. I had one successful install. After that I decided to play with Windows. Now I'm trying to put latest Big Sur back but keep getting boot loop after the second restart during the installation process. First restart happens at the 12 minute mark when the Big Sur logo is showing. After system boots up it picks up the process and shows an Apple logo. At the 21 minute mark system goes into the second reboot and after that I get constant reboot. I'm using the same config that was working the first time system was successfully installed. Not sure where to look for a solution...

My specs are:
MB: Z590I Vision D
CPU: i9-10900K
RAM: 32GB of 3200 Crucial Ballastix
HDD: 512GB Samsung 970 PRO NVMe
WIFI: Native BCM94360NG module
Video: GeForce GT 710 natively supported in Big Sur
BIOS is F5b

Attachments

• Before 1st reboot.jpg
    Before 1st reboot.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Before 2nd reboot.jpg
    Before 2nd reboot.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 10
  • Constant Reboot at this point.jpg
    Constant Reboot at this point.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • EFI.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
ASRock B560M itx/ac - OC 0.6.8
CPU
i3-10320
Graphics
GT710 - 1920x1080
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a problem reinstalling Big Sur on z590i vision d. I had one successful install. After that I decided to play with windows. Now I'm trying to put latest Big Sur back but keep getting boot loop after the second restart during the installation process. First restart happens at the 12 minute mark when the Big Sur logo is showing. After system boots up it picks up the process and shows an Apple logo. At the 21 minute mark system goes into the second reboot and after that I get constant reboot. I'm using the same config that working the first time system was successfully installed. Not sure where to look for a solution...

My specs are:
MB: z590i vision d
CPU: i9-10900K
RAM: 32GB of 3200 Crucial Ballastix
HDD: 512GB Samsung 970 PRO NVME
WIFI: Native BCM94360NG module
Video: GeForce GT710 natively supported in Big Sur
BIOS is F5b

Hi there.

Is the Windows installation on a separate drive? Or have you erased it and tried to install Big Sur again?

Check if there's a Windows Boot Manager entry in your BIOS boot selection menu.

It seems logical that something Windows did subsequently has upset your previously working set-up. I can't see anything in the EFI folder you uploaded but check in the EFI partition for anything left by Windows.

:)

Motherboard
Gigabyte z590i vision d
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
Hi there.

Is the Windows installation on a separate drive? Or have you erased it and tried to install Big Sur again?

Check if there's a Windows Boot Manager entry in your BIOS boot selection menu.

It seems logical that something Windows did subsequently has upset your previously working set-up. I can't see anything in the EFI folder you uploaded but check in the EFI partition for anything left by Windows.

:)
Initially I used the same SSD, but later added a SATA drive which is where Windows resides now. I have unplugged it from the system though. So there is no Windows Boot manager in the BIOS. I formatted the NVMe drive from terminal as well just to make sure there are no remnants of Windows partitioning left. I even updated to the latest F5c BIOS but it made no difference.

Last edited:

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
ASRock B560M itx/ac - OC 0.6.8
CPU
i3-10320
Graphics
GT710 - 1920x1080
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Initially I used the same SSD, but later added a SATA drive which is where Windows resides now. I have unplugged it from the system though. So there is no Windows Boot manager in the BIOS. I formatted the NVMe drive from terminal as well just to make sure there are no remnants of Windows partitioning left. I even updated to the latest F5c BIOS but it made no difference.

Okay, fair enough.

However something must be different for the second install of Big Sur if Windows hasn't done any damage.

All those screengrabs are from after the problem and during shutdown.

How are you installing? USB stick?

Motherboard
Gigabyte z590i vision d
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
Okay, fair enough.

However something must be different for the second install of Big Sur if Windows hasn't done any damage.

All those screengrabs are from after the problem and during shutdown.

How are you installing? USB stick?
Yes, USB drive. I just tried to install Catalina. After the second reboot before OS goes through the initial setup, I got kernel panic.

Attachments

• IMG_20210416_193841.jpg
    IMG_20210416_193841.jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 14

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes, USB drive. I just tried to install Catalina. After the second reboot before OS goes through the initial setup, I got kernel panic.
Some comments/suggestions:
  • When installing Windows we should physically remove/disconnect all macOS and Linux drives.
  • Perform CMOS Reset and configure BIOS parameters once again, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults).
  • Be sure to disable any Serial port in BIOS if there's a parameter for that.
  • Also disable CFG-Lock from the Boot section of BIOS Setup.
  • When the macOS installer starts for the first time, go to Disk Utility and reformat the internal macOS SSD:
    • Name: any name
    • Format: APFS
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
      • If you don't see an option for "Scheme", click the parent or top-level name of the macOS SSD
  • If you encounter a kernel panic, capture a video of the boot process and skip a few frames back until you see log messages just before the kernel panic.
    • The screenshot you posted seems to implicate AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext, but I cannot be sure until I see another page of logs just before that.

Motherboard
Asus WS X299 SAGE 10G
CPU
i9-7960X
Graphics
WX4100
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@sash11 Try SecureBootModel-Disabled for GT710 (for me is a must)

Motherboard
Gigabyte z590i vision d
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
Some comments/suggestions:
  • When installing Windows we should physically remove/disconnect all macOS and Linux drives.
  • Perform CMOS Reset and configure BIOS parameters once again, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults).
  • Be sure to disable any Serial port in BIOS if there's a parameter for that.
  • Also disable CFG-Lock from the Boot section of BIOS Setup.
  • When the macOS installer starts for the first time, go to Disk Utility and reformat the internal macOS SSD:
    • Name: any name
    • Format: APFS
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
      • If you don't see an option for "Scheme", click the parent or top-level name of the macOS SSD
  • If you encounter a kernel panic, capture a video of the boot process and skip a few frames back until you see log messages just before the kernel panic.
    • The screenshot you posted seems to implicate AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext, but I cannot be sure until I see another page of logs just before that.
I have disabled the network interface in the BIOS and cleaned up all mentions in config.plist
System is still in bootloop. Not sure if you can make out anything on the video.

P.S. Something weird is going on with the lan controller. Enabled it in the bios, booted into windows and saw that lan card is not working properly. It did work before without errors. I am beginning to think that this board's bios has something to do with all the problems I'm having...

Attachments

• VID_20210417_004434.mp4.zip
    20.1 MB · Views: 5
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    42.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: